• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And I thought I'd have to travel! (1 Viewer)

sidwithey

I was planning on seeing one of the large starling roosts this winter, Oxford or the Somerset Levels seemed closest, but the traveling with only a chance of witnessing a good display would have probably meant I'd never got off my backside until it was too late.
Imagine my surprise that I discovered one only a few miles away near the centre of Swindon, that well known ornithological hotspot.|=o| I think it is a pretty decent display although perhaps not up to the real big ones.

Anyway here are a few pics, and if anyone wants to know a good viewing position let me know.

Sid

Attachments

• pic 147size.jpg
    pic 147size.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 109
  • pic 151size.jpg
    pic 151size.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 103
  • pic 152size.jpg
    pic 152size.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 115
  • pic 165size.jpg
    pic 165size.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 138
They're superb pictures Sid! It's mesmorising watching the show they put on, isn't it.

D

Fantastic photos, Sid. And such a glorious sky behind them. I am not that far from Swindon and wouldn't mind zipping along the M4 to see that.

Thanks Delia and Kits for your comments. I've pinned the location where I viewed from, Galton Way, SN2 2DU. This is a dead end road with industrial units next to the railway line. Junction 16 off the M4 would be the best access.
The roosting site looks to be south west in an old landfill site recently planted with trees

Edit, there are more pictures on my site under Wildlife of the Uk - Birds

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...1228,-1.808518&spn=0.025607,0.076818&t=h&z=14

Last edited:
Wow indeed - very cool sight and great shots. Have a small flock on the floodmeadow near my house at the moment that do a nice bit of flocking although only a tiny flock compared to this one, maybe one or two hundred birds all-in. They're a fantastic sight, one day I'd like to see a larger 'show' but the small flocks still really do it for me!

An awesome sight to see isn't it, Sid. I have seen a Starling roost at Slimbridge, a mind boggling event! You had a beautiful sunset too as a lovely backdrop to your Starling displays! Great photo's!:t:

Thanks Delia and Kits for your comments. I've pinned the location where I viewed from, Galton Way, SN2 2DU. This is a dead end road with industrial units next to the railway line. Junction 16 off the M4 would be the best access.
The roosting site looks to be south west in an old landfill site recently planted with trees

Edit, there are more pictures on my site under Wildlife of the Uk - Birds

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...1228,-1.808518&spn=0.025607,0.076818&t=h&z=14

Thanks! :t:

A "black and white" version of these one the BBC Black and White photographer of the year award. Check it out at the Natural History Museum if you are interested!

Super images, Sid. The last Starling cluster looks like a heart. I looked at your site too, those clusters change shape so fast, you did get some brilliant shots.

They're really good. What I particularly like is that they're not just a blur or a ball of darkness (ooh, is that how I should be describing Starlings?!), but you can also pick out individual birds as the pictures are really sharp.

Amazing and I live in Swindon!

The last time I saw them they roosted in Westlea near the site of the old police station. I took the photographs from Galton Way which is a dead end next to the railway line. There are also views from the B&Q car park.

Sid

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back