• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Bino Vs Scope query? (2 Viewers)

sudsdetailing

Worserer than Andy : )
Wales
Apologies if I've missed other threads. I'm a newbie starting out again after a lifetime gap and currently have a very nice pair of Swaro SCL which I picked up during lockdown. However. I realise that all of my birding will be coastal, estuary, wetland reserve viewing and have suddenly thought that a scope would serve my purpose much better for the next 18 months or so. I can't afford extra expense so would have to trade by Bino for a scope ( and possibly pick up a cheap pair of binos in 18 mths time maybe). I wouldn't be walking very far so the extra weight of tripod/scope shouldn't be a problem. Does my idea sound OK or am I missing something? Thanks 👍

I would suggest you sell your Swaro SLC. With that money you should be able to buy decent binoculars and a decent scope and tripod. You will sacrifice a bit of image quality, but you will be able to identify birds just fine, and since you'll have a scope, you can identify a lot more birds.

When I was actively using either a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope while on foot viewing wildlife, there was always that subject that was just to far away. Yes I agree, I would stick with a binocular for now if I were you. Whether you trade in your Swarovski or buy another binocular, I would buy the highest magnification binocular you could comfortably hold steady before purchasing that scope.

Keep the binoculars and look out for an inexpensive second hand ‘scope.
For example my local optics shop has a Bushnell Spacemaster for £70 and also have a Celestron Hummingbird travel ‘scope for £149

Thanks everyone, the conundrum is of course that every suggestion has merit, so I'm still mulling over the options and perhaps the only way I will truly know is to get some experience of using a scope. So I think I need to 'rent' a scope for a while and see how I go - I don't even know if some people just can't get on with using a scope as opposed to binos so it's a suck it and see moment?

Thanks everyone, the conundrum is of course that every suggestion has merit, so I'm still mulling over the options and perhaps the only way I will truly know is to get some experience of using a scope. So I think I need to 'rent' a scope for a while and see how I go - I don't even know if some people just can't get on with using a scope as opposed to binos so it's a suck it and see moment?
That's a good idea to get experience with a scope without actually buying one.

You definitely don't want to be without binoculars. Thankfully you have a great pair and you could get quite a bit of money selling them. If you end up selling them, you could buy a cheaper pair of binoculars and a nice spotting scope. But if you really like your binoculars and don't want to sell them, then keep them. But certainly don't trade them for just a scope.

I don’t think an inexpensive scope will be very enjoyable to use. I have a decent one and I still eagerly switch back to even moderate quality bins when I’m able. Ymmv, but I’d suggest always considering your scope as a last option, and your binos as your go to… if no scope, maybe you can get sneakier to get closer…

I agree that bins should be considered the go to and a scope as a secondary, but…. If one is watching funds then the Pentax 65mm scope paired with a nice quality fixed power astronomy eyepiece that gives between 30 and 35x is a scope that is affordable and provides images that rival scopes costing much more.

I have used this scope with a TeleVue DeLite fixed power eyepiece, and have compared it side by side with Swarovski ATX and Kowa TSN-883 scopes. The Pentax setup controls CA better than the Swaro ATX, and almost as good as the Kowa. The DeLite eyepiece line reaches infinity focus on this scope and the eyepiece design is small enough that it doesn’t overpower the scope in terms of weight and/or size. The image quality from that Pentax setup was slightly behind both the Swaro and Kowa, but for substantially less money. What one loses with that particular setup is zoom capability and the eyepiece is not waterproof. The Pentax XW astronomy eyeoieces are waterproof, but in comparing it against the TeleVue, I felt the TeleVue had slightly better image. But if one wants a full waterproof setup, the Pentax XW eyepiece is the way to go.

Last edited:
I've been in a similar position. Got an old Bushnell that I decided to upgrade, then changed my mind and figured that because I use my bins every single time I go for a walk, I'd upgraded them instead. And, because for me bins are mobile and scopes static, I'll upgrade the scope once the weather improves enough to make being static more pleasurable (I suppose it depends on what birds are about, but personally, I can't see myself using a scope very much between November and March... brrrrr).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back