• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas on what these are? (1 Viewer)

Reader

Taken on the Brazo Del Este in Spain on Dec 6th.

There were about twenty of them and also about five Common Waxbills amongst them. One suggestion was female Golden Bishop but the birder who thought that thinks they are probably not.

As you can see they were in reeds by a water channel.

Note those grey eyes with the black centre and the chunky bill for the size of the bird. I would have thought Serin size judging by their size comparison to the Waxbills but I could be wrong. There were no other birds that I recognised in the area to judge size by.

Any ideas what they are?

John

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 169
Thanks Mark

I'm glad I can put a name to the bird as it completely confused me.

What is the status of these birds. My impression is that you can count Waxbills and Red Avadavat's but I'm not sure of these birds or the Golden Bishops etc. Are they self sustaining populations or are they still classed as escapee's?

John

Black-headed weavers also breed in Portugal now; I found what was clearly a pair in trees next to a reed-fringed ditch in the Algarve last June (2006). They were always in the same spot. There was also a small flock at a nearby pool.

I think they, like Avadavat (which is quite common and widespread in the Algarve at least) seem to be fully naturalised. Does anyone know if they are accepted as "Category C" by the Spanish and Portuguese committees?

Sean

Avadavat is C1 in Spain. All weavers are still on the E category in Spain. Last (2005) list revision.
Cheers
Eduardo

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back