• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adolescent Owls (1 Viewer)

wisnoskij

Hello Birdforum members.

Some owlets just fell out of a tree in my front yard (Edit: Ontario), and was looking for information/advise.

Pics:https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/q85/s720x720/1601432_10152402068214242_6367795938148072291_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/q85/s720x720/10334392_10152402068524242_1770107970103696524_n.jpg

There seem to be a pair of black/dark birds (small, sleek, shiny, A little bigger than the average humming bird) that are overly interested in them. I am not sure if they are just curious, or they hate them, but they have swooped right next to them chatting up a storm a few times. Not sure if all the general bird commotion is evidence that this is more than a failed initial test flight, or this is normal behaviour.

Can/should I put these owlets back in a tree, or just leave them be.
What about feeding them?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 10334392_10152402068524242_1770107970103696524_n[1].jpg
    10334392_10152402068524242_1770107970103696524_n[1].jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Long-eared Owls. I'd just leave them where they are for the parents to feed and look after. The shiny black birds, are they black all over?

Edit: I just noticed it was your first post. Welcome to Bird Forum.

Last edited:
Really? I was looking online and they really looked like fledging screech owls, but I do see that fledging long-eared owls can look similar as well (assuming that all pictures in Google image are correctly labeled), but they can also look very different.

They look moderately homogeneous, but all I can tell you is that they are all very dark colours if not completely black. They seem to have calmed down, I am assuming that they were probably reacting to me being in the area more than the tiny owls (unless some birds are known for attacking fledgling owls).

Any way to be sure they are being fed at night, or do you need to catch the parents in the act to be positive?
Are they endangered at all? I guess all predators are relatively low in number to what one might call natural?

Thanks for all the help.

Eastern Screech Owl is the other possibility. Any idea where the nest is? Long-eared Owls use old stick nests built by other species, screech owls, nest boxes and holes in tree. The adults--assuming nothing has happened to them – will certainly feed the fledglings once darkness has fallen. How safe is your yard? Are there dogs and cats running around? Raccoons?

Small birds of all kinds hate owls, young or old, and often mob them.

Well I am pretty certain of which tree, but I could not tell you where in it. But if they are living in a hole in that tree then there is only one possibility that I can see.

Are there dogs and cats running around? Raccoons?
Yes, But none of them are as bloodthirsty as ones we have had in the past.

How are the owlets doing? I hope they made it through the night. Are they still on the ground?

Have not seen them yet today, but they are probably alright I really do not think these dogs would do anything and I have never seen any of the cats go after anything close to that big.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back