• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody know what this is? UK, East Sussex. (1 Viewer)

carold

Spotted last week in my back garden. Thanks for any help.

Carol.

Attachments

• DSC04565.jpg
    DSC04565.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC04528.jpg
    DSC04528.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 158
One of this year's juvenile starlings.
You can just make out the adult feathers coming through on its belly.

It's a juvenile (European) Starling just starting to moult into first winter plumage - note the white-tipped feathers on the breast.

Hi Carol

Big welcome to BF from another Sussex member! Nice photo of a juvenile Starling - I've had a few on my feeders too scoffing all the fat balls the Great Tits wanted for their second brood of fledlings!

Spotted last week in my back garden. Thanks for any help.

Carol.
I got this one (yippee!), but only 'cos my garden is full of 'em. The much lighter plumage, no 'stars', and solid colours on the wing feathers is a real 'red herring'. And the way it's hanging on the feeder in the second picture makes it look like a woodpecker ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back