• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andy's field sketches (3 Viewers)

A big big yes to this one - I have to admit that I didn't see the humourous references at first - I just got a general feel of 'hilariously ridiculous' that I get with puffins. This is a wonderful piece that goes above and beyond the usual puffin pictures, and the changes have worked. Wonderful!

Knocking back the rock a couple of stops has made a huge difference to th look of this one. It's added depth and freed the flying bird, good call!

Mike

I love the colours in this, and the humour thats been spoken about already by others here....Dare I say it - This will fly orf the wall.....

Had not commented on this before now, held back to be honest and decided to wait and see.
Suffice to say the finished painting is up to your usual heady standard! The changes have elevted it even higher, had felt the birds were a litle squashed in, but the litle push to the left has made all the difference and it has all come together wonderfully. Top class painting, full of life and character..

Few!! thanks everyone , I'm glad its hit the spot with the character of puffins.
Something they are not short of though eh!

Thanks again for everyones input as its made areal difference.

Now onto something completely different , Red Deer Stag , Scotland.
Andy

We missed you here Andy , but it was worth the waiting!
Fabulous artwork once again of the usual high standards!
More please..!!

Paschalis

Been a long time again since i posted on here so I thought I'd post a few sketches from earlier in the month on a visit to a piece of my favorite countryside . Soar Mill Cove near Salcombe. Colin the farmer, farms for Bird seed production and the farm is a wildlife haven. Good population of Cirl buntings.

you can visit the farm on the web at http://www.soarmillseeds.co.uk/farm/The-Farm.htm

Any way here is my little entry. With a very memorable encounter with a Hobby

Attachments

• sketches5044.jpg
    sketches5044.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 64
  • sketches5045.jpg
    sketches5045.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 68
  • sketches5046.jpg
    sketches5046.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 57
  • sketches5047.jpg
    sketches5047.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 65
  • sketches5048.jpg
    sketches5048.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 71
Here is the last of the set. We seem to be experiencing a but of a Hobby increase in the south west much to my delight. I hope i see this individual again and again!!

Attachments

• sketches5049.jpg
    sketches5049.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 66
  • sketches5050.jpg
    sketches5050.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 65
Excellent sketches as usual....that hobby and goldfinch sketch looks like a good bet for a painting, blurry wings and everything!
Ads

I've not seen your work before, wow wow wow, I love the vertigo inducing slope of the stag work and how you let the antlers go out of the edge, much more lively than the static pose in the center type. The flight sketches make me want to camp on your doorstep and understand how you do that. Do you think of the wings as as one plane bending or what? Any hints deeply appreciated.

I've not seen your work before, wow wow wow, I love the vertigo inducing slope of the stag work and how you let the antlers go out of the edge, much more lively than the static pose in the center type. The flight sketches make me want to camp on your doorstep and understand how you do that. Do you think of the wings as as one plane bending or what? Any hints deeply appreciated.

Colleen, Thankyou for the comments. Interestingly allot of people either love or
hate the stag with Antlers cropped off the top but I thought it was better for
the composition. Also the animal should not be defined by its head gear
should it. Brave or stupid well you decide? Your quite welcome to camp on my
doorstep but they are steep and probably a bit uncomfortable:-O I appreciate
your compliment though.

As Far as understanding wings goes the more you can look at them up close
the better. As a falconer I get to see them real close and moving so you can
understand the mechanics of a birds wing. Each specific group of feathers
has a purpose and is attached in a unique way to the skeleton of the wing.
One of the best ways to
understand wings is to watch extremely slow motion footage of birds taking
off,and flying at level speed. There have recently been some real good pieces of
footage showing this kind of thing. Geese following a boat for example.
I think The series Life of birds with David Attenborough was full of this kind
of thing. Even looking at a recently dead bird is very useful as a learning aid
to understanding how the feathers lay and how the wings move.

I hope this has helped

Eye-poppingly wonderful work - as always.
Nice description about flight too - Those wing shapes with the cut-planes demarked on them are a superb teaching device. Love it!

thank you Andy it does help, and I've rented that DVD, it's on my list to own. In a few weeks I will start a concentrated study of raptors, so hope you will chime in, also I have picked up dead birds, there were lots at the rookery I hung out at in May and June, and have a couple I dried so I can keep looking. it does help, but each wing from each species is different....just so much to learn!

Astounding. The hovering hobby on the second page tops the lot for me, between the shape of the wing, the raises alulas, the curve of the bird's body terminating in the angle of the tail -- everything that's important to capturing such a complex action.

Colleen, Winged Migration is another excellent one for flight footage, if you haven't checked it out already -- the shots taken alongside the birds in flight are phenomenal. (I love seeing how those wing muscles really move -- impossible to observe when they're winging past hundreds of feet above you!)

yep, I'm on it, ordered from amazon,less money, more flight than Life of Birds, I saw the movie 6 times in the theater when it was released and I wasn't even interested in birds then! I took friends 3 times and went on my own 3 times....just to see it really big, won't be the same on tv, but now I have other plans, and I'll love hearing the music again too.

Beautiful work (and that's an understatement I know)! The sketches are awesome - the goldfinches really caught my eye.
As for the two stag paintings - they're superb. I love the slightly more panoramic format - the white Gyr print that was produced a few years ago was quite panoramic if I remember, and it was awesome. Also, the rocks in the foreground beside the stag are perfect - I'd be so tempted to perch a Peregrine on them... or maybe a Merlin... just so many possibilities!

Keith.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back