• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Additional pair of binoculars? (1 Viewer)

mao

Hi,

this question may have been asked a few times before but since I don´t have any specific budget or preferences (more than maybe some upper limits, lower demands and a specific reference) I ask again...
I own a pair of Swarowskis 8x20 which are great. Bought it on sale for an embarrising low price and I bring it with me all the time. Looking for another pair for sort of the same purpose, bird and wildlife watching. What I ask for that the 8x20 doesn´t have is:

Better in low light (evening, night).
Field of view.
Perhaps less tiring for the eyes when using it for longer periods.
Weight and size is not an issue.
Waterproof is not neccesary but must handle rain and humidity.

I don´t really want to spend the amount of money for another pair of swarowski, leica etc. but I want similar or better quality than the pair I already own.
Maybe not possible?
I have looked at Minox BL 8x44 HD for example.
Porros are also an alternative. There are a pair of Opticron 8x32 SR.GA for sale at a shop where I live but I understand that these are in another price level and probably lower quality than the swarowskis I own, although the reviews look promising. Porros seems to give better quality for the money spend as I understand it?

So, am I thinking in the right direction?
Or should I save for a year or two and spend a lot of money on the best?
Are there bargains to be made?

Hi,

any halfway decent 8x30 will run circles around an 8x20, be it swaro or not. It will:

- be brighter in low light situations, although not necessarily in bright sunlight
- have a vastly wider field of view
- be a lot easier to use due to a bigger exit pupil and thus less finicky eye placement plus ergonomics

I'm quite sure that the SR GA 8x32 will do so too, although I don't know them. Maybe take your baby swaros to that store and compare them to the Opticrons and maybe you find a well known alpha in 8x32 at that store too, so you could write down your impressions on those three - tech data are not so interesting as they can be found online, but stuff like how large is the sweet spot - does the image get blurry at 60 or 80% or is it sharp to the edge or colour rendition - just hold the EP in front of a well lit piece of white paper and look through the objectives and write down which bins are brighter and if there's a colour cast.
Or if the eye relief figures are correct - bring some glasses - real ones, shades or the ones from 3D cinema and try if you can see the whole field of view with the glasses too.

Or try to stretch your budget to fit in a pair of Nikon E2 and get those - a nicer view than those either needs serious luck to score a used pair of Nikon SEs, roughly double the budget for a swaro Habicht with some quirks or investing $$$$ in an alpha.

Joachim

Hi,

this question may have been asked a few times before but since I don´t have any specific budget or preferences (more than maybe some upper limits, lower demands and a specific reference) I ask again...
I own a pair of Swarowskis 8x20 which are great. Bought it on sale for an embarrising low price and I bring it with me all the time. Looking for another pair for sort of the same purpose, bird and wildlife watching. What I ask for that the 8x20 doesn´t have is:

Better in low light (evening, night).
Field of view.
Perhaps less tiring for the eyes when using it for longer periods.
Weight and size is not an issue.
Waterproof is not neccesary but must handle rain and humidity.

I don´t really want to spend the amount of money for another pair of swarowski, leica etc. but I want similar or better quality than the pair I already own.
Maybe not possible?
I have looked at Minox BL 8x44 HD for example.
Porros are also an alternative. There are a pair of Opticron 8x32 SR.GA for sale at a shop where I live but I understand that these are in another price level and probably lower quality than the swarowskis I own, although the reviews look promising. Porros seems to give better quality for the money spend as I understand it?

So, am I thinking in the right direction?
Or should I save for a year or two and spend a lot of money on the best?
Are there bargains to be made?
Nikon 8x30 EII .

Mao, post 1,
Consider the kite Lynx 8x30 roof, waterproof, large field of view, excellent handling properties (unlike the Nikon EII) and bright image.
Gijs van Ginkel

For dark Scandinavian winters (and springs and autumns?) I would rather recommend a 8x42, for example a Zeiss Conquest 8x42 HD for more viewing comfort and more reach at dawn and twilight. You get a lot of optical quality for a reasonable price.

In my case I find the handling of some porros better than most roofs, but this is very subjective. You should definitevily try for yourself.

Good luck,

George

Last edited:
Hi,

any halfway decent 8x30 will run circles around an 8x20, be it swaro or not. It will:

- be brighter in low light situations, although not necessarily in bright sunlight
- have a vastly wider field of view
- be a lot easier to use due to a bigger exit pupil and thus less finicky eye placement plus ergonomics

While not my favorite binocular,
my 8x32 is my most used due to light weight.
40-42mm will improve the light gathering,
IF the weight is not an issue for you.

edj

Mao, post 1,
Consider the kite Lynx 8x30 roof, waterproof, large field of view, excellent handling properties (unlike the Nikon EII) and bright image.
Gijs van Ginkel
Just keep in mind if optics are your priority the Kite Lynx 8x30 is not in the same class as the Nikon 8x30 EII. The Nikon EII can be had for around $400 but I believe the Kite is around $500. Handling properties are a personal thing. You might prefer the handling of the small porro over the roof. Some people do. If you are used to using a 20mm a 30mm like the EII will surprise you how much better it is. A LOT bigger FOV also. If you are used to the quality of a Swarovski the only roof that is going to make you happy is a bigger Swarovski or another Alpha roof like the Zeiss SF or a quality porro like the Nikon 8x30 EII if you don't want to spend $2K. "Once you try alpha you can never go backa."

Last edited:
I have tried Alphas and am quite happy going back to lesser quality.
In fact I usually use the lesser quality binoculars for convenience, ease of use, and that I am quite happy to leave them gathering dust in the open for instant use. If they gather too much dust I clean them.

My camera is also 8 years old or more and just lives in my pocket unprotected. It is the quickest camera I know. One second from my pocket to taking a photo.
More modern cameras are a pain.

From what I'm reading including some very extensive expert reviews, the differences in optical quality between a mid range bino and something like a Swarvo SLC are very little indeed. My advice would be to look up the reviews for Zeiss Conquest HD's and the range of Hawke binoculars for example. There are other manufacturers doing great things but I'm no familiar with their products.

Before this thread gets too silly I'd just like to point out that the exit pupil of the Minox 8x44 has more than twice the area of an 8x30 and will have far superior low light capability. If I remember correctly it also has less field curvature than the porros mentioned and will therefore have a bigger sweet spot, particularly in low light. I wouldn't count neither porro amongst the very best for CA either. All the unsealed binoculars I own have fogged up sooner or later when taken from the warm, humid environment inside my jacket into the cold. Fortunately only temporary inconvenience so far.

Those two 8x30 porros mentioned really are very good, but not best at everything. Just depends on your priorities.

David

Last edited:
Mao, post 1,
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello all,

I was waiting for Gijs to write about he the Kite Lynx. I have owned the Nikon EII, and I could not vouch for its resistance to rain and humidity. It has a fairly delicate feel but I never did it damage. If one were to use it for hiking or mountain walking, one should keep it safely in a pack until used.

Try before you buy is always good advice.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Arthur and Mao,
I also should mention the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32: excellent binocular for its price (889 euro), a binocular that is a very strong competitor for the Leica Ultravid HD-plus 8x32 of more then 1800 euros. Certainly worth a try. And, as David said: try before you buy.
Gijs van Ginkel

Before this thread gets too silly I'd just like to point out that the exit pupil of the Minox 8x44 has more than twice the area of an 8x30 and will have far superior low light capability. If I remember correctly it also has less field curvature than the porros mentioned and will therefore have a bigger sweet spot, particularly in low light. I wouldn't count neither porro amongst the bery best for CA either. All the unsealed binoculars I own have fogged up sooner or later when taken from the warm, humid environment inside my jacket into the cold. Fortunately only temporary inconvenience so far.

Those two 8x30 porros mentioned really are very good, but not best at everything. Just depends on your priorities.

David
"Those two 8x30 porros mentioned really are very good, but not best at everything. Just depends on your priorities."

I agree. The porro's are not the best at everything BUT they have the best optics for the money. So if optics are your priority and you don't want to spend a lot of money then porro's are your best choice. Porro's are the best value optically for the money. That is a fact.

Last edited:
Wow, eleven answers in less than 24 hours!
I am making a list and will look into your suggestions. The range of binoculars at local stores are actually quite good and I´ll try to find a few alternatives and compare them as far as possible at the store.

Problem is that I really don´t know what I want since this is kind of new for me. But I own a fair amount of camera lenses including both zeiss and leica and understand the value of good optics.
What I like with my small 8x20 is the size and quality of the optics, at least at daytime. In open areas the fov is ok too. The fact that it´s small makes me bring it with me quite often and that´s worth a lot! I can for example have it in the back pocket of a cycling jersey and it has given me quite a few interesting observations on cycling tours when birdwatching isn´t my first priority. As said that´s worth a lot!
About "size and weight is not an issue" is not really that it´s not an issue but I´m looking for something to bring when I´m particularly out with birds or wildlife in mind.
8x30 -> 8x40 (42, 44...) is about right in that sense. A 7x50 porro, for example, is too big and heavy.

Thanks again for all suggestions. I read and take notes!

Hi mao,

Agree with Gijs about the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32. I have one since 2010, my carry everywhere binocular. Cannot imagine to travel without it. For me, one of the Best Buy in binoculars.

Good luck!

PHA

Hi mao,

Agree with Gijs about the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32. I have one since 2010, my carry everywhere binocular. Cannot imagine to travel without it. For me, one of the Best Buy in binoculars.

Good luck!

PHA
The Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 is a good roof prism binocular but no better optically than the Nikon 8x30 EII in performance according to Holger Merlitz and it is over twice as expensive. Also, Allbino's don't think it is nearly as good as the Nikon EII with the Nikon getting a score of 135.2 and a ranking of 10th place and the Meopta getting a 130.7 and 17th place. Also, Allbino's said in summary about the Meopta "To sum up the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 it seems to be a quite well-done optical instrument but not without flaws. These flaws exactly make it a bit overpriced right now– if you spend almost 600 Euro on a small pair of binoculars you wouldn’t like to have some reason to complain about it." When I tried a Meopta Meostar 8x32 I didn't feel it was a good value either certainly not in the same class optically as a Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD and just as expensive.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/meopta8x32.html
http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x32.html

Last edited:
Hi Dennis,

I say again: "Cannot imagine to travel without it. For me, one of the Best Buy in binoculars."
I also have a Zeiss HT 10x42 and a Swarovski Habicht W GA 10x40. My main binoculars when go to the "range".
So, I am well aware what good optics and mechanics are. Thanks

Good luck!

PHA

When I tried the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 I thought it to be a mediocre roof and a little overpriced for what you get. It had quite a bit of distortion and soft edges for it's price and I thought the colors and contrast were weak and it just did not have a lot of "pop" in my opinion. It also had small eye cups for me. In my opinion the Nikon 8x30 EII or Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD both represent a step up in optical quality from the Meopta and both are a better value for your money.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back