• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Art or wildlife art? (7 Viewers)

So Woody, it looks like this fascinating thread has run its course, with some very interesting viewpoints raised. Not wanting to put you on the spot but as the 'firestarter' so to speak, it would be interesting to know if your views on the subject have been reinforced or have the boundaries become even more blurred?

It's a confusing area isn't it!?

I love 'wildlife art' and I also love a lot of 'Art'. There's a lot of 'Art' that I thouroughly object to and even 'hate' to a point, I certainly don't love it.

My point I suppose was that I love 'wildlife art' as it is defined by the majority and trying to 'push the envelope', usually through abstraction, is trying to make 'wildlife art' something that it clearly isn't.

The confusion arises when someone like Nick comes along and produces work which falls into both the 'wildlife art' spectrum and the 'Art' one. But that makes it sound as though I think 'wildlife artists' are not capable of being 'Artists' which is not the case at all!

Like I said, it's all very confusing and, to answer your question, I'm more blurry now probably!

Time for a pie and a pint... B :)

Woody

No the thread has not run its course! At least not for someone new to the forum like myself!

It's been fascinating reading it and echoes many of my own thoughts. With this difference: I've been reluctant to get involved with 'wildlife art' because of the bad connotations it has in the 'high art' world as some have noted here. I've had that thought largely because my background is so-called 'high art', i.e., not illustration, and because I don't like a lot of wildlife art, probably the same type of wildlife art that most responders have said that they don't like either. So I think unlike most I come to it more from the non-wildlife-art viewpoint.

But I'm also sympathetic with many that 'high art' is often not really so high. Damien Hirst is one among many that I can't take seriously and that I think does great harm to art and humanitys love of art. Art like music is something that I think most people appreciate regardless of education and cultural background. At least they're open to it if art goes halfway to meet them.

To put it most simply I'd say this: many high artists have abandoned art that is connected to humanity. It will never be appreciated by most of the public. They say that this is because the public just can't understand it. But in my mind it is the opposite. They've just lost touch with what makes art art, regardless of how much verbiage they might use to defend themselves. On the other hand the best wildlife artists, the ones that show the joy of birds as Nick mentions, that try to capture the individual beauty of a particular bird in a particular setting in an artful way, are actually much closer to the original impulse of art: an honest emotional expression.

I've been in the 'art' world for about 30 years, though I've become less and less attached to it and knowledgeable about it as I've gotten older because so much of it, particularly that covered in the media, shown at the better galleries, etc. seems unconnected to the basic human impulse to make art. Today I see that impulse much more in 'good' wildlife artists, like many that I see on this forum.

In the end I think art is an honest response to something. It can be wildlife; it can be something else. In my older abstract art it really was more an honest response to color and shape. I loved them, regardless of whether or not they represented something. I think that I considered my art closer to the abstractions of music rather than more realistic iart. But that doesn't mean I didn't still love representational art, for example Chardin.

I've done art with nature, particularly birds, as my subject for the last three years. But I felt like someone wandering around alone in the wilderness. I knew that there had been great artists in the past who had used nature as their subject, e.g. Durer and Courbet. But I couldn't find contemporary examples. When I stumbled upon this forum I finally felt that I was on more familiar ground, even though most people I think come more from the 'wildlife art' perspective.

But I think the fact that Mike even asked the question means that he and others don't want to be pigeon-holed as just 'wildlife artists', especially if that means something lesser than 'art.' I believe that John Busby said that artists who portrayed birds and nature should also be aware of other art that is going on. What also needs to be said by someone the equivalent of John Busby in the 'art' world is that they ought to be paying attention to nature and wildlife artists. But I don't think that is happening. So many art students at art colleges wouldn't think of looking at or going into wildlife art. Of course I may be wrong; it's been many years since I've been in school.

I think both sides have something to offer the other. But all in all I think that good wildlife artists, like the ones I see here, are much more willing to look at the other side than vice versa. That is sad.

I do hope to see the day when good wildlife art shows in museums, not just natural history museums. And that honest wildlife artists can make a living from it. I can always hope!

One final thing: all in all, and I realize it's a great generalization, my feeling is that there is more integrity in honest wildlife artists than in high artists. On the other hand honest 'high artists' may feel that there is far more integrity in their work and that may be because they only see the bad wildlife art that is formulaic but sells. In the end I think artists with integrity can spot it in other artists, whether they're wildlife artists, broken crockery artists, art painted with a garden hose artists, or whatever.

Sorry for going on so long................

Some serendipity here, just got a book from Goodwill for $5 "Birds in Art, the Masters" published in 1990 on the 15th anniversary of the Woodson Museum, it covers all the Masters from the Birds in Art shows, its a nice book with some great paintings, tho some are stiff and dated, but the juicy part is the section where each artist is presented based on their own remarks. It's priceless, and EVERY painter( tho not the sculptors) has a very cogent statement about the very subject of this thread, and the fact that wildlife art is not considered "Art" and all the things said are so hopeful that at last it's changing.....and here we are in almost 2010 and it's just the same thing. Remember that in 1990 the market for wildlife art was really taking off, and all the print market was hitting bigtime....all that is gone away now.

here are a few quotes
Roger Tory Peterson
"I recently heard someone say how extraordinary it is that this narrow focus of birds is so well represented( meaning the BIA show). I got miffed, I thought, "well Homo sapiens is one species and birds are at least 8,600."How can you call it narrow?
"

Try this one fro Don Eckelberry about defining art
....I do not believe that art has anything to do with visual appearances, It is not what is seen but what is felt in what is seen that counts, in other words not sight but insight.

Bateman
There seems to be a kind of wall among art museum curators regarding wildlife art. They'll accept realism if it's a person or motel or motorcyle. But they won't accept it if it's a bird or wolf"
....If someone says to me "I love your work its so detailed," its not a compliment, it's not an insult. It has nothing to do with quality, It's like saying I love your sweater, it has so many stitches in it."....a lack of detail won't necessarily make a painting great either. To me detail, textures and colors enrich my vision of the earth and these may be rendered with loose or fine brush strokes
Was very interesting to find out Bateman started as an abstract painter and only came to his first love of realism after seeing a Wyeth show.

Another wildlife painter Guy Coheleach, who was getting very low grades in his art classes was told by the sculpture teacher ( one of the old school) to just paint half way( the block in part) and not to identify the objects, and finish it after he got it back on his own, after this his " abstracts" did very well, he got A's and made them good wildlife works at home.

We will never define art, or find the line between art and illustration, or Art and wildlife art, but I really like how one of the masters Shackleton, described it
As soon as we start trying to imitate something or even worse trying to avoid something because it is unfashionable, we get ourselves into double trouble. I think the only way you can measure sincerity is to carry on painting resolutely, painting what you want to paint, and it doesn't matter whether it's off the rails or not—the integrity will be there

Hear Hear

Hi Woody and all my friends,

Interesting thread |=)|. I would say To depict a wildlife or any aspect of nature comes under Wildlife/Nature Art and those who show/depict/create the glory of mother nature is wildlife/nature artist...There is no other thought... :t: This is only true and real art in the world...

The so called 'Fine Art' the people talk about is mere a modern look and mostly judge by the money and investment. Wildlife Art is the most ancient art. Our ancestors have created wildlife art in the caves world around. They depicted all these works from the inspiration form the real natural world and depicted what they have seen at that time...so today this comes under important part of natural history...

Now, about illustration...Those who are thinking lifelike illustration or actual depiction of nature is not Art than they don't have eyes to see the real art. What we 'Wildlife Artist' doing is a great work of all time. This is not for the today, not for the future is everlasting...

Wildlife is the most difficult form of all art and we should feel proud about what we are doing in our life. Whatever people say... Wildlife Art is real Art or not, but truth is every single person on this earth love Wildlife Art when they come across to our True Art.... :t: this is utter truth... :clap:

I'm very happy with what I'm doing. Actually I'm blessed that I can paint Wildlife in my life and this is really very beautiful experience... o:)

Enjoy Wildlife Art and the unmatched talent that Nature has blessed you with...dedicate your work to nature and you and everyone feel it as Real Art and the Artist... :cool:

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back