• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU/COS Meeting: Chicago, IL, Aug 2013 (3 Viewers)

In the O.D. Kuroda says:
"It is a very interesting fact that the form peculiar to Iriomote has no cogeners on Ishigaki..."
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/100930#page/497/mode/1up .

It seems that olivaceus [presumably olivaceus?--I've never seen a live bird or specimen from Ishigaki] is present but very rare on Ishigaki. I don't think they were known from there when Kuroda wrote that. Last I heard, there was only one known breeding pair. Whether they have always been rare, or whether this is in some way human-induced (doesn't seem likely, IMO) is, I believe, unknown. But in any case, I believe the OJS knows about the pair and so is correct.

Bailey

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back