• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another American in Australia (1 Viewer)

Laurie Knight

Another American (Bird) in Australia

Shades of Gershwin here. Not only has the Lesser Yellowlegs that turned up last year returned to the same location in NSW, a Buff-breasted Sandpiper has turned up at Bundaberg [Wide Bay region of Queensland].
I got to see the bird yesterday. It is a bit longer than a Red-necked Stint [longer necked and apparently smaller headed] but much slimmer round the chest than a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.
I've attached a few shots I took - nothing flash, but they are clear enough for ID purposes.
I was wondering about the migration pattern of this species. Does it do a chain of relatively short hops or does it normally fly between its "summer" zones with a small number of stops?
I wondering if this has a bearing on the American vagrants that turn up in Australia? A BBS is a relatively small wader and I was wondering if species that flew long legs were more likely to make it to significantly out of range areas?

Regards, Laurie

Attachments

• DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0178.JPG
    DSC_0178.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0090.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0174.JPG
    DSC_0174.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_0248.JPG
    DSC_0248.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi Laurie
Wondering if your bird is not maybe a Ruff (Philomachus pugnax). The bill seems slightly decurved and the upperparts looks scalloped or "scaled".
Regards
Amelia

no, definitely a buff-breasted. although some similarities in plumage especially the scaled look to it, buff breasted has a totally different shape, in this case the large "chicken" head with the steap forehead is most conspicous. buffish underparts well visible.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back