• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID - Audio only - San Antonio, Tx (1 Viewer)

rubonix

While out yesterday at a local patch, I ran across this song. Could never get my eyes on the bird, but did a short audio recording.

The song happens 3 times in the clip, starting at the top. Repeated note slightly rising in pitch.

Thx for any feedback.

Attachments

• Bird ID McAllister.m4a
    159.3 KB · Views: 30
Thx for the feedback and help. I believe that's correct and we're seeing them starting to return to San Antonio, so makes sense as well.

I am new to Bird Forum, or at least this is my first day back again on it -- and I am very interested in audio recordings. I listened to yours several times. I believe it is a male and female Carolina Wren, or perhaps another wren. I haven't been to San Antonio, Texas, but Sibley's map of the distribution of Carolina Wrens, seems to make that a possibility. The female gives a rattle call in response to the male's melodious though repetitive song. On your recording both birds can be heard three times. If you go to eBird and listen to some Carolina Wrens there, you may hear both male and female singing together like on your recording.

I am new to Bird Forum, or at least this is my first day back again on it -- and I am very interested in audio recordings. I listened to yours several times. I believe it is a male and female Carolina Wren, or perhaps another wren. I haven't been to San Antonio, Texas, but Sibley's map of the distribution of Carolina Wrens, seems to make that a possibility. The female gives a rattle call in response to the male's melodious though repetitive song. On your recording both birds can be heard three times. If you go to eBird and listen to some Carolina Wrens there, you may hear both male and female singing together like on your recording.
There is both a Carolina Wren and a Northern Parula in the recording. The bird the OP was interested in identifying is the parula, which is singing the rising trill.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back