• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 6x roof for the money? (1 Viewer)

FJDave

Hi all. I am again looking for a binocular and would like to ask for your opinions. I have 3 Minox HG's (2 German 8x and 10x and 1 Japan 8x). I also have a Ziess 8x20 Victory and a Swaro porro. I ride an on-off road motorcycle and walk in the woods quite often and am looking for something to carry along. I carry the Minox most often now but would prefer something a little less expensive with one of those warranties that covers anything. I want a great fov and very good depth as well. I also want small/compact, durable, and hopefully no (or not much) more than about $300.00. I've been reading about the Vortex but wonder if there is something else I should consider. I was leaning toward the Viper 6x but read where the fov is a bit narrow. The Fury seems kinda hit and miss and I don't care for the size being larger than my Minox 8's.

If a nice deal comes up on pre-owned I am cartainly interested in that as well so please let me know if you see something there as well. After this I'll be looking toward an entry level scope. ;)

Thanks!

I should have added I have not ruled out a monocular either. Back to a bin, woods carry I would like the greater depth of field. Bike carry, I'm wanting durability, size and weight since it will be carried in a small backpack but don't want something that is such poor quality that it won't get used. Oh, should be waterproof too. It will get banged around a bit so that warranty is very important. I know, I know, champagne taste on a beer budget, lol.

Bottom line is, I really like what I have but don't want to chance breaking any of them. So for a hard user I want the best that $300.00 will buy and a good no nonsense warranty. Thanks again...

Last edited:
Have you looked through the Fury? Admittedly, it is not very compact but I find the view awesome, especially when I wear my spectacles.
It replaced my Minox HG 8x33 and I'm not looking back. It has a very large FOV and is very speedy to use - splendid for warblers in the forest or reed.
But you could try to find an Amplivid/Trinovid 6x24 if you want a more compact bin.

//L

Leupold Katmai 6x32. The fact that I have one for sale on the classifieds section is not a factor in my recommending these, because you'd probably get a cheaper deal in the U.S. without shipping.;) Great little bins, though. Compact, comfortable, bright, wide, sharp, waterproof.

If it weren't for the size I would already have the Fury. I like the specs, price and warranty...but not the size. That's why I've been looking at the Viper since they went on sale but don't like the smaller fov compared to the Fury.

I know nothing of the Leupold Katmai but will try to read some soon, thank you. That no fault warranty that some are offering these days is sure appealing with this particular purchase. I'm normally very easy on my "stuff" but when on the bike or in the woods it's not always easy.

I've been doing some reading on monoculars. I guess there must be a reason(s) why these aren't more popular...? Steadiness seems to be an issue maybe...

I've been doing some reading on monoculars. I guess there must be a reason(s) why these aren't more popular...? Steadiness seems to be an issue maybe...

Yes, I've tried monoculars as a biking solution, but it didn't work for me (despite the monocular being excellent, a Leica 8x20). Too hard to hold steady, for me anyways. I now use a Leica Ultravid 8x20 when cycling, it's really the only thing that'll fit unnoticeably in the pocket of my cycling vest on a road-bike. If I were doing a lot of birding from a hybrid, I'd use the Katmais. I had a pair of Fury 6.5x32, but didn't like the size - I found them quite bulky, and the central upper-hinge protruded upwards when I adjusted them to my IPD, making them quite uncomfortable to hold. The Katmais seem to be popular with U.S. hunters, all the promotional stuff online about them features guys with ordnance, camo and lots of talk about deer and stuff.

Last edited:
I have the fury (for another 2 weeks, until I hand it over as a gift) and while its comfortable and has a great view, it is quite large compared to other 6 or 7 x30's. The Katmai's are on the other end of the spectrum- quite small for 6x30's.

I mention this because you stated a crition as being small & compact. While these are relative terms, I wouldnt consider the Fury's either.

Thanks guys. I've been doing a lot of reading today and I went over to garage and got my Japanese Minox out of truck and brought home to re-evaluate. Since I already own these and I'm not yet finding exactly what I seem to think I'm looking for (at what I want to spend, lol) maybe my money would be better spent on a rugged little first spotting scope. The Katmai's sure look nice but the price puts it up there where I wouldn't want to be to rough with it. And on paper it looks close in size to my Japanese Minox. As stated the Fury is a bit big and the Viper is a bit expensive as is the Katmai. So unless something else is recommended that I've over looked I am going to begin looking at inexpensive rugged spotters. I've had my eye on the Minox but can't find much about it. Seems like a deal at less than $200.00 and also small and seemingly rugged. Thanks again!

Someone was selling a Minox 50 spotter recently on classifieds, and Cameraland in NYC (highly recommended) had some great deals on open-box units of same. If you do get it, I'd love to see a review!:t:

Someone was selling a Minox 50 spotter recently on classifieds, and Cameraland in NYC (highly recommended) had some great deals on open-box units of same. If you do get it, I'd love to see a review!:t:

Thanks. I looked it up but he decided to keep it. Wonder how he likes it? :) It was straight and I probably need angled. They just seem like such a bargin...makes you think there has to be a reason why. I know there are much better...but for anywhere near that price? Cameraland is where I bought my bin's. Neil told me last year the little Minox is what he chose to take along on an outdoor trip. Said he liked it very well.

I can also recommend the 6x32 Katmai as an excellent little bino. Very well built, great DOF, and at 4.1" nothing is smaller. I too think they are overpriced at the normal $400 selling price but if you keep your eye out on ebay, you can usually pick up a used mint one for $ 225 or so.

tom

If the mods would permit a mini-hijack...

... he decided to keep it. Wonder how he likes it? :)...

I initially snagged it purely because it seemed like such a great CL bargain. Without a bipod, it sat relatively unused for a while.

I offered it (and other items) for sale for the sole purpose to gin up $$ to quench my desire to try out some more binoculars. It is a mite bit addicting, you know? ;)

I decided to try them out again as a result of them not selling here, giving them one last try before I accepted taking a monitary loss on them.

This time, I gave them a fair shake, with a solid rest, and realized them for what they are. They arent binocs, cant be used as such without some adjustments (mono or tripod...vastly reduced FOV. etc) .

I snapped a couple of pics through it and, despite them coming out poorly, decided that they are something worth having - especially at the current prices.

The MD50 is built like a tank and is very small and light. I have no other experience with spotters, so my opinion on the optics isnt worth much. However, from 16 to mid range (low 20's) I found the image useful in IDing and viewing. Above that, I'd need a good tripod to tell.

For less than $200 shipped it is a terrific value imo.

(and no, mine isnt back up for sale!):-O

... and now back to your regularly scheduled thread!

If the mods would permit a mini-hijack...

I initially snagged it purely because it seemed like such a great CL bargain. Without a bipod, it sat relatively unused for a while.

I offered it (and other items) for sale for the sole purpose to gin up $$ to quench my desire to try out some more binoculars. It is a mite bit addicting, you know? ;)

I decided to try them out again as a result of them not selling here, giving them one last try before I accepted taking a monitary loss on them.

This time, I gave them a fair shake, with a solid rest, and realized them for what they are. They arent binocs, cant be used as such without some adjustments (mono or tripod...vastly reduced FOV. etc) .

I snapped a couple of pics through it and, despite them coming out poorly, decided that they are something worth having - especially at the current prices.

The MD50 is built like a tank and is very small and light. I have no other experience with spotters, so my opinion on the optics isnt worth much. However, from 16 to mid range (low 20's) I found the image useful in IDing and viewing. Above that, I'd need a good tripod to tell.

For less than $200 shipped it is a terrific value imo.

(and no, mine isnt back up for sale!):-O

... and now back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Awesome, thank you! I think I'll probably order one next week. I will probably have to go angled though due to my height. I'm 6'5" and it would either take a mighty tall tripod or a lot of bending over to go straight I'm afraid. I liked the idea of straight and a car window rest though. Eventually I hope to have a very nice scope but that won't be for a while I'm afraid.

Yes, I am aware 6x and 8x (30-32mm) are basically in the same housing. My concern was I didn't want a 6x to be larger than my little Japanese Minox's which are actually noticably smaller than the German version. The Katmai looks interesting (looks very nice actually) so I will keep my eye out for one in the low $200.00 range. If someone spots one don't be afraid to PM me...;) I do want a nice little 6x for the woods one of these days. Thanks again!

Oh, forgot to mention, I'm looking at the EO too. Looks nice and had good reviews on their site. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all. I am again looking for a binocular and would like to ask for your opinions. I have 3 Minox HG's (2 German 8x and 10x and 1 Japan 8x). I also have a Ziess 8x20 Victory and a Swaro porro. I ride an on-off road motorcycle and walk in the woods quite often and am looking for something to carry along. I carry the Minox most often now but would prefer something a little less expensive with one of those warranties that covers anything. I want a great fov and very good depth as well. I also want small/compact, durable, and hopefully no (or not much) more than about $300.00. I've been reading about the Vortex but wonder if there is something else I should consider. I was leaning toward the Viper 6x but read where the fov is a bit narrow. The Fury seems kinda hit and miss and I don't care for the size being larger than my Minox 8's.

If a nice deal comes up on pre-owned I am cartainly interested in that as well so please let me know if you see something there as well. After this I'll be looking toward an entry level scope. ;)

Thanks!

I should have added I have not ruled out a monocular either. Back to a bin, woods carry I would like the greater depth of field. Bike carry, I'm wanting durability, size and weight since it will be carried in a small backpack but don't want something that is such poor quality that it won't get used. Oh, should be waterproof too. It will get banged around a bit so that warranty is very important. I know, I know, champagne taste on a beer budget, lol.

Bottom line is, I really like what I have but don't want to chance breaking any of them. So for a hard user I want the best that $300.00 will buy and a good no nonsense warranty. Thanks again...

Get the Viper 6x32 on discount from Eagle Optics or CameralandNY and don't look back. I don't think you will be dissappointed. They are a great package of nice sweetspot, locking diopter, great build, great warranty and customer service, and excellent ergonomics for the money, IMO. Made in Japan if you care about that.

I have the 6.5 fury and love that too, but it is as large as a lot of x42's. I hate the diopter of the fury on the focus, mainly because it is too easy to move and it doesn't lock. I always check it before I use it.

If you wanted the most compact 6x32 it would be the Katmai. It is not the gold ring warranty, but the green ring is good as long as you are the original owner. Leupold has good customer service.

Last edited:
WiscTJK: "Get the Viper 6x32 ... and don't look back". Having heeded your advice, I now await delivery from New York, which should occur some time next week. I quite like a 6x magnification and have a BuShips 1943 6x30/IF (Universal Camera Corp. NY) which still gives a clear and sharp view after 68 years; a Zeiss 6x18/T*P compact, slightly 'dinkier' than even an 8x20 and thus the ultimate portable bin; and a Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio with a close focus of half a metre, which is great fun. I don't doubt the Viper will complement this small but diverse 6x collection very nicely. I entertained other Vortex 6x examples, such as the Fury and Raptor, but the Viper seemed the best quality/value option...

Last edited:
WiscTJK: "Get the Viper 6x32 ... and don't look back". Having heeded your advice, I now await delivery from New York, which should occur some time next week. I quite like a 6x magnification and have a BuShips 1943 6x30/IF (Universal Camera Corp. NY) which still gives a clear and sharp view after 68 years; a Zeiss 6x18/T*P compact, slightly 'dinkier' than even an 8x20 and thus the ultimate portable bin; and a Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio with a close focus of half a metre, which is great fun. I don't doubt the Viper will complement this small but diverse 6x collection very nicely. I entertained other Vortex 6x examples, such as the Fury and Raptor, but the Viper seemed the best quality/value option...

I hope you are as pleased as I am. At the discounted prices they are really nice bargain. Let us know what you think when you get them.

I can also recommend the 6x32 Katmai as an excellent little bino. Very well built, great DOF, and at 4.1" nothing is smaller. I too think they are overpriced at the normal $400 selling price but if you keep your eye out on ebay, you can usually pick up a used mint one for $ 225 or so.

tom

I forwarded this thread to my friend who subsequently bought a pair of Katmai. He is very impressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back