• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (5 Viewers)

Mmmm just had a private email via FB, someone want to buy my latest effort, and one that i had done earlier last year..........Ive never sold anything, given some a way, but never for cold cash.....wot to do wot to do..?????

Not far away......

if you think Ive been quiet for the past few weeks, wrong........I've gone totally off piste and done somthing completely different.
painting 009.jpg
(14X10 in Acylics on 'Canvas effect' 240g paper)
But dont worry, Im back to my targets for the year.........

Update

Not so much of an update, but a slight confession.....
Since making the statement that i would be painting one particular theme this year, I have to confess that ive really struggled with it, well almost everthing to be honest. Ive had the great ides right up to the point of striking the first splash of colour, then ive either lost the drive or the will to carry on. That said, Ive still got the ideas scribbled in a pad, and bucket loads of Photog material to work from to add to the ideas, but probably about it for now.
The good news is that I am currently working on an A3 piece, and although Ive gone back to the Impasto style -Which at the moment suits me, I am really enjoying it, and really hope to complete soon (hence no WIP's photo incase i jinx it).. Its still on a similar topic, but working on 'Harbour reflections', from photo material that Im cropping, and using a small piece to make the finished item........:t:
Ive been dipping into the forum to keep upto date with everyone else, some really great material emerging this year........Just hope I can add somthing here to the 'halls of Fame'

I can understand your feelings totally - I seem to be there all the time at the moment - only a few pieces get done out of all the amazing things I've seen and want to get on paper, seems that when i have the time, the inspiration leaves me. Crack on, keep the juices flowing a bit and sometimes the results will surprise you.

Diversion

The 'Harbour reflections' has taken a slight delay, I guess I got over awed by the size and amount of work in it, so rather than have it ending up in the bin, Ive set it to one side and tried somthing else....
The first 'School Boy' error is placing it dead in the centre, No real thought given to actual layout of the finished item, at this stage its 'blocked' in with the finer (?) detail to start next, mainly in the background with hint of extra reeds and grasses.
artwork 001.jpg artwork 002.jpg
I was considering the use of purple, which I know is a 'bully' colour, mainly for the darker shadow of the bird and maybe a flick here and there in the darker parts of the nest...

Your thoughts thus far...?

I know you're worried about the strength of the background blue; Don't be! I've come back for a better look and I like the background, it has the look of 'stormlight', that colour you get in the sky wneh you're in a patch of sunlight and there's heavy rain coming in.

Mike

Its on the ever increasing 'unfinished' pile, so Ill revisit it sometime soon....otherwise Ill need a bigger room...

Serious Competition

A quick shameless plug for Mr H Snr, who like me has been painting for about two years or so, having taken some lessons from a local club. Like me, no previous painting expirience except the photography aspect. This is his first 'show' at a local ARTS WEEKEND, Unfortunatly he'd given quite a few away before the show was announced, so not a lot of stock to put on display. The 'Harbour Dolphins' was painted from the photo (left) which he took on his last cruise. The Mallard painting is from one of my Piccies.!!

eric's paintings.JPG

Ive now come back from a few weeks holiday, and have loads of material to work from, still hoping to stick to my brave statement of producing work relating to the sea and fishing....But at the moment have hit the wall for enthusiasm. Lack of real time and concentration are the main issues......

New Ground

After watching Mike in action last week, I decided to have another go at the Acylics, The promise of Sea Scape and fishing related subjects has become a mind destroying subject for now.....So this is a fresh start with my more than ample stock of photographs for which I make no appology at this stage..
Acylic Sparrow.jpg
Still very much 'In Progress', with lots of colour re arrangement as I progress. If anything, Ive learnt to slow down (again)

I always think its worth perusing the second hand book shops....I happened across a nice book (which now resides upon my shelf), which I found of interest 'One Man's Island' Paintings and sketches from the Isle of May by Keith Brockie. Very similar style to a certain Tim who appears on this Forum.
As to my painting ?, Im struggling to finish a piece which I started a few weeks ago, Its nearly done, just needs minor tweeking. Sadly its not Avian related, but a worthy journey for me on many levels, which saw the product evolve from my original concept.
Despite my rash statements for having a 'subject for the year, Its still ongoing. Whilst Mike the Muse has been away, Ive been experimenting with the use of acylics and learning to paint properly as opposed to my current style of 'impasto'. So after my retreat to the lair, Im hoping to have produced at least one item before the end of the year.

Just back from 2 weeks in deepest darkest Cornwall, and armed with over 700 photos of avian subjects, including Wheatears, Grey wagtails (A first for me), Grey plovers (?), and a few distant shots of a Buzzard, perched high up on a Engine house chimmney stack, and more importantly - my fishing boat related photos. Im bouyed up with ideas at the moment, but the realism of returning to work will no doubt reduce me to a standstill. managed to get minimal sketching / colour pencil scribbles done, but no acylic painting due to the amount of rain endured....Im also aware that I have a stack of unfinished items that need completing.
Also took time out to see the exhibition of Kurt Jackson, a local Cornish Landscaper who has a very unique style....(http://www.kurtjackson.co.uk/index.htm)

Last edited:
For those of you who dont follow FaceBook - Im just spending a little time, working up my sketches, by adding a little more detail. Its moved on a little since I took this shot, but a few more of these need to be done before I even attempt any Acylic painting...... (sorry the flash has blown out some of the detail). If I'm honest, I was quite suprised by what I achieved......Guess I really shouldn't be with all the scribblings Ive done over the years.
artwork sketches a.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back