• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner Feedback on FZ330 (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was asking for some advice a couple of weeks back regarding beginner cameras, and I notice there are a few more asking for the same. So, given that posters took the time to give me some advice, and other beginners may benefit; I'd like to offer a spot of feedback.

To put this in some sort of context, I've barely used a camera of any description for any purpose in my life: even when I go on holiday (abroad or in Britain) I'm not a big fan of stopping to take pictures of things I find interesting. Clearly what I'm about to say won't apply to anyone except beginners.

Graham Houghton's You Tube instruction is a God-send for people like me ignorant of even a cursory understanding of the capabilities of a camera. So far, I've just followed Graham's basic instructions, i.e. put it on AF and a few other bits and pieces recommended as a simple start for beginners. I break up from work tomorrow for 8 days so that gives me some time to learn more about the camera and try out a few things as per Graham's instructions.

This camera is perfect for someone like me who just wanted to make a start while getting some good pictures and other pictures that help with identification. I'm finding no problems with it whatsoever, and the only mildly disappointing times have been due to my lack of experience. Initially, I just wasn't getting into the right positions and as a result was limited to pictures from long range: I sort of adopted the same tactics as using binoculars. Once I quickly worked out that wasn't a good move for bird photography, where to go and how to get there with stealth then things fell into place. I'm finding no problems with the speed of being able to get the camera on the subject: actually it is much better in that respect than some of the reviews I have read. I'm not one for sitting around in a bird hide. I like to be on the move and I like to be walking in nature, and part of the thrill is in the chase; and all that said it is the ideal piece of equipment to do that. The times I've missed good photo opportunities when in good positions have been due to me being a bit too keen and as a result losing track of the bird and losing the opportunity when really the bird was there long enough to get a good shot had I done better.

Battery life: I would say between 4 and 5 hours and that is with it switched on most of the time during that period. As with everything in life there is always a positive to any situation and in this instance it's probably a good thing for me because I'm also learning to play guitar and want to split my time between the two. A longer battery life would make it too easy to think: "I'll just have another hour and see what turns up".

I've had the camera for a couple of weeks now and I would say first week 'struggling to get anything decent, but again down to me not being in the right positions. Now that I'm comfortable with this camera, it is good enough for me to get some nice shots of a wide range of birds in various habitats after only a couple of weeks of owning it even in its most basic settings and use. I imagine someone experienced will be taking outstanding pictures with this camera.

If it helps anyone for cost, I picked up a second hand one in very good condition for 230 quid.

Hope this helps anyone in the same position I was a few weeks back, and again thanks to those who took the time to give what turned out to be some spot on advice.

Cheers,
Paul

Especially if you end up traveling (I wish I could!) it probably would be a good idea with at least one spare battery. I like having it that way anyway so that if I am charging one, there is another in the camera ready for the unexpected.

Niels

Especially if you end up traveling (I wish I could!) it probably would be a good idea with at least one spare battery. I like having it that way anyway so that if I am charging one, there is another in the camera ready for the unexpected.

Niels

Hi Niels,

Travelling local or farther afield? Do you mean you don't have transport? Or something covid related?

As I say, I don't want to devote all of my spare time to it as I have other interests and the temptation would be to keep trying in the event of unlimited battery, and as a result end up spending all day sneaking around the countryside!

I was hinting at the Covid situation. I live in a country that is very small, and have not been outside since February.

Niels

I was hinting at the Covid situation. I live in a country that is very small, and have not been outside since February.

Niels

Fair enough, Niels. I wouldn't want to come over as telling anyone what to do but my opinion is it's not healthy to live in fear and isolation. There's a balance to be found in there somewhere.

I knocked most things on the head when they were open. My existence was home, working at home, swimming, a walk in nature and the odd pint here and there in a beer garden. Outdoors is pretty much safe as houses providing you keep a couple of metres. I reckon people can still live some sort of life while being careful, and it definitely isn't an either/or situation.

Why wouldn't you go outside and have a walk in the fresh air with your camera? The risk of picking the virus up must be virtually nil in that scenario (assuming you're not a keen advocate of giving random strangers hugs and kisses in the street!)

I should have been more precise. I meant outside the country, not literally outside :cool:

I am fine with the situation here in Barbados and we live well here. No local transmission detected for a very long time. But the island is small enough that bird life and nature overall is very limited. I am looking forward to the day I will feel safe traveling to a more bird rich area again.

Niels

I should have been more precise. I meant outside the country, not literally outside :cool:

I am fine with the situation here in Barbados and we live well here. No local transmission detected for a very long time. But the island is small enough that bird life and nature overall is very limited. I am looking forward to the day I will feel safe traveling to a more bird rich area again.

Niels

I was in Barbados in January, and other places 'round there. 'Would love to go for the cricket. I know what you mean in terms of foreign travel: you wouldn't get me on a plane for love nor money at this point in time.

Niels
Puerto Rico and Jamaica have a healthy bird population and they are only a single engine plane ride away, or maybe even the ferry.

Unfortunately, we are currently in a peak of new cases here in BB and the country is in Lock down.
Puerto Rico and Jamaica have a healthy bird population and they are only a single engine plane ride away, or maybe even the ferry.
And both of those places have had quite a bit of covid during the last half year.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back