• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpine Bino Slicker Bandit Glare Blocker (1 Viewer)

mooreorless

I got this Alpine Innovations Bino Slicker Bandit glare blocker for my Birthday from a friend. This really works to keep any glare out of the eyepiece side of a binocular. It feels good against your skin as well. This is not as cheap as the Optics Research Eyeshields. I don't have the Optics Research Eyeshields to compare but I have used them in the past.

Steve

Attachments

• 11-20-16  turkey, eyepiece cover 029 (1280x960).jpg
    11-20-16 turkey, eyepiece cover 029 (1280x960).jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 11-20-16  turkey, eyepiece cover 034 (1280x960).jpg
    11-20-16 turkey, eyepiece cover 034 (1280x960).jpg
    224 KB · Views: 119
  • 11-20-16  turkey, eyepiece cover 036 (1280x960).jpg
    11-20-16 turkey, eyepiece cover 036 (1280x960).jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 128
I put this Bandit eye shield on my Nikon 8x32 SE to see if it would help block out the pole light we have looking at the night sky. I was on my back porch and the pole light is to my right about 100 ft. looking at the night sky with the eyeshields on this binocular I could not see any interference from the pole light, that is other than what area might be lite up some on the ground in front of me. You can adjust to suit the needs with this shield.

I had a look for this, it seems they are not available in the UK, I couldn't find one anyway. Shame, I'd like to give it a try.

I know this is off topic, if only slightly - and apologize for that - but does anyone know if side blockers are available that attach to the side arms and frames of spectacles from the inside?

Alternatively you could purchase a new Nikon 8x32 EDG or 10x32 EDG or any EDG which all come standard with very comfortable individual rubber Horned Eye Cup glare shields designed somewhat like the one shown above except that they easily slip on and off the individual eyepieces. (They also fit on my 7x42 Victory FL and may work on other binoculars.)

This link shows them fitted on the discontinued EDG I double hinged series.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/nikon-binoculars.php#nikon_edg_binoculars

:king:eek::D;)

Bob

Last edited:
I got this Alpine Innovations Bino Slicker Bandit glare blocker for my Birthday from a friend. This really works to keep any glare out of the eyepiece side of a binocular. It feels good against your skin as well. This is not as cheap as the Optics Research Eyeshields. I don't have the Optics Research Eyeshields to compare but I have used them in the past.

Steve

I have those Field Optics Research eye shields. They work OK, but sometimes the oculars fog up from lack of air flow.

How do those Bandits handle IPD? Do they stretch easily, or decrease your IPD over time?

Steve
I have tried the Alpine Innovations Glare Blocker and the Field Optics eye shields. Both to me were uncomfortable and they just fogged up to easily for me. I returned mine.

Last edited:
I have those Field Optics Research eye shields. They work OK, but sometimes the oculars fog up from lack of air flow.

How do those Bandits handle IPD? Do they stretch easily, or decrease your IPD over time?

Hi Longboat,

The Bandit seems to stretch pretty easy and it does not affect the IPD on this Swarovski 8x30 SLCneu . I don't wear glasses most of the time while using binoculars. It works ok when I wear my glasses but I like it better W/O glasses. My left eye is -2 diopters and plano for right eye so I can not wear glasses if I want to except to drive a vehicle.

Bob Ceasar I always like the looks of the horned eyecups of the Nikon EDG series!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back