• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attention! Nikon introduces two new fieldscopes and a new zoom.. (1 Viewer)

I agree with the Colonel here. I had been waiting to see what Nikon would do and this is not what I'd hoped for.

The only advantages I see in the new Nikon over the Kowa 88mm is a 75x eyepiece and (I hope, but can't tell for sure) they have continued to use their superior implementation of the Schmidt prism in the angled version. Unfortunately they have followed Zeiss and Leica and changed to a Schmidt-Pechan prism in the straight versions, something that makes no sense at all.

It's strange that 60x as a maximum magnification seems to have such a grip on spotting scope designers. Haven't they noticed that their large telescopes can do better than that?

And yes, it does look like a big flashlight.

....the as-yet-unavailable-in-Europe-EDG-binoculars, the new scopes probably won´t be available until 2011.;)

oh-eleven?
that early??
Or is there a digit missing in that number?

Still can't see the slightest trace of the EDG binos :)-C ) with my Diascope (Sorry, Niks, first come, first served 8-P)

Tom

We'll have to wait for better pictures, but the ones on the first link are disconcertingly symmetrical when one looks at the angled scope from left front or right front. That may mean that, contrary to what Henry hopes (and I do, too), the prism may no longer be oversized and offset. The specs of the new zoom, 20-60x and 2.1-1.1 degree field of view, would put it squarely slightly behind the competition for field-of-view while giving up on the magnification edge they have previously held. I also agree that it looks like a flashlight (and not the prettiest flashlight I have seen.)

If it is bigger, heavier, uglier and has what, for my viewing habits, is a less useful magnification range, I'm not going to start saving for it for the extra 3mm of aperture over my current ED 82 A. The ED 82 already has such good multicoatings and, due to its oversize prism, can do without phase coating of the prism, that I doubt there can be a meaningful improvement in this regard either.

Oh well, perhaps the next generation in 2019 will be the sub-two-kilo 90-100mm full-apo with a 30-90x superwide zoom that I really want.

And in the meantime, if Kowa would come up with that kind of a zoom for the 883, I might not have to wait that long.

Kimmo

Oh well, perhaps the next generation in 2019 will be the sub-two-kilo 90-100mm full-apo with a 30-90x superwide zoom that I really want.

And in the meantime, if Kowa would come up with that kind of a zoom for the 883, I might not have to wait that long.

Kimmo

Exactly!

I've got a Diascope 85, and to be honest I reckon I could quite easily carry a 100mm if it was in the same proportions. Perhaps because I am 6 foot 6, but hey ho.

As well, on a bright sunny day (which are rare up here!) my Diascope could already easily handle up to 70x I feel. However, I would particularly love this hypothetical perfect zoom to go down far enough, say 15x, to give me near full 7mm exit pupil for when I'm owl-watching in twilight etc.

The 25-50 wide angle zooms that Swarovski and Leica are trying to make us mugs pay 500 squid for are such a copout IMHO. The 25x is too high to scan with, and the 50x is just too low in some situations (e.g. using near water).

Bring on the 15-90x 100mm APO scope! It's what I for one would pay a lot of money for!!!

We'll have to wait for better pictures, but the ones on the first link are disconcertingly symmetrical when one looks at the angled scope from left front or right front. That may mean that, contrary to what Henry hopes (and I do, too), the prism may no longer be oversized and offset. The specs of the new zoom, 20-60x and 2.1-1.1 degree field of view, would put it squarely slightly behind the competition for field-of-view while giving up on the magnification edge they have previously held. I also agree that it looks like a flashlight (and not the prettiest flashlight I have seen.)

Kimmo,

I've been looking at those photos and trying my best to move the eyepiece off center. What a shame it will be if the very best erecting prism design is cast into oblivion.

Nikon should hire the Volkswagen Design Group. They manage to make Minox products look better than they are (even get credit in the specs), while homely forms and tacky gold lettering leave most Nikon products looking worse than they are.

Henry

Last edited:
..........homely forms and tacky gold lettering leave most Nikon products looking worse than they are.

Henry
That´s one reason I like them, Henry....they look like, well, telescopes, not display items. Even the advertising and the boxes are pretty basic.

Well aesthetically I'm in the 'looks ugly camp'. Clearly a ploy designed to make people buy the SOC too. ;)

I think with the 60x zoom issue it seems that no-one is prepared to be brave enough to go that extra distance. I know I'd rather have that than a wide angle 50x, even if it may not be digiscoping friendly.
Oh and I wouldn't count on Zeiss releasing a new spotting scope anytime soon with the Photoscope dominating their time and money. But then again you never know, we seem to be at that turnaround time for all brands.

Oh and I wouldn't count on Zeiss releasing a new spotting scope anytime soon with the Photoscope dominating their time and money.

Actually, the Zeiss Photoscope may be based on THE design concepts that eventually are able to give us *everything* that we diverse (& difficult) scope users have been wanting. I hate the Photo-part of this prototype, but the Photoscope is basically a spotting scope, which has a fixed wide-angled eyepiece and a 3x variable objective. By using two different fixed eyepieces it should be easily possible to cover the range 15-45x for the wide-angle-hungry digiscopers and, say, 30-90x for those who like to analyze aberrations... oops, I mean... need power ;). And all this without sacrificing AFOV or ER! And if we go even further, I can't see any reasons why they couldn't put a flip-out 2x barlow inside the barrel, which would create a scope that shows the entire true FOV of the objective and quite close to the maximal useful power without any need of changing eyepieces - and with a constant, eyeglass-friendly ER and constantly wide apparent FOV. Now that would be a scope to dream of. ;)

In the meantime I am very happy that Nikon finally brought an excellent selection of bayonet-mounted wide-angled eyepieces with fantastic ER. Maybe the design will not win beauty contests and I understand the disappointment of Henry and Kimmo for the loss of optically elegant reversal prism, but I think the straight scope body is an advantage for most users (who still don't use the cable-tie aiming systems). I am also quite sure that the new prism and wider eyepiece mount open new possibilities for Nikon to develop eyepieces further.

Best regards,

Ilkka :t:

Actually, the Zeiss Photoscope may be based on THE design concepts that eventually are able to give us *everything* that we diverse (& difficult) scope users have been wanting. I hate the Photo-part of this prototype, but the Photoscope is basically a spotting scope, which has a fixed wide-angled eyepiece and a 3x variable objective. By using two different fixed eyepieces it should be easily possible to cover the range 15-45x for the wide-angle-hungry digiscopers and, say, 30-90x for those who like to analyze aberrations... oops, I mean... need power ;). And all this without sacrificing AFOV or ER! And if we go even further, I can't see any reasons why they couldn't put a flip-out 2x barlow inside the barrel, which would create a scope that shows the entire true FOV of the objective and quite close to the maximal useful power without any need of changing eyepieces - and with a constant, eyeglass-friendly ER and constantly wide apparent FOV. Now that would be a scope to dream of. ;)

In the meantime I am very happy that Nikon finally brought an excellent selection of bayonet-mounted wide-angled eyepieces with fantastic ER. Maybe the design will not win beauty contests and I understand the disappointment of Henry and Kimmo for the loss of optically elegant reversal prism, but I think the straight scope body is an advantage for most users (who still don't use the cable-tie aiming systems). I am also quite sure that the new prism and wider eyepiece mount open new possibilities for Nikon to develop eyepieces further.

Best regards,

Ilkka :t:

Well make sure you tell them that! ;)

My dad has said that if he had the money then he'd happily get an all in one solution like the Photoscope.

But yes, great news that Nikon released some new 'top end' scopes (the RA series don't count). I suppose the ED Fieldscopes will be discontinued this year if the new one's are released.

I'm not very sure the FOV of Kowa, Zeiss and Swarovski zoom eyepiece specifications, but is it true that the new zoom eyepiece by Nikon is still narrow than the other brands ?

Henry,

I now read the Swedish press-release text. It talks about phase-correction coatings on the prisms of all models and dielectric mirror coatings on the straight-through models, so there's another strike against our hopes for the oversized Schmidt remaining.

An interesting accessory for the new scopes is a 3.5x zoom DSLR-adaptor for Nikon DSLR cameras. If this works well, it could be an attractive option for those who have or think of getting a Nikon camera.

A blog from the Shot Show that Kevin linked on the binocular forum includes a few sentences on the EDG scopes. That blogger says he was underwhelmed, but also says he only gave them a rather quick go in a display tent.

Kimmo

I am in the process of saving for an Ed82 with a 32w eyepiece so hopefully by the time i have enough it will have come down in price because of the new version, Happy days!!!!

Darryl

I'm not very sure the FOV of Kowa, Zeiss and Swarovski zoom eyepiece specifications, but is it true that the new zoom eyepiece by Nikon is still narrow than the other brands ?

AFOV in the new Nikon zoom is not specified in the same way as others. Using the simple method of multiplying real field by magnification would make the AFOV 44 degrees at 20x and 66 degrees at 60x.

That's similar to the Kowa and current Swarovski, narrower than the Zeiss and much narrower than the new Swarovski and Leica zooms (but those limit the magnification range to 25-50X).

Last edited:
Well I'm excited about the 20x eyepiece on the 85mm. This is exactly what I've been looking for even the 16x on the 65mm looks very promising. Unfortunately its probably going to be way out of my price range. One thing that has got me concerned is that from the pics I've seen it appears these new scopes are going to be some what front heavy but I could be wrong.

Well I'm excited about the 20x eyepiece on the 85mm. This is exactly what I've been looking for even the 16x on the 65mm looks very promising. Unfortunately its probably going to be way out of my price range. One thing that has got me concerned is that from the pics I've seen it appears these new scopes are going to be some what front heavy but I could be wrong.

I agree with JBT on the front-heavy look on the EDG 85--that is one elongated foot on that scope! Is one going to need a balance rail to fit that scope on their tripod? The specs say the body weighs a whopping 73 oz., add an eyepiece will put that scope at 80+ oz.--better have a sturdy tripod!

Well I just got an email from Cameraland and it looks like I won't be getting one of these new Nikons anytime soon. "$3299.99 with the 20-60x and will be available in the spring" is what I was told from Cameraland. I'll be sticking with the 82mm Fieldscope or the 80mm Pentax. Bummer.....

I was waiting for a few more info (I even couldn't found the images...), but some of my thoughts:
- it's a pity that the zoom isn't 3.5x as the DSLR adaptor. 20-70x would be a step forward to a 4 or 5x zoom;
- also a pity that's not compatible with Nikon FSBs adaptors. I do digiscopy with a zoom since don't like to change eyepiece to take photos - for that I would go for the DSLR adaptor;
- hope that these models will accept astro eyepieces;
- Nikon, you should produce a 100mm model, that would result in a 30-90x with the zoom;
- I's already seeing another use for the DSLR adaptor - an image erector for astro-telescopes with an incorporated 3.5x zoom!!!

Ikka you forgot to include in your wish list to Zeiss that the scope should be compatible with binoviewers... |:d|

David

Mad Prices

£2384!!!!!!!!!!!
For something that in all honesty doesn't sound that brilliant!
In a recession!!!!
Are Nikon mad???

I had been considering getting the ED82 as an addition to my ED50 and this made me make up my mind. Just received the ED82 with the 30X WF MC.
What a beautiful view - sharp, contrasty, colour saturated and not a hint of CA.

cheers

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back