• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular upgrade (1 Viewer)

Update time!

Today I tested the Zeiss Conquest 8x42 against the Zeiss Victory SF 8x42. This was not planned because I went for a Victory Pocket vs Swarovski CL comparison. Also I could test a Leica Noctivid 10x42, first Leica experience and a second hand Zeiss Conquest 8x56.

Conquest v.s. SF: A brick v.s. a pack of oatmeal (but one in a sturdy package), what a difference between those two in build and weight. Optically, they are both great but one is even greater. Found a peregrine falcon sitting on a church tower about 350/400 meters away while testing all the binoculars. I could recognize the bird with all of them (first year bird). The SF made everything even better what a view.

I hoped to just go in the store, choose a compact and take it with me everywhere and be done with that chapter, but they are all difficult to use. The Zeiss a bit more easy because of the one hinch, it's quicker. Both are great in every optic part but just, small, tiny, difficult. I like the idea of having a binocular with me even in difficult conditions but they are tiny in every way.

The big thing I found out is that I have been extremely lucky with every binocular I've had until this day. The biggest difference between them all for me is ease of use. I pick em up, look through em, and it's immediatly perfect or I have to adjust things here and there.

I wear glasses, and a compact is trying to find the best place, even pushing against my glasses! Without glasses it's more like hovering. But all in all I found it really difficult to get a undisturbed round view.

But with the other binoculars I had the same problem, finding a quick nice and round view. The Conquests did not do that immediatley but the SF did. It's not just a wider FOV but more of a less black around the edges view! How do people get a almost no black around the edges view? Is that something I do wrong?

Update time:
Today I was testing the Zeiss Victory SF in overcast weather, ergonomically briliant. Optic wise, a bleu glare around the edges and some orange glare when light came frome the sides. But perfect in every other way. The Swarovski EL had a brilliant picture but close focus is 3m. Not to much of a problem. But, then the Leica Noctivid. I don't know why I hadn't tested that one before, maybe because of the cost but then the shop owner told me I could buy the Leica for less then the Zeiss. I really liked the optics more then the SF. I bought it! I mentioned before that I tested the Leica, but that must have bin a different model. I don't know but today in overcast weather it was my favorite. And it wasn't even in my Excel sheet of possible binoculars!!

Last edited:
Update time:
Today I was testing the Zeiss Victory SF in overcast weather, ergonomically briliant. Optic wise, a bleu glare around the edges and some orange glare when light came frome the sides. But perfect in every other way. The Swarovski EL had a brilliant picture but close focus is 3m. Not to much of a problem. But, then the Leica Noctivid. I don't know why I hadn't tested that one before, maybe because of the cost but then the shop owner told me I could buy for less then the Zeiss. I really liked the optics more then the SF. I bought it! I mentioned before that I tested the Leica, but that must have bin a different model. I don't know but today in overcast weather it was my favorite.

Glad you found a binocular that you like! On a side note, I have seen that blue ring around the SF view too. You are not alone on that one!

That is some impressive evaluation for sure, I'm intrigued by those two binoculars but unfortunately they are not for sale in Europe. I'll try to find and test them when I visit Canada later this year.
They are impressive ! Since my post i purchased a set of Alphas. I bought some mint Zeiss T FL 8x42 With the updated Lotutec coating. I love the balance and flat field. As nice as they are and some will say i'm crazy but the Alpen Teton ED HD Abbe edge them in brightness, resolution, color saturation. The Snypex knight d ed 8x50 edge them as well to my eyes. I'm no bino expert. Just an avid hunter for 43 years. I cannot for the life in me figure out how the Alpen Tetons with abbe prisms are not sold out or getting any attention. They can be found for $499 on optics planet right now. I have tried numerous times to beat them. Maven B2 9X45, Leupold Santiam, Kowa Genesis, Nikon HG, Zeiss Conquest hd, Zeiss Victory TL , Meopta b1 plus and many more and yet the Tetons are still in the truck. Lol The Snypex Knight D ED Are awesome but barely fit me. I have narrow ipd and cannot use them with the lens covers on.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 24
Update time:
Today I was testing the Zeiss Victory SF in overcast weather, ergonomically briliant. Optic wise, a bleu glare around the edges and some orange glare when light came frome the sides. But perfect in every other way. The Swarovski EL had a brilliant picture but close focus is 3m. Not to much of a problem. But, then the Leica Noctivid. I don't know why I hadn't tested that one before, maybe because of the cost but then the shop owner told me I could buy for less then the Zeiss. I really liked the optics more then the SF. I bought it! I mentioned before that I tested the Leica, but that must have bin a different model. I don't know but today in overcast weather it was my favorite. And it wasn't even in my Excel sheet of possible binoculars!!
I have been getting strong feelings of deja vu while following your binocular journey. I had that same eureka moment the first time I tried the Noctivid, and also bought them immediately. 😁

Congratulations! 🥂

Last edited:
I have been getting strong feelings of deja vu while following your binocular journey. I had that some eureka moment the first time I tried the Noctivid, and also bought them immediately. 😁

Congratulations! 🥂
I really don't see much on the Noctivid. May have to check them out. There are no real optics dealers in my area so i have to read alot of reviews and just order over and over and see for myself. My personal experience seems to differ from expert reviews at times. Lol If you could mail me the Leicas to try i would appreciate it. Lol Now i'm going to check them out. Thanks alot !

I really don't see much on the Noctivid. May have to check them out. There are no real optics dealers in my area so i have to read alot of reviews and just order over and over and see for myself. My personal experience seems to differ from expert reviews at times. Lol If you could mail me the Leicas to try i would appreciate it. Lol Now i'm going to check them out. Thanks alot

I have been getting strong feelings of deja vu while following your binocular journey. I had that some eureka moment the first time I tried the Noctivid, and also bought them immediately. 😁

Congratulations! 🥂
And I was not prepaired for that moment.

I really don't see much on the Noctivid. May have to check them out. There are no real optics dealers in my area so i have to read alot of reviews and just order over and over and see for myself. My personal experience seems to differ from expert reviews at times. Lol If you could mail me the Leicas to try i would appreciate it. Lol Now i'm going to check them out. Thanks alot !
I found one store nearby, half hour drive, with at least a 200 different binoculars and maybe a 25 spotting scopes. Wow.

I found one store nearby, half hour drive, with at least a 200 different binoculars and maybe a 25 spotting scopes. Wow.
Im pretty sure my Wife is glad we don't have such a store like that around here. Lol I would probably try to work there part time on the wknd : )

They are impressive ! Since my post i purchased a set of Alphas. I bought some mint Zeiss T FL 8x42 With the updated Lotutec coating. I love the balance and flat field. As nice as they are and some will say i'm crazy but the Alpen Teton ED HD Abbe edge them in brightness, resolution, color saturation. The Snypex knight d ed 8x50 edge them as well to my eyes. I'm no bino expert. Just an avid hunter for 43 years. I cannot for the life in me figure out how the Alpen Tetons with abbe prisms are not sold out or getting any attention. They can be found for $499 on optics planet right now. I have tried numerous times to beat them. Maven B2 9X45, Leupold Santiam, Kowa Genesis, Nikon HG, Zeiss Conquest hd, Zeiss Victory TL , Meopta b1 plus and many more and yet the Tetons are still in the truck.

Good on you for finding a binocular that works so well for you, it's not always easy.

As for whether or not others think you're crazy - who the f... cares? Yours as the end user is the only opinion that really matters.

One thing I found out is that no binocular is perfect. But the service can be. After a few weeks I found the focus wheel a bit 'gritty'. Just came back from the store with a new Leica. Got to test 3 or 4 out of the box new shipment noctivids to replace mine. 2 of those had the same gritty feeling. So while the focus wheel is not perfect, at least I got to choose the best one.

Update time, after almost a year of viewing wildlife through this binocular. I took it to Canada where I was viewing loons, kingfishers, cranes, hummingbirds, grizzly bears and landscapes. The detail is astonishing in bright weather and snow! Green is the most abundant color in the pacific north west. The Leica was always true to color from the ocean to the coastal rainforest and deep snow conditions inland (I was there early spring, inland winter and on the coast spring). I read about some binoculars that just show to much of a specific color, especially in areas like the pnw that shows. I can tell you the Leica is perfect there! To much blue or green just doesn't work there at all.

Well I took it to many places, mostly in Europe an enjoyed it everywhere.

But then this winter I was on a walk on a cold and misty morning. In the forest and reed ponds. Grey weather and everything looked so dull. This is where the Leica excelled. It was a if I could see every detail and every color in any bird I laid eyes on. A wren and a tree creeper where so vivid in color and detail. A great egret, slow moving because of the cold was just astonishing. That grey form up ahead in that dead tree? Probably a common buzzard. Ow wait I can see the color of every feather now! A kingfisher, also slow moving in the cold, well just marvelous. I was searching for a bearded reedling in the reeds but couldn't find it, still wondering how those colors would have showed.
It was if I was new to birding again, the detail on those 'common' birds made them as if I was watching a whole new species!

Bottom line, very happy with my choice.

Last edited:
After a few weeks I found the focus wheel a bit 'gritty'. Just came back from the store with a new Leica. Got to test 3 or 4 out of the box new shipment noctivids to replace mine. 2 of those had the same gritty feeling. So while the focus wheel is not perfect, at least I got to choose the best one.
That's interesting to hear. I have experienced exactly the same problem with my NL Pure. I didn't get on with the focus wheel position on the Noctivid, and preferred the SF and NL design, in that respect. But it is curious to hear that two of 'the big three' alpha binos have an occasional problem with grittiness in the focus wheel. The SF still seems to have the best design, there.

That's interesting to hear. I have experienced exactly the same problem with my NL Pure. I didn't get on with the focus wheel position on the Noctivid, and preferred the SF and NL design, in that respect. But it is curious to hear that two of 'the big three' alpha binos have an occasional problem with grittiness in the focus wheel. The SF still seems to have the best design, there.
Yes! The SF never failed on that point. If it wasn't for the blue rings that one would've been my first choice. Plus the to much green I read about that just doesn't work everywhere. To be honest the focus wheel on the Noctivid still is incomparable with the the Zeiss SF one. I'm tempted to buy a SF one day just for that. The 10x42 didn't have any blue rings.....

just FYI, for me, the "blue ring" and blackouts on the 8x42 SF's were caused by the eyecup being in the wrong position. I bought a pair for the "ultimate" upgrade and was pretty scared after a session in open terrain with bright sun, I had near-constant blackouts and flashes of blue color.

Then, after reading reports on the internet, I realized that the eyecup was not extended far enough for my eyes, even in the outermost clickstop. I needed to extend them all the way, then unscrew them for 1 to 1 and 1/2 turns, now they work about 100 times better. (Yes, it is appalling to me that an instrument of this price would need a workaround and rubber o-rings to keep the eyecups in place.)

The Swarovski SLC, which is now marketed as the Kahles Helia S, is perhaps at an interesting price/quality ratio.

It's very nice (and the Kahles is a bargain if you can bear the Brown and Orange armour) but check that you can focus to infinity if you are short-sighted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back