• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumwatch 2014 (2 Viewers)

Better than last years already. I recognise some of the audience. Annabel Rushton convinced me to become a member in some years ago. The presenters appear more relaxed. So embarrassing for Martin to be ignored like that and he had to point it out himself. What is the point of this roving reporter?

That's a good point, if you look at his page on Wikipedia, you can see he's more than qualified for what he's doing, but he gets portrayed as the programme's resident buffoon. He is probably a bit self-deprecating and game for a laugh but he must wonder if he'll ever get a chance to show that he knows more than he lets on.

Martin doesn't help his portrayal of a buffoon by being filmed in that murk. That wasn't necessary - could have been on the bank or in a boat! That was just stupid.

Really enoyed the show last night - some great coverage of the Starlings

Did not relaise that Michaela has been through a lot with her health - bless her. :gh:

Martin , well what can I say - he gets all the dirty parts - he seems to enjoy himself that is the main thing

Regards
Kathy
x

Martin doesn't help his portrayal of a buffoon by being filmed in that murk. That wasn't necessary - could have been on the bank or in a boat! That was just stupid.

Totally agree with this and other similar comments.

It did look as though it was "two's company, three is a crowd" and how stupid to put him in the water, diving to bring up mud and clumps of weed.

Think it be great if Martin did what Simon King used to do go in different locations not at the reserve itself.

It was great to see Michaela looking so cheerful and vivacious after her recent health issues. A good programme.

Ron

Totally agree.It was great to see her looking so well,after what she has been through recently.I was also fascinated by the report on Starlings/Sewage Treatment Plants/Anti Depressents discussion.

I cannot believe they showed one of my photographs on it! Better than last year definitely! The view of Leighton Moss from above gives it a true sense of scale and a reminder of how much of the reserve we do not see!

Martin is the one reason I struggle to take Autumnwatch seriously. I watched it for the first time last night for some time. Same subject areas does not help much either. Fond memories of Leighton Moss is not enough to save the "Britains got wildlife talent" approach to the format. Respect for Mr Packham. No issues with Ms Strachan either. That Martin bloke has no place in a serious wildlife programme.

Last edited:
I think Martin has been sidelined and made the butt of the others' humour in a really non-productive and unreasonable producers' decision. He's not as bad as he is made to portray himself. I really don't know why they have to have a clown, it's not a circus.

That said, there really is no excuse for the awful mawkish miracle babies rubbish he does as his extra-curricular activity.

John

Martin is the one reason I struggle to take Autumnwatch seriously. I watched it for the first time last night for some time. Same subject areas does not help much either. Fond memories of Leighton Moss is not enough to save the "Britains got wildlife talent" approach to the format. Respect for Mr Packham. No issues with Ms Strachan either. That Martin bloke has no place in a serious wildlife programme.

I would be careful with the word serious, I would interpret that as a programme targeted at serious naturalists, in much the way that "British Wildlife" magazine is serious. Springwatch and Autumnwatch are aimed at a very wide audience including younger viewers, and one of it's aims is surely to educate and enthuse people of the wonders of nature. A difficult task to please all of the people all of the time. On balance, I think the three principal presenters do a good job and clearly work better together than their predecessors. I also think Nick Baker has improved presenting Unsprung.
I should also add that the programme does tackle "serious" issues to a degree, e.g.the plight of the hen harrier.
I've enjoyed the series so far, technical glitch notwithstanding. Congratulations to the BBC and ALL the presenters, thank you.

I would be careful with the word serious, I would interpret that as a programme targeted at serious naturalists, in much the way that "British Wildlife" magazine is serious. Springwatch and Autumnwatch are aimed at a very wide audience including younger viewers, and one of it's aims is surely to educate and enthuse people of the wonders of nature. A difficult task to please all of the people all of the time. On balance, I think the three principal presenters do a good job and clearly work better together than their predecessors. I also think Nick Baker has improved presenting Unsprung.
I should also add that the programme does tackle "serious" issues to a degree, e.g.the plight of the hen harrier.
I've enjoyed the series so far, technical glitch notwithstanding. Congratulations to the BBC and ALL the presenters, thank you.

If you've ever watched "Deadly 60" with Steve Backshall it is a masterclass in how to interest children in wildlife and introduce concepts to them. Its not necessary to waste valuable wildlife programming time with really pointless antics, and it under-rates the children as well. A bit of humour - good. What Martin is being put through - silly.

John

Can't comment on Deadly 60 never seen it. Martin's contribution on the use of drones was perfectly acceptable. I think the criticism of Martin is unfortunate.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back