• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basic tripod advise (1 Viewer)

Woen

Netherlands
Hi all,

In the amount of topics maybe someone can point me into the right direction, there must be a topic that is covering a similair question, I'm looking for a good combination of tripod and head for a Leica apo televid 77.

Thanks in advance!

There are plenty of options available, depending on your budget.
The top spec stuff is made by Gitzo, and can cost ~£1000.
At the mid to lower end of the market, for something perfectly useable and with good longevity I'd recommend looking at the CF tripods from Velbon, Benro and Manfrotto.
The Leica is quite a heavy scope (but still excellent) so a good fluid head is worth investing in. Manfrotto MVH500 seems popular but I have no experience with it. I use a 128RC and sometimes a 501HDV, both of which are fine for my needs.
Hope this helps!

Hello Woen,

I would look at the Berlebach line. Some believe that wooden tripods dampen vibrations.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi all,

In the amount of topics maybe someone can point me into the right direction, there must be a topic that is covering a similair question, I'm looking for a good combination of tripod and head for a Leica apo televid 77.

Thanks in advance!
Two questions are often asked:
  • Do you plan on walking and/or carrying the tripod long distances on a regular basis?
  • Do you plan to setup up relatively close to a vehicle and be stationary?

How you answer those questions can help determine what tripod material, and collapsed tripod size, might be most practical.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

If you are thinking of buying a straight 'scope, rather than an angled 'scope, and if you are thinking of sharing the view, then a tripod with an adjustable column would be worthwhile.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Two questions are often asked:
  • Do you plan on walking and/or carrying the tripod long distances on a regular basis?
  • Do you plan to setup up relatively close to a vehicle and be stationary?

How you answer those questions can help determine what tripod material, and collapsed tripod size, might be most practical.
I will take it out on walks, but I'm also used to pack 10kg for fun and some training. It's just a new world for me. I bought a Apo Televid 77 45° with a 32 WW. Tried to test in on a normal tripod but that wasn't a succes.

This tripod primer by Tringa45 is good to read:

Leg diameter affects stability. In general, if the material of the tripod leg is equal thickness, then a tripod leg with a larger diameter will be more stable than a leg of smaller diameter.

When comparing tripods from different manufacturers that are made from the same material, look at the specifications for the diameters of each leg section if available.

Gitzo, Manfrotto, Benro, Leofoto all list the diameter of each of their leg sections under the technical specifications on their web site. This is a big help when comparing brands and prices. However leg diameter does not tell you how thick the wall is of each tripod leg, or how stiff/rigid the specific material and leg locks used are compared to the material and leg locks a competitor uses.

Carbon fiber tripods are popular right now. A carbon fiber tripod is not shake free. Their main advantage is shaving at most 1kg of weight off the legs. A good quality aluminum tripod that is as stable (or more stable) will cost less, but will weigh more.

Some brands were mentioned by posters above at various price points

What sets Gitzo as a top level tripod is:
  • the carbon fiber is high quality and stiff
  • the leg locks are rigid and hold well
  • the tripods achieve the combination stiffness/rigidity with some of the lowest overall weights
  • they can be repaired/rebuilt if a part breaks

Companies like Benro and Leofoto offer carbon fiber tripods that are less expensive to purchase. The trade off is that even though they are carbon fiber, when compared to a more expensive brand, they may weigh a little more, they may not be quite as rigid/stiff, and/or they may not be repairable/rebuildable.

In aluminum there are tripods like the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 or the Slik 700DX Pro. These two tripods are pretty equal. They are both very affordable tripods from companies that have been making tripods for many years. Slik is less expensive than Manfrotto. They are tall. They are stable. They support a large scope very well. They both weigh around 2.5kg.

We have used a Slik 700DX Pro for a number of years and it has served us very well. For the price it is a great tripod. I have carried it many times on full day birding outings with lots of walking, but to be honest the size and weight were not fun. We upgraded to a couple high quality carbon fiber tripods that are just as stable, weigh less, and are smaller when fully collapsed.

Last edited:
Very useful information and many thanks. I knew that I had to go out for a good tripod and head and I didn't intend on buying a scope already, I can test this one for a week or so. In the meantime I can go and use someone else his tripod/head setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back