• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Straps. What's the best? (1 Viewer)

..... Also, forget about contoured straps. More often than not you will find you have been wearing them upside down all day (without noticing!).
Renze

I actually find the contoured strap that comes with the larger Zeiss FL models pretty comfortable. I have used it and liked it on my 8x42 under the most variable temperature conditions. I agree with the other appraisals, regarding leather and neoprene, however.

I think like binoculars themselves, different straps and harnesses are going to suit different people better -- there is no one best choice for everyone.

I use a wide neoprene strap that I have found to be by far the most comfortable of any I have used (because it is always soft and excels at distributing weight across a wide area), and have never had any problems in hot weather or otherwise. However, I do generally wear a shirt with a collar even in hot weather to protect myself from sunburn and the like, so I rarely deal with any problems that might arise through contact of the neoprene with my skin.

My two cents,
Jim

I got this "deluxe" neoprene Swarovski strap to replace the stock strap on the EL.

Instead decided that the stock strap on the EL wasn't that bad, and replaced the stock strap on the Leica Trinovid, which was rather bad. Plus, the Trinovid is heavier than Swaro EL.

It's supremely comfortable, but the ends are so thin that it always get tangled up. I need something a bit wider. Any other suggestions for a nice neoprene strap?

Attachments

• strap1.jpg
    strap1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Once, in the good old simple days, Swift supplied nicely made woven straps with their binoculars. They had the right diameter, they were very flexible and most importantly, they worked in all weather conditions.

I am still using the original black and yellow woven strap which came with my Swift HHS roofs. I have never felt the need to change it as it works very well for me. It's 38mm wide and extremely flexible so it moulds itself to my neck and is comfortable to wear. The flexibility also means that I can wrap it round the binoculars so that they fit into the rather skimpy leatherette case.

I am slightly wary of the snap fasteners on my new Trinovids. They seem to be relying on holes punched in the narrow webbing straps and pushed over the little pegs in the clips. I guess Leica know what they are doing and they will not end up crashing to the ground.:eek!:

The strap itself incorporates a contoured leather section with a neoprene type backing. It's not too bad but not particularly flexible. It's fine over a jacket or shirt collar but I haven't used it next to bare skin yet.

Ron

I am still using the original black and yellow woven strap which came with my Swift HHS roofs. I have never felt the need to change it as it works very well for me. It's 38mm wide and extremely flexible so it moulds itself to my neck and is comfortable to wear. The flexibility also means that I can wrap it round the binoculars so that they fit into the rather skimpy leatherette case.

I am slightly wary of the snap fasteners on my new Trinovids. They seem to be relying on holes punched in the narrow webbing straps and pushed over the little pegs in the clips. I guess Leica know what they are doing and they will not end up crashing to the ground.:eek!:

The strap itself incorporates a contoured leather section with a neoprene type backing. It's not too bad but not particularly flexible. It's fine over a jacket or shirt collar but I haven't used it next to bare skin yet.

Ron

The Swift straps also came in blue with white lettering. Superb! You can wrap them around your binoculars, Yessir!

With respect to the Leica snap fasteners (hole, peg, clips), I've never experienced any problems or even doubts with these. The opposite however goes for the contoured leather section, where the synthetic material backing started to decompose after a good (two weeks) dose of salt (i.e. sweating). I had to remove all of the stuff to make them look somewhat decent again. See, that's what I mean by modern fancy straps. They make look attractive, but they don't work.

Renze

i have seen the optech super classic strap and i wonder why are these better than the stock straps for a leica ultravid or trinovid ?? They look the same for me !!!

What about the optech pro strap , is this any better ??

Henry,

I've had a kind of Zeiss-strap with a single row of air cells, or air cushions, before I sold my FL's. Looks like the one presented in your link is an advanced, two row model. My impressions of the single-row air cell strap were very favourable, it is as comfortable as a good neoprene strap without the sweat issue. I always wear the strap over a collar, but on hot days the difference between a neoprene strap and the air cell Zeiss strap was noticeable, in favour of the Zeiss strap. The contoured air bubbles allow for air to pass underneath to drain off sweat while still forming a padded neckpiece.

Regards, Ronald

Three pages of posts and nearly 4,000 viewers on straps? Are you guys serious? I can't even believe this is a thread. What's next, best T-shirt to wear in the field? Best ball cap? Best visor for the ball cap?

Really now. Stop it and go look at some birds!

Last edited:
Well , in any case the bino strap industry has come a long way from the days of leather and twine. Inovations in the fields of erginomics and orthapidics have yielded some amazing innovations.

Take photo No1 -" neck traction 2000 .8" it has championed the idea of comfort - with a plush neck cushion that dispaces the weight load over the entire neck. Downfalls in mobility are offset by suprising stability while using larger magnifications.

Photo no 2- the "whiplash soft cervical collar" was designed with a similar philosiphy but uses a tempur-pedic material that some find more diserable

Photo No 3 - perhaps most inovative the " trachia quick release "( patent pending) uses a simple male/female adapter joint that makes hooking up your bins literally a snap . B :)

Attachments

• necktraction-collar-06.jpg
    necktraction-collar-06.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 123
  • whiplash_cervical_soft_collar.jpg
    whiplash_cervical_soft_collar.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 123
  • trach2.jpg
    trach2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Same here, one of the reasons why I replaced the stock Trinovid strap. The major reason was that it's too short.

Three pages of posts and nearly 4,000 viewers on straps? Are you guys serious? I can't even believe this is a thread. What's next, best T-shirt to wear in the field? Best ball cap? Best visor for the ball cap?

I don't know Robert, I think a binocular strap is actually an important piece of equipment. Maybe it's you who hasn't given it enough consideration.

Oh and if anyone is typing away about most anything on this site in lieu of being in the field, they have their priorities backward.

I don't know Robert, I think a binocular strap is actually an important piece of equipment. Maybe it's you who hasn't given it enough consideration. ...

Hi Kevin,

Yes, in BALANCE, it IS important. But it's also EASY. I went to the store. I looked at all the straps. I bought a strap I like. I went home and watched some birds.

Next step: I'll get a pair of bins to go with my new strap. Which one's do you guy's think will go best with my new strap (I got the "Strapo 5000", by Advanced Strap Design and Lapel Clips, Ltd. The rather lengthy strap manual suggests that it will attach to almost any pair of binoculars).

Good Cheer,
Robert

3:)3:)3:) I must be missing something too.

Alright Robert,
I'm determined to make this more complicated for you! There's more to a strap, damn it, then buying one and using it.

To the photos...

On the Leicas I use the Optech section to attach to the binos and use mostly Leica straps, sometimes the Optech strap for the bruiser 10x42s,
-OR-
remove the strap altogether and connect to the shoulder straps of one of my day packs which have compatible fasteners attached.
The latter being supremely comfortable for all day use while hiking.

With the Nikon Prostaffs, I don't want a neck strap at all. Here I simply tether them (sometimes) to my wrist so as not to drop them.

There, do you now see the errors of your ways? ;)

Attachments

• 8x32 1 text.jpg
    8x32 1 text.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Leica 1.jpg
    Leica 1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Leica 7.jpg
    Leica 7.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 235
  • Nikon Strap.jpg
    Nikon Strap.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back