• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BELOW THEM, THE WAVES (1 Viewer)

greykangaroo

Australia
I have just returned from cruising the Great Barrier Reef in the Royal Caribbean liner 'Quantum of the Seas'.
Out there beyond the reef about three hundred miles is a marvelous bird habitat called Willis Island.
Willis Island is the furthest weather station east of Australia and is inhabited all year round by just four scientific people.
The Island is home to thousands of sea birds.
After the ships call in to view the island the sea birds become 'ship followers' for hundreds of miles back toward Australia.

It seems a one way street, but sometime the birds have to return home to nests and chicks at their island home. I just can't understand when they do this.
They never rest on the ships, and if they alight on the water to rest a lot must get taken by tunas and their like.
Maybe someone reading this might give an opinion on how and when they venture back.
Now my intention isn't to compete with all the great photos of the Willis Island's birds that are shown on many sites on the net. I invite those interested to call it up.
It is to show the ship followers which spend all day diving and grabbing the flying fish that the ship's bow wave flushes out.

BR 3.jpgBR 2.jpgBR 5.jpgBR 7.jpg

YOUR OCEAN IS SO LARGE LORD AND WE ARE SO SMALL
BR 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back