• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for N. Devon birding spots (1 Viewer)

pauljones

Hi all,

I'm off on a family holiday to Croyde in N Devon for a couple of weeks which will mostly consist of beach, cream teas, beach, cream teas and beach (with two under 6's we still go to the beach even if it is raining a bit!). I'll be able to get a couple of morning passes to go birding and will probably be able to pop out for the odd evening (kids in bed by 7:30).

So I'm hoping that BF can supply me with some local knowledge to make the best of the short time I'll have.

All advice and recommendations gratefully received (I notice the RSPB have a reserve nearby but I've never seen it mentioned here or anywhere else?)

Thanks for reading,
Paul

For waders and terns go to Northam Burrows/Skern about 2 hours before high tide. Turn off the Bideford to Northam Road towards Appledore then second left (Broad Lane) off the main road. Continue across minor road junctions and on down the road which used to lead to the tip at the far end. The bay will be on your right with the Burrows and Golf Course on your left.
Braunton Burrows much nearer Croyde is also worth a look. Turn left at Braunton town centre towards Saunton and Croyde. After 1 mile take a minor road left to the Burrows. You can drive down a rough track towards the estuary mouth.

the river Taw can be good,RSPB Isley marsh or Fremmington Pill can be good on the south side of the river through Barnstaple.Isley prob is the best, you can walk around what was the old power station, there was a little gull there recently.Make sure you go to northam burrows on a high or rising tide, and evenings tend to be best to avoid the dog walkers, there were little terns there recently too.Sherpa marsh may be worth a try, near Wrafton.Park by the shops at Velator, walk back around by the houses and then you can walk down the right hand side of the river Caen near the airfield.Check the pond for waders etc.Its leads out to the river Taw and if you wish can walk along the river towards Barnstaple, by the airfield.Should be good for little egrets and an osprey has been around for a while...

Hope that helps

Stuart

For a quick view of the Taw Estuary drive towards Barnstaple from Braunton and at the traffic lights turn right into Pottington Industrial Estate. Once in the Estate drive down to the left corner and you will see a footpath between the industrial units that leads on to the Tarka Trail. You can walk along the Trail in either direction.
The old power station referred to by Stuart is at Yelland. You can now drive down the road off the B3233 at the west end of Lower Yelland village. Park by the small oil terminal and take the Tarka Trail right and you will reach Islay Marsh RSPB after about half a mile. For some reason they have not removed the sign which says Private Road at the top of the road which leads down to the old power station but this can safely be ignored now. This road has speed bumps.

Hi Paul,

I stayed in Croyde Bay last year and had a great time. I've pasted below a summary of what I saw and my impression of the place in general...

Had a lovely weekend staying in Croyde. It rained going down, and rained coming back but the weekend was smashing and sunny with the single short shower resulting in a double rainbow.

Birdwise had some close views of Kestrels and Buzzards. Especially the male Kestrel that was sitting on telephone line waiting for the approaching showers and thus ignoring me as I approached to get great views.

The most interesting bird was a Little Egret on the rocky shoreline south of Croyde Bay. Apparently a number live in the estuary to the south.

Stonechats and Wheatear's were easily observed on Baggy Point.

And not forgetting the Oystercatchers which were abundant.

The scenery was lovely with the best being Morte Point north of Wollacombe. The paths to the point are easy and my family enjoyed the bracing winds and crashing waves at the rocky point.

The award for the most helpful birds goes to the gulls and corvids who were using our caravan roof as a landing pad. The caravan was lovely (and cheap) once we'd built the toddler barricades, keeping her out of the kitchen area and away from the front door.

Wollacombe area is smashing.. Even saw 30 odd Red Deer in a small herd on the way home across the edge of Exmoor.

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I only managed a couple of quick trips due to the weather more than family commitments and took advantage of devon.birders "quick view of the estuary" when "popping to Braunton" (Little Egret, Dunlin, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Common Tern and the usual gulls). I also had some interest on family walks along Baggy Point (including a diving Peregrine and a kestral hovering only yards away) and views across the fields around Croyde (at times seeing 4 or 5 Buzzards and a few Kestrals at the same time).

Thanks again,
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back