• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Feeding with WBU "no mess" seed blend (5 Viewers)

jbissell

Hello,
This year, Im switching over to a completly no waste seed blend from Wild Birds Unlimited. It contains 40% hulled White Millet, 40% Hulled Sunflower, and 20% Peanut pieces. I was just wondering if anyone else in the US, Canada or anyplace that has a Wild Birds Unlimited has used this blend and if they have had success. Im using a hopper, and counting on some seed to scatter on the ground long enough for some native sparrows to enjoy it. My concern is Cardinals. I have always had Cardinals when I used Black Oil, and Im hoping they wont mind the hulled sunflower. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John Bissell
Grimes, Iowa

I echo Steve's comments,which is now why I have put the seed into the Squirrel/large bird proof feeders,so none is scattered.The small birds take exactly what they need,and the seed is lasting twice as long.

That's an excellent idea, Christine - the seed we lose on the garden is hardly touched and just goes to waste - and tha quantity isn'y small. The finches, especially, seem to eat just a small part of each kernel. The squirrel-proof feeders would save all that waste. Now why didn't I think of that before! I was thinking of somehow gluing a plate onto the bottom of the feeder - it might be a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:
John - you should have one feeder with black-oilers. I've been feeding the same mix and I've noticed a decline in cardinals that come to the feeders. Blue Jays also did not come as much. Other than that, it works great - no mess, the birds love it, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back