• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOS NACC/SACC taxonomic committee governance and structures (no discussions on patronyms) (1 Viewer)

Perhaps the "good" news is that in the fullness of time the initiative will switch to those countries where the birds actually are (aren't all Paraguay's birds in drawers in the Smithsonian?).

One day people (in the N) might even start questioning why their tax dollars go to maintaining large collections of specimens of species that don't even occur there.

Van told me as an aside when discussing a different issue that he had (I am paraphrasing I hope I don’t misquote him or misremember details) informed AOS that SACC would essentially be ending the affiliation with AOS.

So I take it AOS will eventually need to update their webpage to reflect that.

I kind of doubt there will be two SACCs.

What I am curious about is what all the WGAC changes and this AOS dust up on top of it means for SACC’s authority / mandate.

I am friends with and respect people on all sides of these issues (WGAC and the patronyms schism) and I don’t see either of them as black or white, so I keep my comments pretty neutral. However, very personally, it is nice to have eBird (which is the 800lb gorilla these days of course) reflect a bunch of splits that have been known and expected for a decade or longer. On the other hand, there is a lot of value in the measured discussions and proposal process of SACC and it would be a shame if it were to be completely marginalized. So again - I sit on both sides of the fence and can criticize or applaud different aspects all over the place. And I remain genuinely curious to see how this all continues to shake out.
I noticed today that Van's SACC web site now says "SACC became affiliated with the American Ornithological Society in August 2020, but is no longer affiliated with the AOS, as of 1 November 2023, when the AOS leadership decided that all eponymous names were to be purged and that the South American Classification Committee would no longer be in charge of English names. SACC is now affiliated with the International Ornithologists’ Union as a regional committee working with the IOU’s Working Group Avian Checklists (WGAC), whose goal is to produce a global classification of birds."

I noticed today that Van's SACC web site now says "SACC became affiliated with the American Ornithological Society in August 2020, but is no longer affiliated with the AOS, as of 1 November 2023, when the AOS leadership decided that all eponymous names were to be purged and that the South American Classification Committee would no longer be in charge of English names. SACC is now affiliated with the International Ornithologists’ Union as a regional committee working with the IOU’s Working Group Avian Checklists (WGAC), whose goal is to produce a global classification of birds."
That is interesting, but does bring up questions of how independent WGAC in there decision making will be from SACC. It would be...kind of funny if Ebird/Clements splits from NACC only to slavishly follow SACC.

I had thought that the SACC was a committee set up by the AOS, but if they have a long history (from 1998) and only a recent (three-year) affliliation with the AOS, then the split is not such a big deal.

It makes sense that regional committees feed through to the WGAC. There is no need for an intermediary organisation. It just needs more equivalents of the SACC for other regions.

I had thought that the SACC was a committee set up by the AOS, but if they have a long history (from 1998) and only a recent (three-year) affliliation with the AOS, then the split is not such a big deal.

It makes sense that regional committees feed through to the WGAC. There is no need for an intermediary organisation. It just needs more equivalents of the SACC for other regions.
Absolutely. The regional committees should be a pipeline for taxonomic change.

That said, WGAC should not be a rubber stamp to any single committee. They should have the freedom to decline or accept SACC checklist changes on there own.

I think someone may be trying to pull the wool over your eyes. The AOS was created by merging the AOU and the Cooper Society a few years ago. The AOU was actually the the surviving entity in the merger, so the AOS is just the AOU with its name and constitution changed. As far as I am aware, SACC was from its very start an AOU committee and then became an AOS committee upon the merger occurring. When SACC was established, I recall an AOU press release saying it was needed because the taxonomy of so many NACC area birds depended on what was going on in S America; there was no SACC before that point.

Remsen's own database which forms the backbone of SACC was I believe developed related to his work on the 2nd or 3rd edition of the Howard & Moore checklist which may have been around 1998 - but SACC never existed until last month as anything other than a committee of AOS/AOU (in the early 2000s), as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
I think someone may be trying to pull the wool over your eyes. The AOS was created by merging the AOU and the Cooper Society a few years ago. The AOU was actually the the surviving entity in the merger, so the AOS is just the AOU with its name and constitution changed. As far as I am aware, SACC was from its very start an AOU committee and then became an AOS committee upon the merger occurring. When SACC was established, I recall an AOU press release saying it was needed because the taxonomy of so many NACC area birds depended on what was going on in S America; there was no SACC before that point.

Remsen's own database which forms the backbone of SACC was I believe developed related to his work on the 2nd or 3rd edition of the Howard & Moore checklist which may have been around 1998 - but SACC never existed until last month as anything other than a committee of AOS/AOU (in the early 2000s), as far as I am aware.

Interesting. My comment was based on the full text on the SACC website, before the part posted above by Paul Clapham, saying it became affiliated with the AOS in 2020. As the AOU and Cooper Society merger was 2016 (conveniently removing one eponym), it implies it wasn't an AOS committee between 2016 and 2020. However, a 2014 version of the SACC site says it was a committee of the AOU and a 2017 version that it was a committee of the AOS.

The South American Classification Committee was founded in 1998. Its mission is to create a standard classification, with English names, for the bird species of South America. This classification is subject to constant revision by the proposal system established in 2000 to allow incorporation of new data. Eventually, a hard-copy version will be published. SACC became affiliated with the American Ornithological Society in August 2020, but is no longer affiliated with the AOS, as of 1 November 2023, when the AOS leadership decided that all eponymous names were to be purged and that the South American Classification Committee would no longer be in charge of English names. SACC is now affiliated with the International Ornithologists’ Union as a regional committee working with the IOU’s Working Group Avian Checklists (WGAC), whose goal is to produce a global classification of birds.

Using archive.org, I find this text on the earliest saved SACC site (2014):
The South American Classification Committee is an official committee of the American Ornithologists' Union whose mission is to create a standard classification, with English names, for the bird species of South America. This classification is subject to constant revision by the proposal system to allow incorporation of new data. The SACC hopes to have this classification published as a printed document within a year or so.

... and for 2017 ...
The South American Classification Committee is an official committee of the American Ornithological Society. The mission of this committee is to create a standard classification, with English names, for the bird species of South America.

Also the Avian Systematics site says Remsen was a regional consultant for the 3rd edition of H&M.

The third edition (2003)

RH arranged a meeting with Academic Press and, after agreement by RH to appropriate fundamental changes to the Checklist, a contract was signed with Academic Press listing ECD as managing editor of this edition. In fact, much of the compilation was done by Nigel Cleere and Norbert Bahr. Prior to publication, in 2003, the ’title’ was one of several sold to A&C Black (Bloomsbury) by Academic Press and it appeared under a Helm imprint.

This edition also relied heavily on four regional consultants: David Pearson for Africa, Kees Roselaar for the Palaearctic, James "Van" Remsen for the Americas, and Richard Schodde for Australasia, while ECD advised on Asia.

The South American Classification Committee was founded in 1998. ... This classification is subject to constant revision by the proposal system established in 2000
First ever SACC Proposal 1 is dated 4 October 2020. It's not clear where 1998 comes from.
I would expect there would be a bit of lag between proposal publishing and the initial creation of the committee, especially if the members were busy. I could imagine a year spent hashing out the rules or even deciding how the proposal would be dealt with and voting would begin. Possibly also in just getting the final committee membership solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back