• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz Wetzlar Trinovid Binoculars with Case - Genuine Article or a Fake? Advice please (1 Viewer)

Shoops

United Kingdom
Hi -
I have attached photos of a pair of binoculars I have found in my late father's belongings and I am unsure as to whether they are a genuine set of Leitz Wetzlar binoculars or not. The binoculars and the case are in great condition - they don't seem to have had much use - and the clarity and focus are excellent. However, the wording around the eyepieces has got me wondering. 'Trinovid 10x40B 105m/1000m'. I can find no record of a '105m' version. The serial number 760059 appears on the other eyepiece. I have done a fair bit of research on the internet and, if original and genuine, they will date between 1967 and 1970? Is anyone able to enlighten me please. I would like to give them to a very keen bird-watching friend of mine but I wish to be clear on their provenance beforehand.
Many thanks.

IMG_0732.jpegIMG_0733.jpegIMG_0734.jpegIMG_0735.jpegIMG_0736.jpegIMG_0737.jpeg

Apparently it’s real see
post in thread 'leica questions'
leica questions

…” I have seen more strange things, for instance, how about a 10x40 Trinovid with an ID ring mentioning a 105/1000m FOV?”

Send the poster a PM maybe he can elaborate.

Apparently it’s real see
post in thread 'leica questions'
leica questions

…” I have seen more strange things, for instance, how about a 10x40 Trinovid with an ID ring mentioning a 105/1000m FOV?”

Send the poster a PM maybe he can elaborate.
Thank you for your help and speedy response zzzzzz. I will look to send a PM.
Kind regards. :)

Thank you for your help and speedy response zzzzzz. I will look to send a PM.
Hello Sarah,

Nice pair in good condition, congratulations. Rest assured, these are 100% original. Leitz issued the 10x40 Trinovid in 1962 with a field of 122@1000m, then in the years 1968-1972 they experimented with more eye relief (the 10x40 B type) which went to the expense of FoV (105@1000m). In those years one may find both types, B's and non-B's (for instance the Olympic 1972 limited edition is non-B). From about 1973/74 the B-type is accepted as the standard model with a FoV of 110@1000m.
As B stands for 'Brille', German for spectacles, your specimen, manufactured in 1971, is an early attempt to accommodate eyeglass wearers. Another nice extra are the strap loops which replaced the original clips and studs.

Enjoy!

Renze

Last edited:
Hello Sarah,

Nice pair in good condition, congratulations. Rest assured, these are 100% original. Leitz issued the 10x40 Trinovid in 1962 with a field of 122@1000m, then in the years 1968-1972 they experimented with more eye relief (the 10x40 B type) which went to the expense of FoV (105@1000m). In those years one may find both types, B's and non-B's (for instance the Olympic 1972 limited edition is non-B). From about 1973/74 the B-type is accepted as the standard model with a FoV of 110@1000m.
As B stands for 'Brille', German for spectacles, your specimen, manufactured in 1971, is an early attempt to accommodate eyeglass wearers. Another nice extra are the strap loops which replaced the original clips and studs.

Enjoy!

Renze
Hi Renze.
Thank you for your knowledge and really helpful information. They are a lovely set and so it is good to know that they are the genuine article. However, It may present me with a small problem in that, being one of the executors of my father's estate, if they are of any value I would expect to declare them. I have seen a big variance in the value of Leitz Wetzlar binoculars.
Do you, or anyone out there, have any idea of a ballpark valuation? I can then consider whether I am in a position to gift or purchase them for my 'twitching' friend, or sell them on the open market and add the proceeds to the estate coffers.

Hi Renze.
Thank you for your knowledge and really helpful information. They are a lovely set and so it is good to know that they are the genuine article. However, It may present me with a small problem in that, being one of the executors of my father's estate, if they are of any value I would expect to declare them. I have seen a big variance in the value of Leitz Wetzlar binoculars.
Do you, or anyone out there, have any idea of a ballpark valuation? I can then consider whether I am in a position to gift or purchase them for my 'twitching' friend, or sell them on the open market and add the proceeds to the estate coffers.
Sarah,
Note that condition is paramount, and this applies to the body's user marks as well as to the lenses and prism's. That said and safely staying on the conservative side, I'd say they may fetch between 200 and 400. If you check eBay you'll see higher prices, both asked and sold, but these often are from well known sellers and no good indication to you.
Good luck,
Renze

Often times the coating sealing the silver coating on the prisms has been impacted (then the silver begins to tarnish), often without anyone even noticing it. Many of these Leitz Trinovid models on the used sales market suffer from this. Later advancement of these coatings from the late 90s to present are much better at protecting the silver.

Sarah,
Note that condition is paramount, and this applies to the body's user marks as well as to the lenses and prism's. That said and safely staying on the conservative side, I'd say they may fetch between 200 and 400. If you check eBay you'll see higher prices, both asked and sold, but these often are from well known sellers and no good indication to you.
Good luck,
Renze
Thank you for this helpful information. I think it is safe to say that these binoculars will now be heading to my committed birdwatcher friend! (y):)

Often times the coating sealing the silver coating on the prisms has been impacted (then the silver begins to tarnish), often without anyone even noticing it. Many of these Leitz Trinovid models on the used sales market suffer from this. Later advancement of these coatings from the late 90s to present are much better at protecting the silver.
Thank you for the info - all helpful. I think these binoculars have spent the majority of their life in the case and have been rarely used, as to my untrained eye, I can see no visible signs of deterioration or tarnish. They will get plenty of use from now onwards though!(y):)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back