• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arctic or Pomarine? (1 Viewer)

Murat Kocas

Turkey
Hello,

Could you please help me to identify these skuas?

Photo is shot in İstanbul/Turkey on 19.11.2020

Regards

Murat Kocas

Attachments

• DSC_8569.JPG
    DSC_8569.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_8574.JPG
    DSC_8574.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 190
It used to be Parasitic, Pomarine and Long Tailed in my old Peterson's.
That was before the names got simplified... :(

Looks that i,m wrong either way.;)

In Portuguese we call Artic Skua to pomarinus .

Hi Rogerio. The joke that people are making is that you said 'Artic Skua' when in English it's 'Arctic Skua' (with the extra 'c'). In (British) English, 'artic' is short for 'articulated truck' which is one of those huge trucks where the trailer and the cab are separate things and are joined (articulated) by a mechanism which means they can move independently.

The internet tells me it's the same in Portuguese: caminhão de braço articulado

So, for example, Richard Prior's comment that 'That one really is bulky too, I saw a 32 tonner once' is a joke about both the trucks being big and heavy, and one of the Skua species being bigger and heavier than the other.

I apologise if you already knew/realised that.

Sometimes the English native speakers on BF (and the internet more widely) assume that if someone from another area has excellent English, then they will understand even things that actually only someone from a particular region will understand.

Actually, I think 'artic' for the truck is only British and would not be understood by most Americans or Australians, for example (and actually lots of Britons wouldn't understand either).

(So actually by assuming you will understand, the people making jokes are complimenting you on your fantastic command of English).

I certainly would not understand Artic. I had English in school since third grade (mostly UK-English), lived in the US for five years and worked/lived in a (mostly) US-English environment for the last 18 years (which hardly overlaps the period in the US).

Niels

Hi Rogerio. The joke that people are making is that you said 'Artic Skua' when in English it's 'Arctic Skua' (with the extra 'c'). In (British) English, 'artic' is short for 'articulated truck' which is one of those huge trucks where the trailer and the cab are separate things and are joined (articulated) by a mechanism which means they can move independently.

The internet tells me it's the same in Portuguese: caminhão de braço articulado

So, for example, Richard Prior's comment that 'That one really is bulky too, I saw a 32 tonner once' is a joke about both the trucks being big and heavy, and one of the Skua species being bigger and heavier than the other.

I apologise if you already knew/realised that.

Sometimes the English native speakers on BF (and the internet more widely) assume that if someone from another area has excellent English, then they will understand even things that actually only someone from a particular region will understand.

Actually, I think 'artic' for the truck is only British and would not be understood by most Americans or Australians, for example (and actually lots of Britons wouldn't understand either).

(So actually by assuming you will understand, the people making jokes are complimenting you on your fantastic command of English).

Hi MacNara ,

Thanks for your time to get back to me with this nice and kind explanation , really appreciated.
I did not noticed that i have swallow the "c" until i read your mail.
Yes that is a problem for a non native speaker sometimes this mistakes happen and i did overseen it Arctic translation to Portuguese is Artico.
So when i saw the comments of both Nutcracker and Richard Prior's i thought to myself what are this guys talking about , some private jokes between them , and i did not pay much attention.
Now i know ;)
Always learning , and i can easily get a nickname out of this thread as the Artic Truck Driver.:t:

Last edited:
Hi MacNara ,

Thanks for your time to get back to me with this nice and kind explanation , really appreciated.
I did not noticed that i have swallow the "c" until i read your mail.
Yes that is a problem for a non native speaker sometimes this mistakes happen and i did overseen it Arctic translation to Portuguese is Artico.
So when i saw the comments of both Nutcracker and Richard Prior's i thought to myself what are this guys talking about , some private jokes between them , and i did not pay much attention.
Now i know ;)
Always learning , and i can easily get a nickname out of this thread as the Artic Truck Driver.:t:
Well done Rogerio for your tolerance of our silly jokes:t:
Keep on truckin’ !!

In (British) English, 'artic' is short for 'articulated truck' which is one of those huge trucks where the trailer and the cab are separate things and are joined (articulated) by a mechanism which means they can move independently.

[...]

Yup, that's not a term used in the USA. Separated by a common language etc.

In terms of the ID which we have establish is Parasitic Jaeger / Arctic Skua / Stercorarius parasiticus the obvious feature here is the where the deepest part of the body is, which is the chest. Allied with a triangular head, the top bird showing a pale spot at the bill base and no obvious double underwing flash support the ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back