• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An unusual ring-necked parakeet? (1 Viewer)

Mis

This has arrived on the feeders today along with the normal ring-necked parakeets. It appears to have the same markings, and be the same size, as a male ring-necked parakeet. It's not an albino. I know that breeders have produced colour variations, but this is the first time I've seen anything other than green in the wild.

Attachments

• greyRNP.jpg
    greyRNP.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 39
This has arrived on the feeders today along with the normal ring-necked parakeets. It appears to have the same markings, and be the same size, as a male ring-necked parakeet. It's not an albino. I know that breeders have produced colour variations, but this is the first time I've seen anything other than green in the wild.

What a very unusual bird, Mis. As you've said there are a lot of colour moprhs in RNP, most notably a 'lutino' yellow morph and a blue morph. Your bird looks like the blue morph, but with the blue colour so washed out that it appears grey. Why breeders would try to achieve a boring grey bird, when the green wild type is so attractive, I do not know, but I guess it's just to say they can. I wonder if this bird is an escaped bird, or whether it's a throwback bird that's been born in the wild?

Very interesting Glenn......I haven't a clue what it is except a grey Ring Necked Parakeet.......I hope you find out more......let us know if you do.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back