• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North East London Redwing? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Currently have daily Redwings into the garden feeding on the Ivy then bathing in the splash pool.
To my eye, this bird looks high up on the grey scale?
Have researched images for “grey” Redwings without any success.
Would anybody have any info regarding this morph?

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC02499.jpeg   Grey Redwing.jpeg
    DSC02499.jpeg Grey Redwing.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC02414.jpeg      Rdwng.Holly Berry.jpeg
    DSC02414.jpeg Rdwng.Holly Berry.jpeg
    700.3 KB · Views: 115
Here’s perhaps a better comparative?

Attachments

• 8905096d-6571-4fc0-8511-9800d28d3a14.jpeg
    8905096d-6571-4fc0-8511-9800d28d3a14.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 56
The picture just looks desaturated. Nothing abnormal there IMO.
Both images were shot within a minute or two of one another, through the bins the “grey” bird looked just that, hence the shot compared to the “grey brown” bird.
Seems odd that under the same lighting, the camera should desaturate then normalise?

Odd or not Ken, you only have to look at the photo to see all the colours are cold.
I take your point, but the reason for imaging was just that it looked colder, here is the same image with the vibrancy and saturation both maxed to a 100%.

Attachments

• IMG_9717.jpeg
    IMG_9717.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02499.jpeg   Grey Redwing.jpeg
    DSC02499.jpeg Grey Redwing.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 40
Both images were shot within a minute or two of one another, through the bins the “grey” bird looked just that, hence the shot compared to the “grey brown” bird.
Seems odd that under the same lighting, the camera should desaturate then normalise?
Did you use AWB? (Auto White Balance) I've had the same, a sequence of shots in close vicinity and the odd one where the camera throws a curve ball. I shoot RAW+JPEG so can correct anything that seems out of whack

At least this one may (?) be more readily identifiable down to ssp. than some others with intermediate characteristics. The status of both subspecies wintering in Southeastern England is still not clear (from what I've read in an old post in here).
I'm a tad unclear - are you suggesting this is nominate Redwing and it's paler compared to the other Redwings present which are Icelandic? Or it's a paler than usual nominate??

Seems a bit of a red herring if so ... first result on google search Icelandic Redwing status UK -

The grey image clearly has colour balance and saturation off. Just need to compare the vegetation in each photo. Use curves to adjust the grey one, using green of the other as reference and it'll almost certainly look the same. Nothing to see here...

Seems a bit of a red herring if so ... first result on google search Icelandic Redwing status UK -

Yes, you are right, of course. The post I meant (Icelandic Redwing?- Surrey, UK) was based on the author's own analysis, and--even there--it was only suggested as a distant possibility.

I'm a tad unclear - are you suggesting this is nominate Redwing and it's paler compared to the other Redwings present which are Icelandic? Or it's a paler than usual nominate??
No, the latter of the two, possibly (unless the balance is off indeed).

Anybody has access to BotW?

(?)
Both images show perfectly typical nominate iliacus, the form which winters across most of the UK, underpart streaking is nowhere near strong enough + legs way too pale for coburni, absolutely nothing intermediate about either bird. And, no clinal variation mentioned in literature.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back