• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Best binoculars for ..." (1 Viewer)

Ted Y.

Forum member
Canada
Can you recommend a website, book, or other who asks, before deciding the best binoculars:
-what do you want to observe (small birds, big game, stars, buildings, ...)
-how far (20m, 200m, 500m, 1 zillions km...)
-light conditions (harsh light, dim light, twilight, ...)

How a binocular can be the best for different situations? In the opinion of a lot of web sites.

Can you recommend a website, book, or other who asks, before deciding the best binoculars:

How a binocular can be the best for different situations? In the opinion of a lot of web sites.
I would recommend birdforum.com. It's got a lot of info but you have to dig for it. :LOL:

But there a lots of others...
etc.

The wikihow page has some serious faulties.
The person who wrote it has not understood magnification. In both paintings to describe differences the shown difference is way too small.
Magnification is scale: 7x means the side of the magnified object increases 7x. And 10x that the side increases 10x. You can clearly see this not the case in the picture.
If naked eye is like the image to left, the 7x is only around 2x and 10x only around 4 times.

Screenshot_20231129_135114_DuckDuckGo.jpg

And I wonder about his statement. Opt for plastic lenses? Which high class binocular uses plastic lenses? I have never heard about that.

Screenshot_20231129_135244_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Binoculars are a complicated subject. This forum and cloudynights are the best on the interwebz for binocular nerds and quality info.

If you are looking for definite answers or people who will make a decision for you, there are probably plenty of '10 BEST BINOCULARS FOR ALL YOUR OUTDOOR NEEDS IN 2023!' websites.

If you are looking for quality info and lots of friendly banter, you will find it here.

If you want to know what suits you best for each specific category, there is no other way but experimenting and gaining experience on your own.

edit. Sorry, I thought you were a new member :D

I would recommend birdforum.com. It's got a lot of info but you have to dig for it. :LOL:
Yes, true and true. My questions is about the diversity of conditions for observation or BF is somehow more about 8x and 10x and the best of the best are good for everything. A lot about FOV and transmission, very little about resolution which is very important for twilight situation when human vision has problems (contrast, colors,)
Meaning, BF does not answer my questions.
If you are looking for definite answers or people who will make a decision for you
No and no
I am looking for people sharing their experience in comparing binoculars as described. Not comparisons using technical sheets.

If you want to know what suits you best for each specific category, there is no other way but experimenting and gaining experience on your own.
True. Also is true we must learn from the mistakes of others. And success.

edit. Sorry, I thought you were a new member :D
Exactly an attitude not needed in this thread.

Last edited:
You placed the questions like if you were not aware that you were already at one of the most eminent sources at internet of information about binoculars.
I agree. Even if true, BF has limitations. Or at least the content in binoculars folder has limitations.

Last edited:

Basically any binocular observation book should be useful in that regard.
Even within certain areas of "binocular use" there are huge differences.
Astronomy -- depends on the quality of your sky, the objects you want to observe, etc. But in general -- better skies mean, you can use larger exit pupils as there is less light pollution and larger magnification leads to more shaking, so either a tripod becomes necessary past 10x or maybe 12x maximum or you need to go down in magnification.
For my purposes an EWA 7x35 is my preferred instrument.
For small birds -- large FoV if you wanna watch them in flight and choose magnification depending on most common distance to target.
For buildings -- little to no pincusion distortion would be preferrable, so don't use an old wide angle porro with tons of pincushion. I prefer either smaller FoVs for that type of use, where pincushion is less obvious sometimes or a bino that has low pincushion in general. Maybe a Komz BPO 7x30 even though I never used it specifically for that purpose. Favourite for sightseeing in cities is one of my skeleton binos in 8x20.
Lighting conditions: Harsh light -- smaller exit pupil or even models that have a slight tint to the image, like the UV-filtering military binos I own.
Dim light/twilight -- larger exit pupil, like a 10x56 for example. Also -- the UV-filtering models come in handy in twilight since they give a more natural view under those conditions. There is a reason, we call it "blue hour". Filter out the blue spectrum and colors become more natural in twilight.
Regarding the "best in all situations" then a 8x42 might come to mind. Bright enough for most situations, not too large or heavy, not too specialized.
But many swear by 10x magnification claiming 8x is not enough for their purposes, so once again, not really easy to make a general recommendation.
I'd have a hard time choosing between my DDoptics 10x45 with AK-prisms or my Fuji HC 8x42 for my personal best all-around bino. If in doubt, I think I'd go for more magnification, so 10x45 it is.
My "sweetspot" for binos is somewhere in the 6.5x32, 7x35, 8x32, 8x42, 10x42/45 area. Everything outside that range is for me too specialized in one or another area.

Sounds like you might be interested in Neil English's new book "Choosing & Using Binoculars". It looks fairly comprehensive but I haven't seen it, and don't know exactly how much attention it devotes to the specific demands of different applications. Frankly I think most people figure this out to their own satisfaction from information they find (especially here) and inevitably through experience, but you've read a fair amount of the forum by now and still seem to want it all laid out systematically in one place, so this could be worth a look.

BH Photo Video website has many hundreds of owner reviews and if you check the low ratings you can see if the problem they encountered is applicable to you. Higher magnification provides more detail but also are more difficult to keep steady, especially when on the deck of a small boat. Larger diameter objectives provide more light but are also going to result in heavier and more expensive binoculars.

Only you can decide how much weight you can tolerate and how much you care to spend and how much magnification works the best for you.

Best to get in contact with birding clubs and go on outings where you can try other people's binoculars in a real world setting. You can read reviews and look at MTF numbers but it is more useful to try a wide range of binoculars and learn first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back