• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

German Accipiter Identification (1 Viewer)

Now that we have the inner secondary barring feature, I wouldn't want to tick an accipiter on jizz only (personally).

EDIT: Maybe unless it's obviously got a (relatively) big hulking neckless head of a Sparrowhawk or is perched close enough for me to compare tarsus width and eye diameter.

Last edited:
Now that we have the inner secondary barring feature, I wouldn't want to tick an accipiter on jizz only (personally).

EDIT: Maybe unless it's obviously got a (relatively) big hulking neckless head of a Sparrowhawk or is perched close enough for me to compare tarsus width and eye diameter.
Could you point me in the direction of any research on eye diameter please. I have a feeling that there is a subtle but significant difference in the proportions and placement of the eye between Goshawk and Sparrowhawk and I'm hoping there may be mention of this in studies somewhere. 🤞👍

Not sure where I first heard of it (probably on BF), but I tried to copy the wording from the last Collins.
Sparrowhawk:
From Collins 2nd Ed; "(rule of thumb): tarsus thinner than diameter of eye, the opposite in Goshawk)."

Did you note the flight pattern?

Once again the Collins states: "Flight characteristic, a few quick wingbeats relieved by a short glide, pigeon-quick wingbeats makes the bird ascend, and brief glides descend, thus flight path slightly undulating, not as steady as the Goshawk."

But check out this article, linked from a recent thread: Northern Goshawk flight identification and ageing in the UK - Revised and updated, particularly what the author refers to as "second plumage". Secondary barring still needs care and may well not be definitive in field observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back