• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best sources for buying Demo Binoculars & Cosmetic Factory Seconds? (1 Viewer)

Laughing Kookaburra

Might be a nice way to buy $900 binoculars at half price or less. I've heard of some really nice deals from colleagues. I don't mind outer surface blemishes so long as the glass and inner workings are in excellent condition.

I've had GREAT samples buying demos from Cameraland NY and Eagle Optics. All have honestly looked new, except one that I'd classify "used-excellent". I doubt anyone sells "blems" but I am not sure.

Thanks David - where have you found those demo models listed for sale? On their website, in store or have you called and just asked? Generally what % did you save over new?

I've purchased three Zeiss demos from Eagle Optics.......one with $100 rebate. EO lists demos on their website.

Same as above. Eagle Optics or Camera Land. I never got any at half off although 40% happened a few times. Eagle Optics occasionally sells closeouts of new and unused binoculars at good prices.

Bob

Last edited:
I've had very good experiences with cameralandny.com. Also purchased a demo EDG from a place on ebay that was perfect in every way. Can't remember the vendor, but I can pull it up if you are interested.

Also purchased a few very nice items here too. If you decide on a particular model, put up a WTB on the classifieds. You never know what might be offered to you. That is how I got my Zeiss FL.....

Natchezss offer blems from time to time, with some current Leupold blems here :

http://www.natchezss.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?brand[0]=201018&limit=all&name=&price[from]=&price[to]=&sku=

Their website has been changed recently and no longer shows the closeouts but they do have Swarovski ex-demos & Nikon refurbs listed once in a while :

http://www.natchezss.com/optics/binoculars-monoculars.html#dir=asc&op_condition=19481&order=position

May be worth joining their mailing list.

best wishes,

Last edited:
Best demo I ever bought was from SWFA sample list. It was a Zeiss HT that was labeled as B grade but I could not tell it from new. Got a couple good demos from cameraland but they did shows signs of use. Believe it or not also got really excellent demos from Amazon Warehouse deals. I'd only trust the higher end stuff as the lower range bins can be returns for defects, but they offer a great return policy if your not happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back