• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

autumn migration thread (1 Viewer)

CBB said:
I was looking forward to emigrating to Canada. I'm not so sure now. Are you really far North or something?

Chris :eek!:
I am at 59 degrees latitude in Churchill Manitoba I live in a sub-arctic climate at the edge of the Boreal forest.
Winter temperature a balmy -45 C
But that's not all of Canada, just the great white north so feel free to join us we've got lots of room and we're really nice.
Rhonda

Edward said:
I saw big numbers of Whimbrels leaving southern Iceland on Saturday. On Monday the auks had virtually all left the cliffs (one Brünnich's Guillemot with chick, half a a dozen Common Guillemot with chicks), whilst last week there were still plenty, and tonight I went for a walk in the mountains around Reykjavik and the hills were alive with the sound of...no in fact they weren't, they were silent. The waders which breed so commonly in the hills are now down by the coast, massing for departure. It also gets dark at night now, a sure sign summer is rapidly ending.

E
It sounds just like here. Large flocks of European Starlings. the snow geese are back from above the tree line, the Canada's are in the air, huge flocks of Whimbrels left over the past week and I can hear other migrators flying by at night, I haven't seen an Arctic Tern for two days, I am going to miss them all when it's just me and the ravens.
Rhonda

First signs of movement on the N Norfolk coast today, bumped in to a Pied Fly at Titchwell, and a single Wheatear was prancing around the beach at Snettisham. Also a couple of Barreds in Norfolk today.

First reports here in the Balearic Islands of Willow warblers, Robins, Redstarts and Rollers. All these species are non-breeders here. Very early start this year.....

On my inland patch here in south Lincolnshire, various things coming through, with the most notable being a real increase in flava wags in the last 3 days - large numbers heading through south in small flocks. Also good numbers of Swifts on 14th, massive numbers of House Martins going through, and also the first Wheatear here of the autumn, messing around catching flies on the gravel workings.

wrexile1 said:
... large numbers heading through south in small flocks..

Good news |:p| - at my local patch larger numbers of ducks of any kind are starting to appear, most of them still in eclipse plumage (last week there were + or - 40-50, this morning, after being frightened by something, hundreds of them flew off and filled the sky, almost countless); more snipes are around and I spotted the first avocet since last Spring, a juvenile probably (brown plumage); bee-eaters are gathering as well and fly here and there 'whistling' - further descriptions in the days to come ...

Seen a few hummingbirds buzz about the past few weeks - all females. I surmise the males have gone to stake out their winter territories?

just been told of a group of fifteen whimbrel flying over whitlingham country park (east norwich) this afternoon,heading west!

may have come from breydon via the river yare valley?

matt

jimmy2faces said:
Wow that would be an exceptional record.

Though they do breed in small numbers in Scotland so could have been just UK birds on the move (Though guess Wales could have breeders?). There was a flock of over 30 birds seen regularly late summer near Inverness a few years ago.

John

The starlings are starting to flock up here in the northern mid-west and the geese are taking their grown goslings on longer flights out of Lake Erie.

Three new species arrived on the saltmarsh in the last couple of days,hope there's more to come.

Attachments

• bbs1.jpg
    bbs1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 99
  • ms.jpg
    ms.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 115
  • Avocet.jpg
    Avocet.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back