• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best camera for somebody who wants a good shot of a bird but not really into photography (2 Viewers)

I have used cameras before, most of the time not really knowing what I was doing, but just kind of hoping whatever setting it was at would take a good picture. I still have trouble figuring out how to use them and I'm not really into photography and don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it, but yet I'd like a good picture of a bird to show other people that does the bird justice. Is there a camera you would recommend for somebody like me (camera dumb, but loves birds)? I'd like to get a fairly close up shot but don't want to haul anything around that's really heavy.

Nikon P950 (or older Nikon P900) might suit - there's a bird mode and beyond that you can just zoom and click. Results aren't amazing but decent enough in good light.

I spend a lot of time photographing birds, and went through a period owning a Nikon P1000, which is not a small camera, but similar to the P900, and a similar (or even the same) sensor. These cameras are easy to use with fully auto modes, and high magnification for small birds. Here is one taken from about 20 meters (I think) and then cropped in a little. Its sharp enough, focused, and well exposed, all on fully auto. The only downside to these cameras is they are slow to turn on as you have to wait for the zoom to get into position! Anyway, hope that helps, as it gives you an indication of the quality you could get from this type of camera.

Attachments

• 4E25BE91-2F20-44D8-BEB1-7A0C7DF40D90.jpeg
    4E25BE91-2F20-44D8-BEB1-7A0C7DF40D90.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
The only cameras I have used in the last 30 years are all Nikons.
And for the majority of that period I was using Panasonic.

I think the main take home message is that the bridge cameras are what you need to be looking at. Nikon definitely have some good ones in that segment.
Niels

And for the majority of that period I was using Panasonic.

I think the main take home message is that the bridge cameras are what you need to be looking at. Nikon definitely have some good ones in that segment.
Niels
Agree that bridge cameras seem a good fit here.
However, apart from Nikon's P950 and their massive P1000, there is only the more costly Sony RX10 mod IV.
Canon and Fuji seem to be MIA in this area and Panasonic has been slow to update its FZ330 line.

The P950 Nikon is a great camera but I struggled with capturing birds in flight. So after reading lots of reviews i purchased the Sony RX10 IV and have never looked back the sensor is bigger than the Nikons and the tracking and 24 fps is the best out there. But there is a trade off the Sony has a smaller zoom but I am more then happy with that. It is almost double the price of the Nikon but is worth every penny it is an absolute amazing camera and it's also weatherproof. The Nikon is on the shelf now but will always have a place in my collection. I do still enjoy the huge zoom of the Nikon every now and again. And it is fantastic for long range identification of birds and as well as capturing some nice still shots its very user friendly. But sadly as well as the struggles of tracking birds in flight the Nikon also struggles in low light due to the small sensor. Some of the members on here have probably mastered the drawbacks of the Nikon but I gave up lol.

Kindest Regards Stu

Last edited:
I got the Nikon P900 while on holiday in Australia. Having had Nikon Coolpix cameras in the past I felt comfortable with it almost straight away.

You can have several personal programme modes on it, for immediate use. For instance I put the Birdwatching mode, continuous (takes 7 pictures while you hold the shutter down) onto Scene (the little wheel on the top) I use this one most of the time. That wheel also has automatic programme modes for Landscape, night landscape and night portrait. The wheel also has Manual and Aperture settings. Aperture I have the settings I was advised to use for macro images. You can also adjust the EV, for instance if you're taking a picture with a bird up on a telegraph wire, or top of the tree and is back-lit. That is all I can understand with settings.

There's also a video mode, but I've not worked out how to edit them, so haven't used it yet (except by accidentally hitting that button).

I don't find it takes long to start up, however, I've never used a 'proper' camera. It seems faster than any other camera I've used (all super zooms). I#m in the habit of pressing the On/Off button as I lift the camera, so it's ready to use by the time I'm looking through the view finder.

Flight shots can be difficult, but what I do if the bird is high in the sky, is to find a distant tree (or something else solid) focus on that then switch to the bird in the sky. But if doing this don't zoom in too much, or the bird will be hard to find. I've sometimes wondered if putting the camera into Landscape Mode would help, but haven't tried it!

You can see results from this camera in my Gallery Media added by delia todd I'm pleased with them. With previous cameras I've always struggled to get pictures of a Treecreeper; I've managed a few since getting this camera.

Having said all that, I'm a birder who likes to take pictures of my day out, or to make a record of what's on my patches (my garden feeders, and a few other feeding stations I visit regularly). So I really can't compare the 'quality' of pictures taken with a DSLR, which I couldn't afford, nor carry. I couldn't be bothered taking all the lenses for the range I want to take... 5-20 feet, close-up (macro) and landscapes!

The P900 has been superseded by the P950 and P1000. If you can afford the latest one, I'm sure you'll be happy with it, otherwise you should be able to get the other two second hand or maybe old stock at a much cheaper price.

I can feel some members wincing at my lack of correct terminology LOL

Last edited:
I have used cameras before, most of the time not really knowing what I was doing, but just kind of hoping whatever setting it was at would take a good picture. I still have trouble figuring out how to use them and I'm not really into photography and don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it, but yet I'd like a good picture of a bird to show other people that does the bird justice. Is there a camera you would recommend for somebody like me (camera dumb, but loves birds)? I'd like to get a fairly close up shot but don't want to haul anything around that's really heavy.

I'd say it's a hobby that requires more effort.

Then again, it depends on your definition of 'a good picture'.

Can you put up what you deem to be a good picture?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back