• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Sightings (1 Viewer)

I'd love to see how some of you are compiling these long lists of bino-sightings! On my group outings I get some weird looks when I stare at people's binos too long....even less enthusiasm to my questions or comment about binos.

I get a feeling some of it is socio-economic, maybe it's impolite to talk about peoples' binos, since some folks can't afford fancy expensive ones. The best birders don't seem to spend much time thinking about the glass or want to discuss the merits of 8x vs. 10x while in the field
That’s because most of them are birders and not optics aficionados (geeks). There are some that are both, that that’s probably the smallest group. The dedicated birders are the largest group that I see when I’m out and about. Here’s one today, probably would’ve been beat up or arrested if she noticed, just kidding I asked if I could take the picture, I know the woman. Seems there’s make mallard with a injured wing in the pond that some have been trying to capture to get it help. But it seems to be doing just fine for the last three weeks.

Attachments

• 26B11B6C-B3E5-416C-8F8E-3D331FCF08C6.jpeg
    26B11B6C-B3E5-416C-8F8E-3D331FCF08C6.jpeg
    758.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 3B0CAAF0-5A7E-4EA8-933A-8AC7B4074096.jpeg
    3B0CAAF0-5A7E-4EA8-933A-8AC7B4074096.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 29
Many people are insecure about being judged, maybe even unsure of their own judgment and would just rather not get into it. And there's something about meeting in the field that offers instant bonding over what you're looking at, rather than what with. I'll hand a $2k bin to someone I've never seen before who has none. (Probably not $3k though... good thing I don't have one.)
Same here, sometimes these people don’t even know the model that are observing with. The more advanced birders know their equipment. Most people I hand a $2000 binocular are amazed at the view. Always puts a smile on my face.

If you ensure people use the bino neck strap and you’re there to catch a wayward tripod there shouldn’t be too much issue. Sometimes you need to offer a view of the bird that no one else has even noticed, many are too polite to ask and as noted it’s a good feeling to amaze people with a close up view. Felt a little guilty on my last outing that I’d pretty much been glued to my 60mm scope the whole time, will try to share more next time. If I was to “audit” people’s binocular choices I’d probably not be invited along next time!

Peter

The biggest threat to my equipment would be my best friends! Already learned that lesson....
Handed my 8x32 Ultravid to a friend last year and he said there was some dust on the ocular as he went to wipe it off with the hem of his shirt. He scoffed when I told him not to touch the lens with that shirt, and kept getting ready to do it until I finally yelled at him to not touch the lens with his shirt.

Handed my 8x32 Ultravid to a friend last year and he said there was some dust on the ocular as he went to wipe it off with the hem of his shirt. He scoffed when I told him not to touch the lens with that shirt, and kept getting ready to do it until I finally yelled at him to not touch the lens with his shirt.
Was he getting ready to use his breath to moisten the lenses before the shirt wipe. You know before you rub the dust and dirt around the glass , you want to wet them up a little bit 🫢. Maybe it was an expensive dress shirt, hopefully he wasn’t a house painter or an auto mechanic wearing his work shirt. Should I go on. 😜

Perhaps you need a new friend. A replacement.
Found out during that trip, where I drove them over 1,000 miles overall, that you were right. I'd always mistakenly thought that since I was his friend, that he was mine too. He and his wife have both disowned me and I feel much lighter now, especially since I won't have to worry about him wiping my binoculars with his shirt!

Actually, it really sucks when you finally have to admit to yourself that your friend actually isn't.

Was he getting ready to use his breath to moisten the lenses before the shirt wipe.
How did you know?? Actually that was the big warning, when he fogged the lenses. Just before that he said he needed to clean them for me. Maybe I missed a big opportunity to get them cleaned for free. LoL

How did you know?? Actually that was the big warning, when he fogged the lenses. Just before that he said he needed to clean them for me. Maybe I missed a big opportunity to get them cleaned for free. LoL
Lmao 🤣. Really I can’t stop laughing. I’m visualizing the event at the moment he put the binoculars up near his mouth, priceless. If he wasn’t holding the binoculars that would be a legitimate reason for a two legged takedown 😛.

On a more serious note was it the closeness in the vehicle of the 1000 mile trip that you discovered they weren't your friends, or was it the guys blatant attempted disrespect of your optics that made you come to that conclusion?

I do know exactly what you mean about it sucks when you find out who you thought was your friend doesn’t necessarily feel the same way. I had a buddy of mine that I grew up with, went to grade school with him and were what I thought best friends or at least I thought so for over 30 years. He worked as my office manager in one of my offices. Maybe that wasn’t the best idea, people say you shouldn’t be in business with your friends or family, but that’s another conversation. He started hooking up with a real estate agent from my biggest competitor right up the block. And would you know it , he decides to go bring his license over there where the woman works. The worst part is while we’re having a discussion about him leaving my office without an office manager , without any notice and taking money out of the families mouths to work with my competitors and 30 years of friendship , he says I should be happy for him , that he found love. ☹️😒

Sorry that was a rant.

...was it the closeness in the vehicle of the 1000 mile trip that you discovered they weren't your friends, or was it the guys blatant attempted disrespect of your optics that made you come to that conclusion?
It was really just a matter of doing the math over the years and how he never thought that I deserved to be paid for any of the work I did for him, that he then made money off of. He's even admitted many time he still owes me a few grand, but somehow never follows through on sending me any of it, and I'd gladly let that slide to have been treated like a friend rather than a subordinate. The biggest irony of all is having him accuse me of being a know it all, when both him and his wife's pictures are in the dictionary in place of the definition!

The last straw was attempting to put his shirt on my Ultravids!!!! LoL

Actually, it really sucks when you finally have to admit to yourself that your friend actually isn't.
Nah -- life is too short. It gets so much easier once you dump all that human baggage you've been carrying around. Been there, done that. Moving on.
Somebody I considered a good friend recently asked me after a falling-out, "why are you even still my friend?" I considered his question and decided, he was right -- it wasn't worth it. Haven't called him since. Too bad, he was one of the few people I know who was interested in optics.
I think past 40 one starts to realize that life will end not too far in the future. So, do I need to still be friends with people who are condescending? Who only call, when they need someone to move their furniture? Or when they need money? Definitely no. No matter how long I have known them. That might seem cold-hearted but it really makes life easier.

Guess I’ll have to breath on and shirt clean my own optics then? I only clean when needed, am very aware of any grit and often use moist lens wipes (if there are any close by). Of course I wouldn’t trust any one else to clean my stuff, irrespective of if they are amateur or expert….

Peter

Out this morning on a local audobon field trip again and saw:
Nikon Monarch 7
Pentax AD 9x32
Vortex Viper
Eagle Optics full size roofs x2 (something starting with S? not rangers)
Canon 8x20 IS (me)
Noname chinese 8x42
Vortex Diamondback
Pentax DCF 8x42

Kowa 553
Orion Grandview 65mm ED w/ Pentax XL 10.5
Old fun celestron scope pictured below. Anyone know it? It even had a little dslr style viewfinder!20230403_083318.jpg

Looks like an artillery piece.
It felt like one too. I would imagine metal construction under the armor, MIJ, felt like the little brother to my c90 mak (the same model as this one). Pleasing image quality with no discernable softness at the edge of the ~50 deg AFOV at 20x fixed mag. Low ER, and outdated coatings but otherwise a pleasing instrument.

Went on a Birdwalk with a local club, optics included:
1x NL Pure 42mm
3x EL 42mm
1x Zeiss SF 42mm
1x Nikon Pro Staff
3x Nikon Monarch
1x Vortex Viper

1x ancient Kowa PROMINAR Spotter
1x Kowa 883 (same guy had the NL Pure)

What was interesting to me was this was the highest percentage of premium optics being sported on a recent birding trip. In my area mid-range Nikons tends to dominate.

Met and had a short conversation with a local birder an hour ago. He was carrying a Bresser 32/34, probably an 8x. I did not try them but they looked solidly built, beautiful actually. He twice mentioned he carried them often because they were light. Presumably he found them optically excellent as well because his favorite no holds barred bin was the UV 8x42.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back