• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird calls in Northern CA (coastal) (1 Viewer)

Lae

Hello, I just joined this forum because I’ve been hearing some bird calls in my neighborhood that I’ve been having trouble identifying.

https://youtu.be/WSJjXuKBoHg
This is the video I took (I couldn’t figure out how to attach a video otherwise). There are potentially two different species in the video I’m having trouble identifying. I can hear the barn swallows, but could someone help me identify the bird species that can be heard at the very beginning of the video in the background, as well as the bird species that is singing from the power line? I can’t figure out what these two species are. The bird on the power line was about the size of a barn swallow or a robin, and this video was taken in late May. I’ve also heard these birds throughout June and this month. This video was taken a few miles inland from the ocean and in an open, fieldlike area.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!! Thank you!

Welcome to BirdForum Lae!

The bird on the power line is a White-Crowned Sparrow. As for the other bird, it is difficult to make out in the first seconds of the video but at 8 seconds I think I might hear a faint Swainson's Thrush. Since you heard it, you could double-check this with recordings online to determine if this is what you heard. I visited the area recently and these two species were quite common.

Unfortunately you cannot directly attach videos to your post here on BirdForum. Rather than providing a link to YouTube, which is perfectly fine, it may be simpler in the future to use a program online which strips the audio from the video and saves it as an mp3 file, which you can directly upload here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back