• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

agressive hummingbirds (2 Viewers)

ticomique

Canada
Greetings from Northeastern Québec. Every year, no more than 2 male hummingbirds fight over my feeder. All summer. If I put up TWO, will they just exhaust themselves even more, or would that make things more peaceful ? Thanks for your time. Gary C.

That is their common behavior. You might try spacing the 2 feeders apart by quite a distance and see if that changes anything. Otherwise, this is what male hummers are known to do ;)

That is their common behavior. You might try spacing the 2 feeders apart by quite a distance and see if that changes anything. Otherwise, this is what male hummers are known to do ;)
Thank you ! Distancing feeders is impossible, but glad to know it's their normal behaviour. Will concentrate on quality feeding.

they say to set up 2nd feeder or plants somewhere that can't be seen from the first feeder.

The fighting may not be all hostile, I think some of it's social. Last year it seemed like the fledged siblings from the same family on my property spent a lot of time play-fighting and goofing around. If you have anywhere to put flowers in containers or the ground that can spread them out more. I have some flower pots on my front steps and a few more on the back steps, that should separate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back