• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B&L Discoverer 7×50 (1 Viewer)

Spartan J

Can anyone tell me who made the glass .? Just in interest they were the last pair that was delivered fromB &L.I think I bought them in 1988 give or take.they are pristine except for the eye cups.can't find replacements but they work foe eyeglasses .They are cracked at the point where they fold but they will work this way only for years,unless I think if you roll them up.Anyone here ever see through the glass that could give me their thoughts so I can get a base linefor comparison, I cant use them anymore to heavy.Thanks for any imput.

Is this a Porroprism or roof prism binocular?

Photos would help.

Does it have JB numbers etc. somewhere?
If it does, it is fairly easy to find the maker.

Regards,
B.

I'm old enough to not know how to add a photo,LOL.porro prism with a 7.3° fov.I never noticed before but there is a made in Japan statement on them.

Hi Spartan J.

Then it is likely that there is a JB and JE stamp somewhere with 2 or 3 numbers, maybe inside the front of the objective tubes or on the body.

It sounds like a standard 7x50 Porro prism binocular, but I don't know what the quality it is.

What are the numerals on the Japan sticker?

I also don't know how to add photos without help.

Regards,
B.

I have spent sometime looking inside and out ,I have found the # 02410 on the objective end of say the focus shaft.I paid $ 345.00 for them new if that helps.at this point I don't want anyone spending much time on this.I'm resurching a replacement for my MIJ viper 8x32's that are only a few months old out of the box from new.I need a little more er sense I've had to change glasses frames permanently.to bad they are great. Thanks J

The 02410 is probably the serial number, or possibly the model number.

But this doesn't directly point to the manufacturer.

B.

A google search turns up several mentions of Katsuma as the Japanese maker of the B&L Discoverers from the 1980s. They were high quality, but very basic old B&L designs, essentially Zephyrs with full multi-coating.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back