• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees 2021 (1 Viewer)

Sorry for posting this here, I thought I was PMing you - another very senior moment.

I don't know what the rules are going to be. UK have said earliest international travel will be 17th May, so even the is fluid depending on what happens now kids are going back to school.

The other question is will countries let the brits in. Again no crystal ball here. Green passports possibly...

The tengmalms owl prospection continues with 3 local birds being found - pretty hard work. I went to check out an area during the day today and after 1h10 walking up hill just got the start of the interesting area/range. It was a nice enough walk but I'm more bothered about the walk out after nightfall. I could hear a very vocal Black Woody, not that difficult when he's making that much noise, and there was an awesome cliff in the middle - I'm thinking I'll eat my hat if there isn't an Eagle Owl in there somewhere!

It was clear after the sortie the other night that a bit of planning was required. Started walking just after 18h00 and were still going up at 20h30! It got very steep, damp and even some snow falling - wasn't fun when you don't get the end result and know you have to get back down the stuff you just scrambled up ans in the dark!

Otherwise a few bits and pieces about and even saw a Lammy level with the car when I got back to the village - close enough for phone shot.

Attachments

• 5935397A-0C8A-418D-AEEB-AFE576A6C8D4.jpeg
    5935397A-0C8A-418D-AEEB-AFE576A6C8D4.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
After a couple of nights out in the snow saw some spring birds yesterday - an English Pied Wag with 3 Yellow Wagtails - both 'not from round these parts'

Another Tengmalms has been discovered not far from me but maybe a couple of weeks too late as we are moving into breeding and less calling! Its about 20 minutes drive and an easy 20 minute walk - although in the woods the snow was knee deep (I went skiing on Sunday morning and walking in the same woods Sunday Monday night). Sunday felt cold but it was bizarre being out and not needing a torch because of the moon and the snow.

Great times despite personally not hearing it!

Forgot that I found a 2nd Rock Sparrow nest the other day - close to the first (next pylon).
Lammergeier over the house along with Egyptian Vulture and my first Short Toed Eagles this year...

Owl prospection has now moved into the second phase which is nest location. Sounds a little daunting and sure enough headed out last night to find that it is! Look for a tree with a hole in an area where there has been a contact and wait and see if there is anything in it...

Firstly the trees are on extreme slopes (I won't say I haven't skied there because I have and that would have been easier) and in one bit the cover was super dense.

Anyway, this clearly isn't the reason for rambling as night fell an owl flew out above me at tree height, circled fluttered a bit then silently disappeared into the woods and proceeded to call. It was light enough to see the taches under the wings and the call confirmed Long Eared Owl! I think I have only ever seen it (apart from a rescue bird) in. winter roost and probably somewhere round Filey and furthermore maybe 30 years ago!!!!

I was super stoked. Finally when I got home and opened the car door the Stops was calling around the house. Great.

One incident that was funny was I'd heard some rustling and instantly start thinking the worse - wild Boar or such like - but it was mice! I watched, well tried to, about 5 or 6 as they jumped in and out of the tree roots and leaves - never quick enough to get bins on them. I had the impression that they were bigger than the little fella that comes and eats my pasta!

Another group found evidence of Caper and also had LE Owl and Eagle Owl so protections really paying off...

Attachments

• EC91688A-1E00-45B8-97A5-947356AF656D.jpeg
    EC91688A-1E00-45B8-97A5-947356AF656D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Bad day in the pyrenees - thought I just got a little cold last night, my temperature 35,3 at bed time, (it was 23 when I set off but a little colder at the top) turns out Covid! Its not overly pleasant for those that know and for those that probably never wish to find out. Gradually deteriorated this morning - headache growing, chest pain - a bit like heart burn, feeling weak, heavy limbs, cough.

Anyway, cutting the already long story short was supposed to be going to a friends funeral tomorrow and have spent a few days preparing the friends garden but with these symptoms thought it was best, well girlfriend insisted, to have a test and protect my friends. Now in isolation and my girls have to isolate until they can test on Monday - at least schools are closing...

In the worlds of Terry Thomas (?) I think 'Bugger' (probably not in his vocabulary.

Bad day in the pyrenees - thought I just got a little cold last night, my temperature 35,3 at bed time, (it was 23 when I set off but a little colder at the top) turns out Covid! Its not overly pleasant for those that know and for those that probably never wish to find out. Gradually deteriorated this morning - headache growing, chest pain - a bit like heart burn, feeling weak, heavy limbs, cough.

Anyway, cutting the already long story short was supposed to be going to a friends funeral tomorrow and have spent a few days preparing the friends garden but with these symptoms thought it was best, well girlfriend insisted, to have a test and protect my friends. Now in isolation and my girls have to isolate until they can test on Monday - at least schools are closing...

In the worlds of Terry Thomas (?) I think 'Bugger' (probably not in his vocabulary.
Sorry to hear you've caught it, bon courage.

Back in the land of the living and a Wallcreeper recce last night.

After seeing a Golden Eagle over the house I thought lets head out! I'd been eyeing this walk for a couple of years and the famous its 'only 20 minutes and its flat' encouraged me. The walk was a little more taxing than I wanted albeit an hour or so gentle climb before you get to telescope range. The walk from the other end, whilst still an hour, is a lot stiffer (and beyond my limit fitness and health wise) but you get to binocular range or within 50m or so of the nest.

Last night I got nothing. That said I did see and hear three Ring Ousel, Black Redstart, Red Billed Though, Kestrel, Water Pipit, Dunnock and some Izzard.... Like I said the walk was a little more taxing than I wanted first time out and a little cold on the way back as temperature dropped to about 5 degrees c.

Welcome back! Golden Eagle over the house is a lovely throwaway phrase... Do any of the ousels stay, higher up, or are all passing through?

They breed in the mountains although I think they are very early breeders. They are also shy so by the time you’re usually here they're scarce....

Last edited:
What a great day! Bit of paperwork, bit of work then a visit up the mountain (work - although turned into a coffee and a chat) then some birdwatching!

En route scored a Hoopoe which was a bit flighty so I left it alone to crack on with his day. Then in my friends garden a pair of Rock Buntings, on the lawn. Then a Redstart - I'm assuming female but haven't checked to see whether a young male would look similar.

Had a coffee and watched a pair of Short toed Eagles drifting around and a distant Lammy. Bouyed by my success I thought I would head higher and amongst the Water Pipits of which there were lots! I rounded a corner and a little bird disappeared in the spruce (of sorts) with no tail - has to be Woodlark. I could hear and see some Ring Ousel but not this fella. I tried playing the call briefly but carried on with a view to having a better look on the way back. In the next field and roundabouts there were between 6-10 Ring Ousels!

On the way back I spent another 20 minutes wandering around the copse and put the bird up again but this time back to where I had started. I finally managed to grab a record shot but it disappeared. Funnily enough Dragnil had one here end of May about 4 years ago - exact same spot - and this was in the back of my head when I saw it initially, bear in mind I was at 1600m.

Bird in the bag I wandered back down the hill to be welcomed by one of the Short toed E's and a pair of Lammys. Nearer home an Egyptian Vulture.

Great afternoon out!

ps I forgot wheatear too...

Attachments

• IMG_7453.JPG
    IMG_7453.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7454.JPG
    IMG_7454.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7462.JPG
    IMG_7462.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7463.JPG
    IMG_7463.JPG
    869.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7464.JPG
    IMG_7464.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7465.JPG
    IMG_7465.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back