• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are our fellow European birders better than UK birders. (1 Viewer)

I'm with you, roker.

Most of the UK birders who visit here wouldn't know a Robin from a Sparrow.

They'd fit right in with the locals then, in USA I have been staggered by being asked to ID terns for a beginner (they were adult summer Caspian), being told you don't get American Redstarts in Florida in August, and a US birder not being able to ID Cooper's Hawk on a point-blank prolonged view on their local patch.

That said the top US chaps will stand comparison with anyone.

John

Here are the birders who i think are in the class of their own ,who i think would be in the top ten european birders in my opinion, in no particular order.killean Mularney,Dick Forman,Lars Jonsson,Lars Svenson,Hadaram Shirihai,Per Alstrom.Mark Beaman,Steve Madge,Ian Wallace,Arnold Van der Burg.

They might also be impressed with your selection if you had written Killian Mullarney, Dick Forsman, Lars Svensson, Hadoram Shirihai and Arnoud van den Berg... and left out old DIMW who fell off the cutting edge a long time back. The late PJG would be more deserving.

Still its nice to see a definite opinion.

John

They'd fit right in with the locals then, in USA I have been staggered by being asked to ID terns for a beginner (they were adult summer Caspian), being told you don't get American Redstarts in Florida in August, and a US birder not being able to ID Cooper's Hawk on a point-blank prolonged view on their local patch.

That said the top US chaps will stand comparison with anyone.

John
Have to agree some american birders are rubbish in id.

They might also be impressed with your selection if you had written Killian Mullarney, Dick Forsman, Lars Svensson, Hadoram Shirihai and Arnoud van den Berg... and left out old DIMW who fell off the cutting edge a long time back. The late PJG would be more deserving.

Still its nice to see a definite opinion.

John
Well Ian Wallace i think has retired from doing articles and papers ,in his time he was a exceptional birder who had all round knowledge and id skills.So would say he as been one of the all time great birders in the UK.Have to agree with you about the late PJG he was excellent ornithologist as well .If you want a more up to date birder i would say Jari Peltomaki who runs Fin Nature could be in the top ten, a very exceptional birder who's id skills and knowledge is well known in europe.He is also a all round wildlife expert and photographer.Jari has found quite a few of the finnish rarities over the years.Have to mention Jari's wife is a excellent birder to.Does anyone else have a definite opnion on who they think are the top 5 or 10 european birders are .

Last edited:
Tony Soper must be right up there? He's bagged both tanagers - QED.
You never hear of Tony Soper now ,used to watch his programme Wild Tracks on BBC1 years ago.He did some interesting nature programmes but would'nt say he was a exceptional birder.I would say Bill Oddie is better than him.Bill Oddie found the first Pallas's Reed Bunting on Fair Isle with another birder RA.Broad September 29th 1976.

Last edited:
Soper v Oddie

I have to disagree Roker - Bill may be the current "flavour of the month" but look at this biog for TP:

"Soper co-founded the BBC's Natural History Unit and became its first film producer. He presented live television programs, including Birdwatch, Discovering Birds, Beside the Sea, Wildtrack, and Nature. With Desmond Hawkins, he was the first to put Peter Scott on television. Soper formerly co-presented the BBC children's television programme Animal Magic, and now narrates programs for National Geographic. He holds a British Yachtmaster's licence, and is a qualified compressed air, oxygen, and hard hat diver."

Hard hat diver!!!

His books include:

Wildlife Begins at Home (1975)
Penguins [with John Sparks] (1987)
Owls [with John Sparks] (1995)
Antarctica: A Guide to the Wildlife (2000)
The Arctic: A Guide to Coastal Wildlife (2001)
The Bird Table Book (several editions)
The British Isles (Bradt Travel Guides)
Discovering Birds: Practical Guide to Birdcraft

You can't argue with that body of work.

I have to disagree Roker - Bill may be the current "flavour of the month" but look at this biog for TP:

"Soper co-founded the BBC's Natural History Unit and became its first film producer. He presented live television programs, including Birdwatch, Discovering Birds, Beside the Sea, Wildtrack, and Nature. With Desmond Hawkins, he was the first to put Peter Scott on television. Soper formerly co-presented the BBC children's television programme Animal Magic, and now narrates programs for National Geographic. He holds a British Yachtmaster's licence, and is a qualified compressed air, oxygen, and hard hat diver."

Hard hat diver!!!

His books include:

Wildlife Begins at Home (1975)
Penguins [with John Sparks] (1987)
Owls [with John Sparks] (1995)
Antarctica: A Guide to the Wildlife (2000)
The Arctic: A Guide to Coastal Wildlife (2001)
The Bird Table Book (several editions)
The British Isles (Bradt Travel Guides)
Discovering Birds: Practical Guide to Birdcraft

You can't argue with that body of work.
Hi yes i can remember some of those programmes he has done.You forget how much he has done on TV over the years.He used to do wildlife cruisers for various companies, dont know if he still does them now.Comparing Bill and Tony's birding knowledge i think Bill has the edge on Tony.Bill has served on one or two rarity committees in his time.But i would'nt put them in the top 20 european birders in fact nowhere near the standard of Dick Formans etc.Both of them are good wildlife programme presenters .

Last edited:
On the greater thread topic, though, here's my tuppence ha'penny worth..... I think of humans in two conceptual groups... those who Bird, and those who are concerned with mundanities like nationality, ethnic origin, "Lost", "Big Brother", shopping, football (oops, sorry...), etc. So there are very good Birders, and Birders who are learning. Birding, after all, transcends National Boundaries, no?;)

On the greater thread topic, though, here's my tuppence ha'penny worth..... I think of humans in two conceptual groups... those who Bird, and those who are concerned with mundanities like nationality, ethnic origin, "Lost", "Big Brother", shopping, football (oops, sorry...), etc. So there are very good Birders, and Birders who are learning. Birding, after all, transcends National Boundaries, no?;)
Hi yes you are right there are some very good birders and birders who are just learning .I think the older generation of birders who started in the 60s and 70s,had it a lot harder than todays birders.Birders in the 60s and 70s had to develope there fieldcraft,knowledge and id skills with out all the field guides Dvds.And they found all the rare birds themselfs ,they did'nt have pages and birdlines in those days not like today.That why i think many of the UK birders are lacking in fieldcraft,Knowledge and id skills because they have 'nt learnt them first .Some birders who are starting out birding cannot id the common birds and they are chasing round after rarities.We would have better birders in the UK if they developed there id skill and fieldcraft first.Most european birders dont go chasings after rarities they really get to know how to id birds and build there skills and knowledge up .That why i think most of them have better all round fieldcraft to birders in the UK,

Last edited:
Birders in the 60s and 70s had to develope there fieldcraft,knowledge and id skills with out all the field guides Dvds.
Good point, Rokermartin! Yeah, I remember as a kid in the late '60's trying to develop my "fieldcraft"...with the Observer's Guide to Birds! I might as well have been using a a Cookery Book....no, I exagerrate, at least my two kid birding mates and I had to learn all the commoner stuff ourselves. I don't know how we did it, I certainly think our eyesight and patience were better than now. In later life, coming back to birding, I had to re-learn a lot of the simple skills and it took a long time, but ID-ing is made much easier with modern methods. (At least these methods help to reduce the Margin of Error in ID-ing, no?)

Well, I'm no longer a raw lad, but, speaking as someone who was only born in the 70s, let alone take up birding then, allow me to state that, in spite of the added distractions of the modern world, there are many very good birders who got in to the hobby in the 80s or 90s (and I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet, I'm on about really good birders, not adequate ones!), though, as yet, I concede that the old guard still hold the advantage.
Also, while out-and-out list-centric twitching isn't really conducive to increasing one's field abilities, it is certainly possible to approach twitching, at least in moderation, in such a way as to increase one's mental image of, and familiarity with, many species, such that it would be easier to claim the same species were an observer to find them at a later date. Heck, even people in Roker's top 20 have been known to twitch...!
While the younger generation may lack the real trailblazers of times past, I think it would not be too much of a disservice to say that, among those birders who are interested in ID matters, pay attention to calls etc, the general levels of knowledge today are greater than they would have been at least to the mid 70s. Now, I appreciate that a lot of this is a case of 'standing on the shoulders of giants', and I don't wish to be in any way disrespectful, but the average ID-oriented birder of today would no doubt cause quite a stir were they able to go back in time and show off their knowledge.
On a slightly different tangent, and speaking solely for myself here, I think that the learning curve never really ends: if one looks and listens hard enough, even so-called 'easy' IDs can be found, in reality, to be a lot tougher than they appear at face value: for example, a large gull with mid grey mantle, white head and bright yellow legs isn't necessarily a Yellow-legged, the really pale late autumn/winter Chiffchaffs aren't tristis, redpolls are a nightmare etc. The main thing is not to get disheartened by these challenges, and other more 'cutting edge' ones, but to enjoy the learning process for what it is, rather than as a necessary evil until gaining some sort of birding 'enlightenment'.
Of course, I don't always remind myself of this when I get bogged down over some 1st-w gull or other...
Regards,
Harry

Last edited:
Sorry Harry, I meant no disrespect to younger birders, I'm a rank amateur and always will be. In fact one of the birder's who's been most helpful and taught me loads recently is a young chap from Dublin, barely out of his teens, probably well-known to you, and an expert in every sense of the word. His knowledge is immense. I also agree that the Learning Curve never ends, and that's what makes it fun...if we got it right and found the birds on every outing, it would quickly become boring!

Last edited:
I have been birding for over 25 years now seen some big changes over the last 10 years or so.We do have some really good young birders and old in the UK.But birding has become very easy these days with all the technology that birders can get.It would be good if birders would use it less and go back to basics.For eg when they hear a Great Tit or Willow Warbler they should try and remember its call for themselfs instead of using tapes to id bird calls.I am not saying this technology is a bad thing that we have now but i think birders rely on it alot these days.Bird Dvds and bird call tapes are certainly useful to refer back to if a birder is't sure of a bird id or a bird song.So really i am saying i think birders should use the Techology less and develope their own birding skills and fieldcraft they will become even better birders by doing that.They might even become the next Dick Formans or Steve Madge.

Last edited:
Top birders are naturals, the rest just do the best they can. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
With regard to the original question, some are some aren't.

Twite.

Top birders are naturals, the rest just do the best they can. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
With regard to the original question, some are some aren't.

Twite.
Whooo, Twite, dangerous territory, you could start off a whole vicious "Behaviourists v. Geneticists" debate and we might all get Modded....;) But here's a thought....I'm such a crap birder that I don't even know all the names mentioned in previous posts, but it occurs to me....are all the top birders also good bird artists, or at least sketchers? I don't mean professionals like Killian Mullarney, I mean is there some correlation between artistic ability and ID skills?

....are all the top birders also good bird artists, or at least sketchers? I don't mean professionals like Killian Mullarney, I mean is there some correlation between artistic ability and ID skills?

I think it could be that birder artists look at the birds - I mean really look at them - in order to produce accurate work. So I guess it would be logical for the artists to be good at i.d. too. I suppose it could also work the other way round, if the birder had artistic ability.

Whooo, Twite, dangerous territory, you could start off a whole vicious "Behaviourists v. Geneticists" debate and we might all get Modded....;) But here's a thought....I'm such a crap birder that I don't even know all the names mentioned in previous posts, but it occurs to me....are all the top birders also good bird artists, or at least sketchers? I don't mean professionals like Killian Mullarney, I mean is there some correlation between artistic ability and ID skills?
Yes you are right quite a few of the top birders are excellent artists as well
they have studied how birds behave they know all about their body structure, jizz and feather detail so they know exactly how to draw and paint the birds for the field guides.Sancho it does'nt mean you are a crap birder not knowing all the names of the top birders which have been mentioned i certainly would 'nt worry about that.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back