• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Hen Harrier Shot (1 Viewer)

trw

Another Hen Harrier shot dead

A report from the Westmoreland Gazette today.

Cumbria Police have opened an investigation into the death of a hen harrier.

The body of a male hen harrier was found in the Ravenstonedale area of the county on October 22. A post-mortem examination funded by Natural England and carried out by the Zoological Society of London has established that the bird was likely to have been shot.

The hen harrier, called Rowan, was satellite tagged at the Langholm Project as part of a joint venture between Natural England and the Hawk and Owl Trust. The bird had recently flown in the Cumbria and North Yorkshire Dales area before being found at Ravenstonedale.

Hen harriers are specially protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, and the Government has set raptor persecution as one of their wildlife crime action priorities.

There is huge pressure on the survival of the hen harrier in England particularly and projects such as this are working hard to assist with the bird’s survival. Cumbria Police are working alongside such organisations to progress this investigation.

I think rather than driven grouse shooting maybe they should have driven Hen Harrier shooting. Then they could protect them so they could be shot in the winter...

Really riles me and in particular after the debate last week!

At least today in Frnace I had two males and one female but how many more would overwinter around me here!

I think rather than driven grouse shooting maybe they should have driven Hen Harrier shooting. Then they could protect them so they could be shot in the winter...
Lateral thinking- I like that!
It hard work up here.If the Cumbrians don't get em the Lancastrian Bowland mob will.

Don't know what happened this year here in Russia.

Hen Harriers are regular on my patch during spring and summer, sometimes 2-3 of all ages on view at once but didn't see a single one this year!

Andy

Don't know what happened this year here in Russia.

Hen Harriers are regular on my patch during spring and summer, sometimes 2-3 of all ages on view at once but didn't see a single one this year!

Andy

If they migrated to anywhere near Lancashire or Cumbria then that's the last you'll see of them.
Did you know about the marshland at St.Petersburg docks by the way?It might be inaccessible to locals but is quite good for birds.Our ship docked there and I saw a female Hen Harrier hunting.It was actually quite good for birds with several waders,herons and ducks around.
It was where the cruise ships used to dock, at the entrance to the main river into the city[not the new cruise port]

Last edited:
So depressing!
Absolutely.
It prompted me to go to a local regular Winter Hen Harrier site around these parts[ location not to be divulged]
Within 10 minutes a female Hen Harrier appeared- quartering the locality gracefully for ages.
A felt even more angry about this idiot who slaughtered the Langholm male.
And so they are still here- just about!

Absolutely.
It prompted me to go to a local regular Winter Hen Harrier site around these parts[ location not to be divulged]
Within 10 minutes a female Hen Harrier appeared- quartering the locality gracefully for ages.
A felt even more angry about this idiot who slaughtered the Langholm male.
And so they are still here- just about!

After reading the transcript of the discussion in parliament I'm not sure if the "other side" are interested in a solution,when they have blasted every raptor out of the sky nothing left to conserve end of story,lets get on ruining the uplands without interfering bird watchers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back