• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird books for Hawaii (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I have been planning a trip to Hawaii for quite some time, but finding suitable books and other sources of info seemed a bit tricky for a while. Aside from traditional travel guide books, for literally decades I have owned the classic "The Birds of Hawaii and the Tropical Pacific" by Pratt, Bruner and Berrett (bought it in 1987). Van Perlo's book "Birds of Hawaii, New Zealand, and the Central and West Pacific" was added to my stock in 2011. Neither of these books makes it easy to get an overview just for the Hawaii archipelago. There is simply too much in addition in those books. Besides, the first of these books is very dated (a new edition has long been in the works), and I don't think the plates in the second book do the species justice. I have also owned the fine book by Les Beletsky "The Ecotravellers' Wildlife Guide" which I bought in 2003. That's definitely a book one might feel it would be sufficient. The plates are very good, and the book has considerable info on other species groups. For a considerable while, I felt that I would not need any other book. But at some point, I came to the conclusion that I wanted more info on the bird species and on where to look for them. That's when the great book "Enjoying Birds and other wildlife in Hawaii" by H. Douglas Pratt came into play. Fortunately, I was able to find it, as it seems to be in somewhat short supply. That book has become my major site guide, to the point that I felt the need for a more compact and updated version. One gets lost in all the detailed text at first, though it will definitely be one of the books I'll take along. Pratt and Jeffrey issued a fine compact book that provided the quick overview I was after: "A Pocket Guide to Hawai'is Birds and their Habitats." (https://www.nhbs.com/a-pocket-guide-to-hawaiis-birds-and-their-habitats-book) The present edition dates from 2013, and it has already gone through four printings. I think, I should have started with this book first, as it provides a fine overview about the ecology and the field marks without going into all that many details. I my case, I came across this book by accident. And a word of caution is appropriate if one wants to order it through Amazon. They have the right picture but for a simpler book by the same authors. Thanks to a reviewer's comments I refrained to order from that source. However, NHBS is rather expensive in this case: The list price printed on the book is $ 8.95, but NHBS sells it for $26 (plus postage). But then, they have the book in stock and thus can deliver in due time. Another book that I got recently, is "A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Hawai'i" by Jim Denny. This book has larger photos and a bit more species by species text than the other books, yet it is still relatively compact. A final book is still on its way directly from Hawaii "Hawaii's Birds" by the Hawaii Audubon Society. I saw it listed from other sources, but only the direct order guaranteed the newest (7th) edition. Not sure yet whether I'd really need all these books, but I usually prefer to have rather a bit too many than risking to miss out on something good.

Last edited:
Have you seen Pyle, R. L., and P. Pyle. 2017. The Birds of the Hawaiian Islands: Occurrence, History, Distribution, and Status. B. P. Bishop Museum, Honolulu, HI, U.S.A. Version 2 (1 January 2017) http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/birds/rlp-monograph?

No, I had not seen a reference to it, only to "Version 1". But that's going too far for an upcoming 20-day visit.

Meanwhile, I also got the "Hawaii's Birds" booklet mentioned in my previous post. But despite the fact that I ordered directly from the Hawaii Audubon Society, they sent me the 6th edition (eighth printing), not the 7th edition they advertise in their shop's web page. That means info is at least 12 years older than in the 7th edition. Not sure whether that is very critical, but I think could have got that older version considerably cheaper elsewhere as postage from Hawaii amounted to way more than the price of the booklet.

Edit: checking that statement a bit more closely, the cheaper offers I had in mind are for the fifth and thus even older edition. However, I now found out that Buteo Books sells the 7th edition at the same price as Hawaii Audubon. But postage should be much lower from this source. From the outside, all the three editions mentioned here look exactly alike, by the way.

Last edited:
............ That's when the great book "Enjoying Birds and other wildlife in Hawaii" by H. Douglas Pratt came into play. Fortunately, I was able to find it, as it seems to be in somewhat short supply. ............

Out of curiosity, I checked whether the book is available now. BookFinder.com lists almost a hundred copies, mostly used, but some new. However, they are almost all of the first or second edition (193 or 209 pages) of 1993 and 1996. I found two listings for the third edition, though they still list them under 1996. Actually, it came out in 2002. The important point, however, is that the 3rd or revised edition is named. This edition has 284 pages! Out of these, 12 pages are dealing with Midway Atoll. This part is unfortunately now only a teaser. Apparently, there is no way to get out there with any reasonable efforts.

................, I now found out that Buteo Books sells the 7th edition at the same price as Hawaii Audubon.........

Update: After my complaint, I got the message from Hawaii Audubon Society (HAS) that the 7th edition of "Hawaii's Birds" is still being worked on, apparently. Thus, those references to the 7th edition would refer to what will become available in the future (some time in 2018, it seems). Meanwhile, HAS changed their store info to "6th edition".

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back