• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any more you can spot? (1 Viewer)

Rook01

Am I right to say for this picture.
Mute Swan
Whooper Swan
Carrion Crow
Mallard
Have no idea what the goose with a white head and brown body could be.

Attachments

• Scotland 2008 024.jpg
    Scotland 2008 024.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 253
Here are some blow-ups for closer examination.

Attachments

• scotland.jpg
    scotland.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 144
For you all across the pond, it may be worth investigating that bird though - it's got red legs - UNlike the swans.

For you all across the pond, it may be worth investigating that bird though - it's got red legs - UNlike the swans.

I think it may be a white goose of some sort. That would explain both leg color and size. I think the bird is reaching back on itself and you can see the bill towards our left on its side.

As for species, perhaps the geese are escaped snow geese, with the two dark geese being the "blue phase". They do not look perfect for blue phase snow geese, but there is a lot of variation among these. Perhaps there is also some other white goose with multiple phases that I am not aware of.

Not confident about any of this; but just brainstorming.

Best,
Jim

The geese appear to be (barnacle? canada?) hybrids.

I assume you are referencing the dark geese. I think Barnacle x Canada is ruled out by the pink legs -- both species have black legs according to my guides. Though I agree a hybrid of some sort is definitely a possibility.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back