• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Lark (1 Viewer)

They do but in that area Thekla is most common. Crested are around but much more scarce
There's no Crested on the Sagres peninsula (which includes Cape St Vincent). There's probably been the odd record over the years, but i've done about 60 days of bird surveys in that area with teams of 8 -10 mostly Portuguese guys, inc locals, and i never heard of a record of one in that time. It's been discussed a few times on BF, a search of Thekla + Sagres may lead to some discussions on here. Hope that helps.

There's no Crested on the Sagres peninsula (which includes Cape St Vincent). There's probably been the odd record over the years, but i've done about 60 days of bird surveys in that area with teams of 8 -10 mostly Portuguese guys, inc locals, and i never heard of a record of one in that time. It's been discussed a few times on BF, a search of Thekla + Sagres may lead to some discussions on here. Hope that helps.
P1 is longer (c2mm?) than PC which is favouring Thekla, in the vast majority of Crested's P1<PC.

Grahame

I hadn't realised that Crested Larks weren't generally to be found there. I took these photos of a bird at Cape St Vincent in November 2009 and had it down as a crested. Any comments would be welcome,

These are the only photos I managed before it vanished.

Attachments

• (1)-2048px.jpg
    (1)-2048px.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 51
  • (2)-2048px.jpg
    (2)-2048px.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Grahame and Jogresh. I'll go with Thekla. Is the convex lower mandible not reliable for ID?
According to Shirihai & Svensson there is some overlap in bill shape and one should always base ID on a full suite of characters. In your 1st image, the bird is turning its head slightly making it more difficult to assess bill shape, a side-on shot would preferable. Your bird does seem rather compact and short-tailed in appearance which favours Thekla. A pity there are no clear views of the upper tail and underwing covers, but the length of P1 is unequivocal, I would suggest its towards the upper limit for Thekla.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back