• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Axe Estuary (3 Viewers)

Can't find a suitable map Jamie, but its on the "to do" list..

James, I have a pdf of the 2007 EDDC map reproduced in the AESB Bird Report. Obviously it doesn't have Black Hole Marsh and all the latest developments, but in the absence of anything else I've attached it below.

For anyone unfamiliar with the area, Black Hole Marsh now occupies the field containing the virtually parallel lines just W of the tramline, almost opposite number 6, with Stafford Marsh and the new Field Study centre lying between there and Colyford Common LNR. Actually, the more I look at it, the more inadequate this map now appears. Come on James! |=)|

Incidentally, if publishing it here breaches any copyright laws you'd better let me know - I don't want to inadvertently cross any lines! ;)

EDIT. Two things I've just thought of:
1. The tramline is not red (as indicated in the key) but is actually the thick black line that runs down the centre of the map.
2. Ample parking for Black Hole Marsh etc is available through the Seaton Cemetery, which is situated on E side of the bend in the main road that runs N to S down the left hand side of the map. Draw a horizontal line straight left from the top of the number 6 circle and you'll have it. Drive through the cemetery gates, carry straight on through and you'll come to the new car park. All this waffle certainly highlights the need for an up-to-date map!

Attachments

• Axe Estuary 2007 pdf.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Thanks Gavin, this will be an interesting comparison when an up to date map appears in the next few hours to illuminate the full extent of developments down on the wetlands. I'm not in work for a few days, but I have a inkling that one of my colleagues will have something posted here in due course. A fully annotated map exists, I just can't seem to find it in the labyrinth of our filing system!

James

There was a Little Ringed Plover on Black Hole Marsh this morning. I have also attached a photo of Thursdays Avocet taken in the rain.

Attachments

• Lrp SDC17978.jpg
    Lrp SDC17978.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Avocet SDC17843.jpg
    Avocet SDC17843.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 139
First winter Iceland Gull on the estuary this afternoon and later roosting at the southern end of Seaton Marshes

Attachments

• iceland april 3.jpg
    iceland april 3.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 138
... I have a inkling that one of my colleagues will have something posted here in due course. A fully annotated map exists, I just can't seem to find it in the labyrinth of our filing system!

James

Not fully annotated, but a more up-to-date map is attached. This is very much 'work in progress' and it will probably be superseded fairly quickly.

The 'Tower Hide' is shown on the map even though this is currently under construction - it should be finished by about Easter.

Attachments

• Axe Estuary Wetlands.pdf
    509.6 KB · Views: 169
Not fully annotated, but a more up-to-date map is attached. This is very much 'work in progress' and it will probably be superseded fairly quickly.

The 'Tower Hide' is shown on the map even though this is currently under construction - it should be finished by about Easter.

Top notch stuff Doug, what a fabulous place... I must get down there some time soon!

James

A few Reed Warblers and Sedge Warblers singing at Black Hole Marsh yesterday.

Also 2 broods of Mallard ducklings on view from the Field Studies Base Hide.

Highlights from the marshes over the last few days must be the hedgerows and reedbeds filling with the cacophony of reed and sedge warbler song - simply delicious!

Oystercatchers busy on the lagoon, was shown a photo by a local photographer this morning of the pair "getting busy" in the original sense. Also redshanks have been seen buzzing about the place - finger's crossed for breeding on the marshes this year!

Tower hide progressing a pace, can't wait for that perch to be open and operating!

James

Black Hole Marsh was swarming with Hirundines this evening with a fall of several hundred birds - Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins everywhere - Brilliant!

Can't find a suitable map Jamie, but its on the "to do" list.

Avocet on the estuary today viewable from the Seaton Marshes hide, also 26 black tailed godwit in varying degrees of summer plumage. A few straggling wigeon left on the river too.

James,

How far down your "to-do" list is this please? :stuck:

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Fortunately my excellent colleague Doug has pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat and come up with something. PDF attachment to be found at the top of this page.

James

I know this is Bird Forum, but I am going to mention the 'M' word - Mammals. Tomorrow is a full day of mammal activities and events on the Axe Estuary Wetlands. Tracking, trapping and thoroughly immersing ourselves in mammal-related high-jinks. We're starting at 10am and things will go on all day until 4pm. Drop by and say "Hi" to the team, or partake in a spot of vole fondling. After all, they are the food of kestrels!

James

hello All.
weve found the new thread, some great reports,
we noticed the hoopoe, was a big hit & a wonderful Bird on our Patch,
It was in my brothers garden, a amazing garden Tick.
We had great views,
Heres a pic,
Sue & Simon,

Attachments

• 136.JPG
    136.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 116
A Great White Egret in breeding plumage on Seaton Marshes lagoon this afternoon. Showing well from the hide.

Attachments

• great white.jpg
    great white.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 121
  • crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 103
  • gwe1.jpg
    gwe1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Hi Jamie,

Fortunately my excellent colleague Doug has pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat and come up with something. PDF attachment to be found at the top of this page.

James

James,

Many thanks (and Doug) didn't see the map above - no sorted.

Jamie

Dropped in on the Island Hide at Black Hole Marsh this evening. There was plenty about, with the highlights being a Drake Garganey and a male Kestrel hunting over the islands.

Even though it is not quite ready, we are planning to open the Tower Hide for the Easter weekend. There will be a distinct lack of windows and probably no benches to sit on, but I can guarantee some outstanding views if you decide to visit. We will need to close it again from Tuesday to Thursday next week so that we can finish it off.

Dropped in on the Island Hide at Black Hole Marsh this evening. There was plenty about, with the highlights being a Drake Garganey and a male Kestrel hunting over the islands.

Even though it is not quite ready, we are planning to open the Tower Hide for the Easter weekend. There will be a distinct lack of windows and probably no benches to sit on, but I can guarantee some outstanding views if you decide to visit. We will need to close it again from Tuesday to Thursday next week so that we can finish it off.

Doug, Thanks to your map we made it this afternoon to the Island Hide at Black Hole Marsh. Having negotiated the Mosquito Bridge (or whatever they were) we saw a pair of Wheatears, 2 Ringed Plovers (and a third possibly a Little Ringed Plover or a juvenile Ringed Plover?) A Moorhen, a Mallard and her single duckling, a couple of Shelduck, Coots, Wagtails and Black Headed Gulls.

Have to say that the infrastructure in these wetlands is very commendable and deserve our appreciative thanks!

Coming back from the Field Studies Centre on the lane on the right we saw/heard some warblers which unfortunately were framed by the Sun and couldn't make out what they were. They had vey little observable markings but sounded like a Grasshopper winding up slowly and increasing to quite a crescendo, any ideas what this might have been please?

We'll be back soon!

Jamie

Coming back from the Field Studies Centre on the lane on the right we saw/heard some warblers which unfortunately were framed by the Sun and couldn't make out what they were. They had vey little observable markings but sounded like a Grasshopper winding up slowly and increasing to quite a crescendo, any ideas what this might have been please?

We'll be back soon!

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The reedbeds and hedges around the Field Studies Base have been ringing out with the calls of sedge warblers for the last 2 weeks. Cracking call which is at its strongest now, calming down a bit as the season progresses.

Glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you will indeed be back!

James

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back