• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATM issue - condensation or something more sinister? (2 Viewers)

dw87

United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2011 vintage ATM 80 and noticed the following when I removed the eyepiece (see attached).

I am hoping that Swarovski will live up to their excellent service reputation, but I am worried in case this is a costly fix - I have already blown the budget somewhat with this purchase, and can't really justify a bill of several hundred pounds as the second owner.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice offered!

Attachments

• 20230828_180908.jpg
    20230828_180908.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230828_180850.jpg
    20230828_180850.jpg
    951 KB · Views: 78
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2011 vintage ATM 80 and noticed the following when I removed the eyepiece (see attached).

I am hoping that Swarovski will live up to their excellent service reputation, but I am worried in case this is a costly fix - I have already blown the budget somewhat with this purchase, and can't really justify a bill of several hundred pounds as the second owner.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice offered!
Looks like fungi to me. Not much you can do but sending it to Swarovski and let it clean. Don't think it's possible you do it yourself.

Hi and welcome.

If the mold is on the outer surface of a flat optical window or outer surface of a lens it can be carefully wiped off.

If on the inside it needs removing for cleaning.

If the body and eyepiece are still nitrogen or argon filled then reapplying inert gas is necessary to be waterproof.

So, where is the mold?

Can the scope be returned for a full refund?

The surface seems flat.
I suppose it could be a prism face, which means dismantling.

Not sure if Swarovski work on fungus or mold.
Some firms don't, although independent repairers do.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Thank you Binastro, the issue is internal, on one of the prisms unfortunately. I am within time for a full refund, however, the scope appears to be a good sample, so I am reluctant to return it. I will contact Swarovski to enquire about repair.

Just a brief update, the store has agreed to arrange a courier to collect next week, and they will also return to Swarovski on my behalf. Good service so far (though would've preferred to not have to return the scope in the first instance), will update as and when if there is interest in the current service at Swarovski UK.

Personally, I would not take a telescope in that condition into my home.
Even if it was free.

At least at my age.
When younger I might have tried to clean it.

I am surprised if a bricks and mortar store sold a telescope in that condition.
I would not sell such a scope to anybody.

If I had such a scope, if the eyepiece was O.K I would keep the eyepiece.
I would either throw the scope body in the bin or offer it to my friendly repair man for free.

It may be that Swarovski are willing to clean it.
We will find out.

I don't think that Zeiss would.

It may be the mold will just wipe off, but I suspect that the internal paint and other parts are also affected.

How it got into that state I don't know, if it is a waterproof scope.
Perhaps it isn't a waterproof scope.

I have thrown similar affected lenses in the trash, although I have also cleaned pretty badly affected large aero lenses.

In a way interesting, as I am surprised a scope could get this bad in the U.K.
Perhaps it was near the sea or in a badly affected home.

Regards,
B.

Mold or mould toxicity brings up interesting consequences.

This may be why some firms will not deal with mold or fungus in optics.

If a firm does deal with it, I suppose a separate building is used with one or two AirSentry type units with military grade filters.

I suppose masks are worn by the technicians and all cleaning material is correctly disposed.

I would think that the occasional cleaning of mold or fungus is O.K., but if regularly done then Health and Safety regulations apply.

The molds and fungi vary in toxicity.

There was a very large US mansion worth millions that had to be completely destroyed because of a deadly or potentially deadly mold.

Regards,
B.

Another update, the store I purchased the scope from has informed me that the warranty has expired, and therefore works are chargeable. C. £130 to correct the prism issue (undiagnosed by Swarovski), and C. £90 to fix the locking mechanism for the eyepiece.
Incredible service from LCE Bath - they have agreed to cover the repair costs on my behalf. Cannot rate the branch highly enough for how they have communicated and worked to resolve the issue for me.
Bad news is repair is likely to take 6 weeks, so I will miss the key birding period.

Another brief update: my scope is back in the UK following a full service - unfortunately I am away for a few days so won't be able to test it, but throughly impressed by how LCE has handled this for me. If you are considering used kit in the UK, LCE should be first point of call, cannot rate them highly enough.

A pleasant end to this tale - scope arrived this morning, carefully packaged and well wrapped. The prism has either been replaced or cleaned, whilst the eyepiece mount has been reinstated, with no movement in the mechanism. Optically the scope is top notch, delivering a superb wide bright image with the 25-50x.
Hats off to both LCE and Swarovski for great service 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back