• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bedford Park and some oddities (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
hi there

I went for a walk today, and decided to have a walk around Bedford Park Pond area, and look at the Wildfowl which reside there. I usually like to see how the Cygnets are getting along from last years Mute Swans. They are fine.

Anyway I was having a good look at the assortment of birds Moorhens, Coots, Canada Geese, Mallards and the lone Heron.

I sat on the bench, and observed the birds up close, only to find some oddities in the colouration of the feathers, and general markings over a couple of bodies of a couple the Mallards.

One bird looked although she/he had the ID of a Female Goldeneye. There appeared to be a distinctive red circular mark at the end of the bill. She had a collar of white around her neck She appeared to be the odd one out amongst the grouping of the Mallards. She moved off with them too.
There was another oddity too as this bird did not have the colouration of the Mallards either. This bird was dark chocolate coloured body, with a blue/grey bill like a Tufted duck (moulting maybe).

Ask a question here - are these birds that have attached themselves to the large Mallard group. Is this normal duck behaviour. Mallards pair in autumn so where do the couple of oddities fit in the group?

Just wondered, or is it a safety in numbers thing.

hello Peewit,

Beware the wildfowl at Bedford Park as there are feral "mongrel" types that you may be watching. Domestic varieties have interbred to give some unusual looking "Mallards". There used to also be an escaped/released Cotton teal present too if my memory serves be right plus the odd plastic RCPochard.

Village and town parks do attract wild birds but often provide a congregation of what I would term, feral birds as well.

Hope this helps. Must pop up to the park and see what's about for myself.

Robin

hello Peewit,

Beware the wildfowl at Bedford Park as there are feral "mongrel" types that you may be watching. Domestic varieties have interbred to give some unusual looking "Mallards". There used to also be an escaped/released Cotton teal present too if my memory serves be right plus the odd plastic RCPochard.

Village and town parks do attract wild birds but often provide a congregation of what I would term, feral birds as well.

Robin

hi Robin

Thank you for your reply, and your observations here. Great to met another Bedford birder.

I can see what you mean about interbred, as the species look so different. So as you say it is still a Mallard of some description. The bird with the red circular area on its bill (the one and only I could see) was different and stood out in the crowd.

I am sure I have seen a Pochard over my past yearly visits to Bedford Park. As a matter of course my OH thought it was not a Pochard but something else. Hence the confusion here.

Maybe a survey of the area would be good to keep track what is what here. Ringed birds etc.... of course it may come at a cost too. I can see that the mute Swans have been ringed, so why not other birds to see the state of things to come in the future. Just concerned here.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
hello Peewit,

Robin

hi robin

Would love to hear you opinions about the dolly mixture of ducks in the park.

Look forward to hearing about information :t:

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back