• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Advice for someone who has a hard time ID’ing birds ... (1 Viewer)

melisande

Wow. The last two posts are really interesting. I just realized that I might have a mild form of prosopagnosia myself. In any case, my husband is considerably better at recognizing human faces than I am. One of my frustrations with movies is that I have a hard time recognizing characters when they change their clothes/hairstyles and thus sometimes find movies hard to follow. I have also had the experience where people start talking to me like they know me and I just don’t know who they are (not frequently, thankfully). My husband doesn’t have this problem at all and in fact has often expressed astonishment at my ability not to “get it.”

LOL, joke’s on me, I guess. In general, it is probably more useful to be able to recognize human, than bird faces .... 😀

tconzemi

Tom
Supporter
Europe
LOL, joke’s on me, I guess. In general, it is probably more useful to be able to recognize human, than bird faces .... 😀
not so sure about that, I have talked to hundreds of people in my life that stopped me somewhere shouting my name, and when my wife asks me later who they were, many many times I can only say: 'I have no idea' :rolleyes:. I don't feel handicaped in any way and I know that the same happened to my late father. I have far less problems with birds (though bird calls stand a mystery to me) :)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Hmm, I seem to have the opposite dilemma- I’m the person yelling hi to complete strangers in the street because I did recognise them - as someone else! Maybe you were one of them Tom 😂

Perhaps this occurs with my birdwatching too? I’m now wondering about all the rarities I missed in flocks of birds over the years because I thought they were all a species I knew 😏

Users who are viewing this thread