• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Iceland or little Glaucous - North Sea (1 Viewer)

Gander

I've got this one down as an Iceland due to softer face expression, beak size and general body size/shape, but it has been pointed out to me that it does tick quite a few boxes for being a Glaucous.

Attachments

• Iceland resize.jpg
    Iceland resize.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Iceland Herring Comparison resize.jpg
    Iceland Herring Comparison resize.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 241
It looks only slightly larger than the Herring Gull alongside, so I suppose we're looking at a male Iceland and a female Herring G in the image?

While agreeing that it doesn't look a particularly brutish bird, to me it doesn't have the typical gentle look of an Iceland. My crude measurement (ruler on monitor!) is that it's also about 10% longer than the Herring Gull. Hence, my vote's for Glauc.
With lots of views, but only two previous comments, it would be interesting to know whether that's because everybody else agrees with Iceland, or is not sure?

While agreeing that it doesn't look a particularly brutish bird, to me it doesn't have the typical gentle look of an Iceland. My crude measurement (ruler on monitor!) is that it's also about 10% longer than the Herring Gull. Hence, my vote's for Glauc.
With lots of views, but only two previous comments, it would be interesting to know whether that's because everybody else agrees with Iceland, or is not sure?

Got my fingers burnt on Gander's previous Iceland / Glauc pic, so decided to hold back so as not to make a fool of myself again . ..

My vote is for Glaucous too. Bigger than Herring, isolated pale tip to bill, typical of 1st wint plumage Glaucous and robust head shape

Got my fingers burnt on Gander's previous Iceland / Glauc pic, so decided to hold back so as not to make a fool of myself again . ..

Ah, but did you get your fingers burnt?! If you look back at the previous thread, there is no consensus: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=337021.
I didn't comment on that thread, but went the same way as you on Gander's North Sea thread, and that's still where my vote would lie. I find it odd how difficult these gulls are in some of Gander's photos, but clearly i.d. from photos isn't always straightforward! Your opinion's as valid as anyone else's, so go on and say which you think it is. It's just a pity we'll probably never know for certain.

I'm leaning towards Glauc based on flat head, 2-tone bill, broad-based non-spiky primaries, large size, and small, piggy, prominently lidded eyes which always strike me on a Glauc.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back