• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins for a child. (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

I've not given much (any) thought to this in the past, but after having our grand-daughter away to a reserve today when she was getting to grips with my wife's Nikon 10x and showing a real interest, I'm thinking that with her birthday (7th) coming up in a couple of weeks I might get her a pair of bins to help cultivate her interest. Something small and light, 8x25 or something like that, but not ridiculously dear, bearing in mind her lack of years, but also something that will give a reasonable image quality, so that she doesn't have her interest killed by looking through something like a beer bottle.

She's bright and not destructive of her possessions, so I don't mind risking a few quid, as long as it's not silly money.

Any suggestions?

I've not given much (any) thought to this in the past, but after having our grand-daughter away to a reserve today when she was getting to grips with my wife's Nikon 10x and showing a real interest, I'm thinking that with her birthday (7th) coming up in a couple of weeks I might get her a pair of bins to help cultivate her interest. Something small and light, 8x25 or something like that, but not ridiculously dear, bearing in mind her lack of years, but also something that will give a reasonable image quality, so that she doesn't have her interest killed by looking through something like a beer bottle.

She's bright and not destructive of her possessions, so I don't mind risking a few quid, as long as it's not silly money.

Any suggestions?
People seem to like the Kowa YF 6x30 and 8x30, which I understand were originally designed with kids in mind. They're only $100. I've never used them but hopefully others here will chime in.

My experience with the Papilios is that whilst they give excellent views they are not particularly robust. If have broken an eye cup, the focus knob, and they occasionally loose collimation. (Winding the focus knob back and forth to infinity eventually gets things back in line.)

+1 for Kowa YF 6x30.
Whatever you choose, make sure you check the IPD (interpupullary distance, horizontal distance between the two eyes) of your granddaughter before buying. The Kowa YF goes down to 50mm, so should work, but many binos go only down to about 56 mm or more and may be tight for children‘s anatomy.
Other options would be Bushnell Natureview 6x30 or Vixen Atrek 6x30, if you can find them somewhere (both go down to 49mm).

Canip

Also consider the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21. Very small and light with very good optics, superb close focus for studying bugs and whatnot, and the lower magnification will help the little one hold it steady.
I agree, the Papilio is great. But Minimum IPD of the Papilio is 56 mm, which may be tight for a 7 year old

Barred wobler, post 1,
You will make your granddaughter happy from the age of 7 up to 97 years with a Swarovski Curio 7x21 which has a large IPD range from 32 to 74 mm and she will still be grateful to you when she is 87. It costs you a few pennys, but the happiness of your granddaughter is worth much more.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi,

one more vote for the Papilio II 6.5x21 - my 5 year old godchild loved it... IPD was fine.

PS: You can sneakily measure the IPD after she has set up and used another pair of yours...

Joachim

Any suggestions?

lots of RSPB reserve shops sell binoculars, if you aren’t too far from one maybe take your granddaughter along and field test a few pairs ?

Top class piece of grandading right there - well done

👏🏻

Another vote for Kowa YF, or perhaps a Vortex Diamondback 8x32 if you want to spend a little more.

There are many prior threads on this forum about binoculars for children, a search will turn up many hits.

The usual notes:

1. IPD. Best to measure, young children (and even some adults) have narrow IPD.

2. Porro. At low-moderate price points porros perform better than roofs. Consider reverse porros if standard porros are too large/heavy.

3. Power. 6-7x will be easier to hold steady than 8-10x.

4. Weight. The 30/32mm porros listed are all about 500g, probably the weight limit for young children. Consider a harness for extended use.

5. Eye relief. Depending on eyeglass use and facial structure (deepset eyes etc), more ER could be needed.

6. Eyecups. Some people like twist-up for ease of use with eyeglasses, others prefer rubber for comfort when using without eyeglasses.

Popular suggestions:

Kowa YF 6x30
original designers had young children
10 year warranty
50mm min IPD
waterproof
ER 20mm
poor close focus (5m)
Twist-up

Leopold BX-1 Yosemite 6x30
clone of Kowa (same design & flaws)
lifetime warranty

Opticron Savanna WP 6x30
very similar to Kowa
average close focus (3m)
10 year warranty
50mm min IPD
waterproof
ER 21mm
Twist-up

Pentax Papilio II 6.5x21 (reverse porro)
outstanding close focus (50cm)
lightweight 290g
not waterproof
ER 15mm
56mm min IPD
(for me) hard to get correct eye placement
Twist-up

Not mentioned often:

Oberwerk 6.5x32 LW
similar to Kowa/Opticron
waterproof
ER 19mm
min IPD 51mm
poor close focus (6m)
Twist-up

Helios Aquila 6.5x32
similar to Kowa/Opticron
waterproof
ER 17mm
min IPD 49.5mm
Average close focus (3.5m)
Twist-up

Opticron Adventurer T 6.5x32
9.2° FOV
waterproof
ER 18mm
min IPD 53mm
short warranty (2 years)
Average close focus 3m
heavy 549g
Rubber

Vortex Vanquish 8x26 (reverse porro)
lifetime warranty
Lightweight 360g
good close focus (2.3m)
56mm min IPD
ER 15mm
Twist-up

Last edited:
Warranted 2nd hand from a dealer always a good option.
If the interest disappears, or she wants an upgrade, you can sell and recoup your money.
And you can be a little less precious with them.

How about the Nikon Travellite range of binoculars the 8x and 10x are lovely little binoculars with fantastic reviews.

I have a pair of 8x in the car and also take them out when riding my mountain bike.

They are super light and give a fantastic view they are very clear they are also weather sealed and come in a nice little belt pouch.

And they are pretty cheap but don't let that fool you they are Nikons and very well made.

Kindest regards

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back