• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for birding in a bike (1 Viewer)

JRP01

Spain
I have read from time to time about people that bird in their bikes. I want it to give it a try but I always need to carry my binoculars on a harness and my camera on a sling, both ready to use. I dont know if this is safe for biking (my camera is a panasonic lumix FZ-82 so is really compact), and i would like to know how people set up their gear to bird in a bike. Thanks

Hi,

I have read from time to time about people that bird in their bikes. I want it to give it a try but I always need to carry my binoculars on a harness and my camera on a sling, both ready to use. I dont know if this is safe for biking (my camera is a panasonic lumix FZ-82 so is really compact), and i would like to know how people set up their gear to bird in a bike. Thanks

Binoculars around the neck, camera in a handlebar pannier, tripod on the rear rack, scope in the rear pannier.

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

Do you go off-road like that? Also I wonder if you get road splash coming up and hitting the bin lens? It's very wet where I live.

In Germany, there are usually at least trails wherever you go - in fact, you're not supposed to leave trails in natural reserves. So depending on what you consider off-road, my answer could be either "yes" or "no" :)

I don't think I ever got road splash on my lenses, but all my bikes have mudguards. I imagine without mudguards, splash from the front wheel might be factor.

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

In Germany, there are usually at least trails wherever you go - in fact, you're not supposed to leave trails in natural reserves. So depending on what you consider off-road, my answer could be either "yes" or "no" :)

I don't think I ever got road splash on my lenses, but all my bikes have mudguards. I imagine without mudguards, splash from the front wheel might be factor.

Regards,

Henning
I've been trying it out a bit on a cyclo-cross bike without mudguards, so far not had that issue. Not sure yet whether its just the lenses are too small a target. If its any distance and still wet underneath I pop them back under the jacket.

Good question!
I’m often taking the bike for birding. I’m also curious about tips and experiences from others.

I keep my binoculars most often around my neck when cycling, with not only rainguards, but also objective covers.
Biking is the main (only real) reason I‘v got objective covers: against splashes, dust, etc., but also just in case of some other potential impact (fall, or e.g. some protruding element of the bike like the bell hitting it when suddenly pulling the breaks due to the binoculars just being hanging around my neck etc.). I have never had any such an impact on my binoculars, but nearly. You loose no more than 1 or 2 seconds opening the objective covers when used to.

If just cycling to/from some place crossing e.g.the city or too much in a hurry to get back (havingalready birded « too long » ;) ) I sometimes put my binoculars in the rear pannier, but first in their own bag/case and with some soft thing at the bottom or so of the cycling bag (e.g.sweater or whatever at hands).

My scope is on my back, on its tripod using a Scopac. I absorb any potential road bump ;). It is very quick to setup this way.
I‘m wondering on how to put the scope and tripod on the bike without fearing the bumps/shocks, because I would take it along more often I thing.

Hi,

Binoculars around the neck, camera in a handlebar pannier, tripod on the rear rack, scope in the rear pannier.

Regards,

Henning
Do you have some padding protecting your scope in the carrier, or are you only riding on very smooth roads?

I’m not doing any cyclocross, MTB or so at all, but there are road sections with cobblestones or dips in the cycling roads you might not always be able to avoid.

Maybe I’m too cautious… But better safe than sorry ;-)

Good question!
I’m often taking the bike for birding. I’m also curious about tips and experiences from others.

I keep my binoculars most often around my neck when cycling, with not only rainguards, but also objective covers.
Biking is the main (only real) reason I‘v got objective covers: against splashes, dust, etc., but also just in case of some other potential impact (fall, or e.g. some protruding element of the bike like the bell hitting it when suddenly pulling the breaks due to the binoculars just being hanging around my neck etc.). I have never had any such an impact on my binoculars, but nearly. You loose no more than 1 or 2 seconds opening the objective covers when used to.

If just cycling to/from some place crossing e.g.the city or too much in a hurry to get back (havingalready birded « too long » ;) ) I sometimes put my binoculars in the rear pannier, but first in their own bag/case and with some soft thing at the bottom or so of the cycling bag (e.g.sweater or whatever at hands).

My scope is on my back, on its tripod using a Scopac. I absorb any potential road bump ;). It is very quick to setup this way.
I‘m wondering on how to put the scope and tripod on the bike without fearing the bumps/shocks, because I would take it along more often I thing.

Do you have some padding protecting your scope in the carrier, or are you only riding on very smooth roads?

I’m not doing any cyclocross, MTB or so at all, but there are road sections with cobblestones or dips in the cycling roads you might not always be able to avoid.

Maybe I’m too cautious… But better safe than sorry ;-)
I do pretty much the same as you. Binoculars around my neck with rainguard and objective covers in place, scope and tripod attached to a scopac. I only cycle about 5 miles so no need for panniers.

Hi,

I don't have a systematic approach to padding, but I always stuff something soft into the pannier that takes the scope, though I think it's not strictly necessary.

As I use Ortlieb panniers that are made from textile, they have stretch enough to dampen "up" jolts, and are soft so they don't transfer "down" jolts. Besides, the scope (in its slightly padded stay-on-case) can "wiggle" in the bag, it won't feel shocks to the bike frame. I don't fear for my scope at all.

(I prefer Vaude panniers due to their far more ergonomic attachment system, but Ortlieb came up with the waterproofed textile panniers with integral hooks first, and mine were a gift from my girl friend who is an Ortlieb fan. They are great when they are on the bike, but I curse a lot when I put them on or take them off.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi,

I don't have a systematic approach to padding, but I always stuff something soft into the pannier that takes the scope, though I think it's not strictly necessary.

As I use Ortlieb panniers that are made from textile, they have stretch enough to dampen "up" jolts, and are soft so they don't transfer "down" jolts. Besides, the scope (in its slightly padded stay-on-case) can "wiggle" in the bag, it won't feel shocks to the bike frame. I don't fear for my scope at all.

(I prefer Vaude panniers due to their far more ergonomic attachment system, but Ortlieb came up with the waterproofed textile panniers with integral hooks first, and mine were a gift from my girl friend who is an Ortlieb fan. They are great when they are on the bike, but I curse a lot when I put them on or take them off.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
Mine are also Ortlieb textile rear carrier bags, probably the same type. I’m quite happy with them, but it is interesting to hear about your preference for the Vaude ones (I have never tried those, had them on my list when looking for some cycling bags, but didn’t know of any practical advantages.)
I also still put something soft like a thick sweateras ‘padding’ when I put my binoculars in there, just in case, but have never put my scope in it yet. Partly also because it would take up quite some space and because I haven’t tried putting the tripod on the rear carrier yet, (The scope actually almost always remains on its tripod.) I should still try it out once.

Hi,

Mine are also Ortlieb textile rear carrier bags, probably the same type. I’m quite happy with them, but it is interesting to hear about your preference for the Vaude ones

Primarily, the Ortliebs are a pain because you need to keep pulling on the carrying handle to keep the hooks unlocked while hanging them onto the bike. As the carrying handle is on the back top edge, they cannot hang straight down as conducive to the process. Any attemp to support them with the free hand to make them hang in a way compatible with the hooks actually going over the rack tubes easily leads to unloading of the carrying and and closing of the hook openings, preventing an installation.

The Vaudes are much more cooperative as they stay unlocked no matter how you handle them, so you can let go of that useless top carrying handle any time you want. To lock the hooks, you just push the panniers gently (or harshly, if you feel like it) inwards, and they close with a satisfying click.

You only need to pull the top handle on the Vaudes to unlock the hooks, which again happens with a satisfying click.

I know pannier bags are subject to emotional attachment just like binocular brands, but the Ortlieb system has a lot of disadvantages for purely texhnical reasons.

The advantage is that you can't forget to lock them once they sit on the rack, as can happen with the Vaudes. This actually happened to me a couple of times over the years, but the hooks of the Vaudes are deep enough that they never came off anyway.

A Vaude with the same kind of water-tight roll-up top as my current Ortliebs might share some of its bad features that have me cursing all the time, but the hook locking system of the Vaudes is very convenient where the Ortliebs have very poor ergonomics.

I can easily put a Vaude bag on by gripping it with both hands on it's left and right sides so that it hangs straight down. The Ortliebs always need one hand on the central top grip, so no symmetric gripping is possible unless you have three arms.

There are more annoying details to this, but I suspect that these might be amplified by my use of more or less non-standard bikes or racks, such as the Tubus Lock trekking rack that probably requires more accurate placement of the panniers, or 20" wheels on my folding bikes that require more accurate placement of the rear hook due to smaller openings between the rack und fender supports.

All of which is handled gracefully by the Vaudes, while the Ortliebs fight back all the time.

But OK, can't forget to lock them. They do have an advantage, can't deny that.

Regards,

Henning

I don't know if it would help on a bike, but I'll say that 'Oregon Pack Works' makes what I think is a brilliant chest pouch. Unlike others, it's very minimal and light but holds the binos in place keeping them from flopping around. The top folds over to provide wx protection but there's no buckle or velcro, so deploying the binos is quick and easy. The straps are not bulky and easily adjustable. They are really a hunting-oriented company but I love their 'BinoBro' for walking/hiking. I have a couple of different sizes, and the green is a nice non-hunter/discreet color. The only downside I've found is that in hot weather, they do trap heat.

Just thought it might work on a bike perhaps... no affiliation with the seller :)

For everyone riding a bike with drop bars or an MTB (or basically any bike where you are not sitting with your back straight up) I can recommend using your binos with a bike specific camera strap like this one Camerastrap | lifeisaride. Prevents the binoculars from dangling around your chest and you still have them ready to use at all times.

Regarding Ortlieb and Vaude panniers: the Ortlieb panniers bags are basically undestroyable and will last a lifetime. The Vaude bags are also very durable but can give you some problems if you are spending a lot of times in very hot climates. I know some people who spend years traveling the world on bike and the Vaude bags seem to regularly fall apart after a couple of days of temperatures of 35C plus.
I totally agree with Henning that the Vaude mechanism is more convenient to use. Also I know people who had the Ortlieb bags detach themselves from the rack while riding rocky roads.

Does anyone ride with pocket/compact bins? I just had this idea so I can keep as streamlined as poss for the long ride home. Would a pair fit inside the pocket of a cycling jersey?

Does anyone ride with pocket/compact bins? I just had this idea so I can keep as streamlined as poss for the long ride home. Would a pair fit inside the pocket of a cycling jersey?
I haven't tried yet, but I think a 8x20 (usually double hinged) should. A 8x25 I don't think would be ideal,at least not a single-hinge one. But someone might have tried yet.

I realise this is an old thread but I don't get very far by car and was wondering about trying using a bike instead, however I do like taking a camera along with me which causes some problems.
I wondered whether using a camera backpack would keep the camera safe enough? And then I would just have the binoculars round my neck

There various companies that make padded handlebar bags that can be used to store cameras and bins in a quick-draw configuration.

Such as...

I realise this is an old thread but I don't get very far by car and was wondering about trying using a bike instead, however I do like taking a camera along with me which causes some problems.
I wondered whether using a camera backpack would keep the camera safe enough? And then I would just have the binoculars round my neck
I never specifically went birding on a bike but regularly took binoculars with me when travelling by bike.
I had a small basket on the handlebars with a towel in the bottom where my binoculars sat. It was OK for occasional sightings (along the River Mersey or similar) but I'd have needed something else for "birding by bike"

I've never tried keeping a camera hanging from my body while cycling any real distance.

When I go birding by bike (frequently) with a scope (occasionally), the scope and tripod travel in the panniers (padded) until I get there, then I bike with one hand and the scope over a shoulder while at the birding area. When I do this, I have to take more care / use some tricks to keep the bins from swinging around as I need my one free hand to bike with. Frequently the bins get tucked inside a garment.

Honestly, the biggest annoyance of biking + binoculars is managing a strap / carrying system for bins where the bins don't hit your knees/crotch/thighs/etc while pedaling, but are there and ready for birding. I frequently go birding with a small pair of bins on a simple, long strop, carried bandolier style, and I have to keep swinging them around to my back while pedaling to avoid eventually getting bruised thighs. I keep doing it, it's mildly annoying, but I've not found anything better. Harnesses are worse as you can't swing the bins to the rear, and anything short enough / compact enough to carry the bins high enough to not hit my legs is just generally uncomfortable for birding, so I keep swinging my small bins around to my back while cycling around my local reserve :)

Honestly, the biggest annoyance of biking + binoculars is managing a strap / carrying system for bins where the bins don't hit your knees/crotch/thighs/etc while pedaling, but are there and ready for birding. I frequently go birding with a small pair of bins on a simple, long strop, carried bandolier style, and I have to keep swinging them around to my back while pedaling to avoid eventually getting bruised thighs. I keep doing it, it's mildly annoying, but I've not found anything better. Harnesses are worse as you can't swing the bins to the rear, and anything short enough / compact enough to carry the bins high enough to not hit my legs is just generally uncomfortable for birding, so I keep swinging my small bins around to my back while cycling around my local reserve :)
There are camera straps specifically for riding bikes which will keep the camera (or in this case binoculars) on your back. As I mentioned earlier I have this one: Iifeisaride camera strap (I like the magnetic buckle which can be opened and closed one handed to let you swing the binos to the front) but there are other similar options out there.
Edit: Of course a strap like this shouldn’t be used for a camera with a big lense but for binoculars (I use a 8x32) it works well.

I wondered whether using a camera backpack would keep the camera safe enough?
Of course it would be safe enough. If you already own a camera backpack try if it works for you. Even a decent regular backpack will do, just pack the camera in a way it’s not constantly rolling around in the backpack. Your body will work as a suspension and absorb smaller shocks.
I found out pretty quickly that I don’t like a backpack when cycling longer distances and bought a handlebar bag for the camera. I also own panniers which I will use if I go birding with a scope.

I've never tried keeping a camera hanging from my body while cycling any real distance.

When I go birding by bike (frequently) with a scope (occasionally), the scope and tripod travel in the panniers (padded) until I get there, then I bike with one hand and the scope over a shoulder while at the birding area. When I do this, I have to take more care / use some tricks to keep the bins from swinging around as I need my one free hand to bike with. Frequently the bins get tucked inside a garment.

My solution: I am regularily using a chest gear (MARSUPIAL, see photo) for my bino when biking (sope and tripod in special panniers ["Koenig Photobags"]). By that the bino is not conflicting with my pedalling at all. With this setup I can even stop, put my feet on the ground and get the bino out for a quick glance and restore it fast and easily.
Werner
20230112_Chest_Gear.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back